IGNORED

Famara Diedhiou - Learning?

Davefevs

First half he got pinned between CB and a midfielder dropping in.  Bentley dropped straight balls into him, which is really tough to attack and win.

Second half, especially last 25 mins, he started to attack aerial balls from the side, coming in, and winning flicks (and  deliberate headed passes too) inside to Wells.

No CB likes a striker who runs at him from the side, because you can get knocked sideways and off-balance whilst you’re in the air.  Two players very good at that were Garner and Best (Leon not George).  Wells benefitted from that.

So, a little tactical tweak well executed.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

First half he got pinned between CB and a midfielder dropping in.  Bentley dropped straight balls into him, which is really tough to attack and win.

Second half, especially last 25 mins, he started to attack aerial balls from the side, coming in, and winning flicks (and  deliberate headed passes too) inside to Wells.

No CB likes a striker who runs at him from the side, because you can get knocked sideways and off-balance whilst you’re in the air.  Two players very good at that were Garner and Best (Leon not George).  Wells benefitted from that.

Good spot!

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Good spot!

I know it’s simple stuff, but when you’re the recipient of a flick, you want to know which side it’s gonna go.  If Fam starts on the LCB and is gonna run centrally towards a kick down the middle, it’s much easier for Wells to guess where the ball might go.  When it’s straight down the middle you don’t know if Fam is gonna flick left, right or centre.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think we may see Fam on his own up top more often now. Always been his best role for us imo

Think what we saw today was (hopefully) a new coach affecting change by making player understand where they need to be in different phases of play and with or without the ball and set plays.

Will be watching out for more of this on Wednesday.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That was something I spotted as well, and I admit to knowing nothing about tactics?

The first header he won I thought he’s done well there, but after the second it was obviously a move instrumented by NP, he was after all a CB so will be well versed in what CBs don’t like.

Pearson did say this week that he likes to develop players through their career- will be interesting to see how he develops some of ours and brings about further improvement/attributes, Diedhiou today an example.

Not just young ones either, don't think at most ages players are too old to learn new attributes, improve and develop in certain areas.

It’s a shared philosophy of Pearson too as he explained how player development is key.

“People talk about developing players and think it applies just to young players. I’m a big believer that any player in their career can continue to develop

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/realising-potential-stability-and-first-observations-pearson-gets-to-work-in-bs3/

From his first Interview this week, the Official site.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know it’s simple stuff, but when you’re the recipient of a flick, you want to know which side it’s gonna go.  If Fam starts on the LCB and is gonna run centrally towards a kick down the middle, it’s much easier for Wells to guess where the ball might go.  When it’s straight down the middle you don’t know if Fam is gonna flick left, right or centre.

If he looks first, communicates( eyes body and shifts), peels off he ends up on the half turn he can jump more easily off his standing foot. He may find it easier and its common to jump off his non dominant foot. Its also easier to avoid the contact which greatly favours the CB. Its very simple stuff. He has had and has a habit of crossing legs and dragging his feet. Its inefficient. And non explosive limiting downward pressure - the more downward pressure exerted the greater the spring.

Good spot.

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. I've always had the feeling some managers would have Fam playing far better. No wonder Warnock wants him because he can probably see how to do that, as maybe Pearson can going by that 2nd half 

How many times have I said that LJ changed him from the striker I saw at Angers?

Not saying today was what I saw, but I think LJ coached him into an inferior striker, who he told to just stay in the middle of the pitch (generalisation).

Lets see if Pearson can get more out of senior players, whose development curves are not (supposedly) on the up!!

Pearson, through coaching will make the value of our squad and individual players worth a lot more.

tie down the OOC players and maybe come next January when we’re on an upward curve, said players are in high demand due to performances on pitch created by pearson

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What should a CB do to counter this if a striker attacks from the side like that?

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Noticed myself how he was attacking the ball differently & trying to head the ball across the pitch to potential runners rather than flick it on . Didn’t put it down to NP at the time but it was a noticeable difference in how he attacked the ball . More aggressively as well without clambering all over the defender , giving fouls away 

10 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

What should a CB do to counter this if a striker attacks from the side like that?

Not a lot, except be brave and be prepared to get whacked.

Even if Fam doesn’t win it, as a CB you’ll catch a 6’3” bloke out of the corner of your eye.  Instead of heading forwards it’s unsurprising that you start mis-heading them and they come off the side of your head.

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Noticed myself how he was attacking the ball differently & trying to head the ball across the pitch to potential runners rather than flick it on . Didn’t put it down to NP at the time but it was a noticeable difference in how he attacked the ball . More aggressively as well without clambering all over the defender , giving fouls away 

Can only assume it was NP or even PS / KD, although the fact I’ve never seen him do it before suggests it was NP, using his experience of what CBs hate.

29 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I wonder if Pearson joining will make any difference to FD in terms of his contract situation. Not sure how Middlesboro's wages compare to ours but we've surely now got to be at least as attractive an option football wise? 

I wouldn't be surprised if Fams next move hasn't already been sorted, we just don't know about it yet, sadly. Maybe Turkey or Greece.

Pure guess work on my part BTW.

58 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not a lot, except be brave and be prepared to get whacked.

Even if Fam doesn’t win it, as a CB you’ll catch a 6’3” bloke out of the corner of your eye.  Instead of heading forwards it’s unsurprising that you start mis-heading them and they come off the side of your head.

Can only assume it was NP or even PS / KD, although the fact I’ve never seen him do it before suggests it was NP, using his experience of what CBs hate.

30 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Scan the pitch. Be first.  Be brave (always). Jump earlier. Step in to disrupt the opponents stride. The CB is still the favourite. 

Thanks guys, Appreciate the insight

Ive always been quite brave (stupid) and prepared to take a hit ?

Archived