IGNORED

Our OOC players.

Lanterne Rouge

11 minutes ago, Cardy said:

No way should we be considering Jack Hunt. He is a top earner & his performances are average at best. We need younger legs at full back next season.

Agree. One decent performance doesn’t cloud his general levels of performance which I find far too inconsistent. His offensive play used to help cover his defensive frailties but that seems to have gone missing of late. Hopefully NP can give him the confidence to find that side of his game again consistently, but I’d be looking to strengthen RB and LB in the summer 

We will need a replacement for Fam.  How much will that cost including a fee? Perhaps the best solution is for him to sign a contract.

With Hunt there are younger, better players readily available in this league and league 1. Can see him somewhere in League 1 next season provided he accepts he will be on much lower wedge.

5 minutes ago, The Bard said:

We will need a replacement for Fam.  How much will that cost including a fee? Perhaps the best solution is for him to sign a contract.

With Hunt there are younger, better players readily available in this league and league 1. Can see him somewhere in League 1 next season provided he accepts he will be on much lower wedge.

I think Hunt is a reliable Championship full back and whilst I would agree, we should be looking for an upgrade, I definitely see him staying in the Championship at a club like Rotherham, Luton, Barnsley etc.

I think Baker could be let go because of his injury problems every season. A LB,RB,CD and striker to replace Fam will be needed. Was'nt Fam's agents touting him to a couple of Turkish clubs during last off season ? A radio interview had a link somewhere.

Add the players returning from injury that are still under contract (COD, Weimann - 1yr option, JD, Williams, Martin) and others that didn`t start yesterday (HNM, Moore, Max, AS) plus the kids all of a sudden it doesn`t look too shabby. A couple of decent additions/re-signings in the right positions and barring any sales there are reasons to be optimistic I think now we have (and hope to still have) the right manager.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Add the players returning from injury that are still under contract (COD, Weimann - 1yr option, JD, Williams, Martin) and others that didn`t start yesterday (HNM, Moore, Max, AS) plus the kids all of a sudden it doesn`t look too shabby. A couple of decent additions/re-signings in the right positions and barring any sales there are reasons to be optimistic I think now we have (and hope to still have) the right manager.

I would be surprised if we 'take up the option' on Weimann's current contract. He is on top whack and the option would have the salary specified.  As we all know the financial landscape is entirely different now to when he signed.  I can see us offering him a new deal, maybe for 2 years on a significantly lower wage.  Trouble is I think we'd have to wait for him to come out of contract which obviously risks him getting other offers.  However, he is injured which makes this unlikely as of 1st July.  Pearson knows him from Derby so there's likely to be a clear decision either way.  

There will be room for 8 new signings or so.  This will include any  new contracts for existing players.  Can see us getting maybe 3 proven championship players in plus 5 or so progressive types (ie League 1, or from Rotherham etc).   Weimann, Fam, Baker, Hunt etc would be taking up one of the 3 Championship places. Only Fam ticks all the boxes (ie good enough standard and availability) though Weimann previously had an impeccable injury record.

3 hours ago, citywest30 said:

I think Hunt is a reliable Championship full back and whilst I would agree, we should be looking for an upgrade, I definitely see him staying in the Championship at a club like Rotherham, Luton, Barnsley etc.

Definitely agree. I think Hunt get a lot of stick given that he is a solid Championship level right back. Like others, I agree we need someone else in if we want to compete at the top end but I can easily see him being first choice at a mid table side or even a squad player at another promotion chaser who want experience cover. Way too good for League One, IMO. 

4 hours ago, YGBjammy said:

Good point. I think a lot of the OOC players might be reassessing their plans for the summer as well now. Suddenly things look a lot more optimistic here?

Isn't Fam the only one that we're actively trying to keep? I thought, for all the others, the question was whether they were in our plans, rather than the other way round...

9 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I would be surprised if we 'take up the option' on Weimann's current contract. He is on top whack and the option would have the salary specified.  As we all know the financial landscape is entirely different now to when he signed.  I can see us offering him a new deal, maybe for 2 years on a significantly lower wage.  Trouble is I think we'd have to wait for him to come out of contract which obviously risks him getting other offers.  However, he is injured which makes this unlikely as of 1st July.  Pearson knows him from Derby so there's likely to be a clear decision either way.  

There will be room for 8 new signings or so.  This will include any  new contracts for existing players.  Can see us getting maybe 3 proven championship players in plus 5 or so progressive types (ie League 1, or from Rotherham etc).   Weimann, Fam, Baker, Hunt etc would be taking up one of the 3 Championship places. Only Fam ticks all the boxes (ie good enough standard and availability) though Weimann previously had an impeccable injury record.

Assuming Weimann’s option is a club option, and not based on any performance targets, e.g. appearances to auto extend....then we could just say right now, we don’t want to take option, but we are willing to sit down and discuss a new deal (as you say maybe a 2 year deal).

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Would we be fussed if Mariappa and Hunt left?  I wouldn't.

I don’t think Hunt is anywhere near as bad as sone make out but I wouldn’t lose sleep over it!

I think we need to see Mariappa over the next few weeks. The player I saw yesterday, now fit and in his correct position, looked good. He’s also more of a leader/organiser than we’ve got. At his age, the most he’ll offered is one year. 

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Would we be fussed if Mariappa and Hunt left?  I wouldn't.

I think, with both of them, it comes down to the economics of building a squad. They can both do a job at this level but I'd not see either of them as first team choice next season. It comes down to how much it costs for them to stay and whether we can get better/as good cover at right back and centre back at a cheaper cost. I'm quite fine if both are part of the squad next season but they wouldn't be my priorities to keep. 

Worth considering that while we’re letting a lot of contracts expire, surely lots of other clubs will too as covid hits wallets. Could be a very interesting free agent market this summer. The obvious example being we could let Fam go, and pick up Assombalonga on a free. 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Depends who comes in their place, but I know what you mean.

I think Pereira could have made a good RB in a Pearson side but that boats sailed. 

Might well’ve done, but not to say they might not pull up the anchor again....he’s only on loan at Crotone.

Just now, JonDolman said:

Lots of potential options at right back who are yet to sign new deals.

Smith (Bournemouth), Nyambe, Dalsgaard, Naughton or Femenia who was with Pearson at Watford.

Nyambe, yes.....I wouldn’t be looking at the others per se, I’d be looking at Olusunde and Spence.

I think this is likely to change by the week because I have a hunch Pearson likes Mariappa, (who was with him at Watford) & is an experienced, versatile & presumably cheap squad player.

I reckon he is probably on half what Baker is & even if we go and bring in a first choice CB to partner Kalas, with no natural RB under contract for next season at present maybe he feels he could do the cover role there?

Hunt hasn’t been anything special this season but has played the vast majority of games whilst colleagues have been dropping like flies & at 30 is one Pearson will certainly have to weigh up.

There are loads of Championship players still to be offered new deals though & I reckon the summer will be a buyers market.

5 hours ago, Cardy said:

No way should we be considering Jack Hunt. He is a top earner & his performances are average at best. We need younger legs at full back next season.

5 hours ago, grifty said:

I wouldn't be against getting Sess back on loan for the season again.

Think we could do a lot worse than going back for pereira. 

like the look of RS, just not seen enough of him to asSESS hiw good he actually is/could be. 

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Assuming a back 4, We need 1st choice:-

RB, CB CF

Back up

LB, RB, CF, 2 x wide players,  LCB

Can’t see we can keep Rowe, Pring, Nurse and sign a back up LB.

Even letting Rowe leave means that Pring who will be 24 next season is 3rd choice, the real problem here is Dasilva’s availability record is shocking & we can’t rely on him to play even 30 games based on it so far.

Just now, GrahamC said:

Can’t see we can keep Rowe, Pring, Nurse and sign a back up LB.

Even letting Rowe leave means that Pring who will be 24 next season is 3rd choice, the real problem here is Dasilva’s availability record is shocking & we can’t rely on him to play even 30 games based on it so far.

Pring and Rowe ooc. 

Archived