IGNORED

At what point...

Silvio Dante

...would you formalise an extension to Pearson’s contract.

It sounds flippant after less than a week in the job, but there were two immediate elephants in the room that prevented it being longer originally - that being the threat of relegation and whether NP could work with us. The former of those seems to have subsided, and if the safety target is broadly 50 points, it’d take something cataclysmic for us to go down. Therefore, worst case - we’re in this division next year and we can afford him. 

In respect of the second point, we are still clearly in the “getting to know you” phase - but SL isn’t daft. He’ll have seen the effect Pearson is having and if he continues, NP will doubtless get what he wants (within reason) and allay that concern.

I don’t see another current Champ club poaching him - just because I think we could fend them off, and I think he wouldn’t see it as a step up. However, I do look upwards and specifically to Newcastle and WBA. Both are likely to want new bosses in the summer and he has links with both. If they come down, I could certainly see both targeting him, and if he’s OOC when that happens, it’s putting us at more risk (acknowledge he could just break a contract even if here for longer)

So, do we wait until we’re mathematically safe/give it a few weeks more/end of season/right now?

(Personally Id look at tying things up in the next international break unless he turns all Holden. 5 games more, he’ll have been in a month and both sides can make an informed decision)

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

It sounds flippant after less than a week in the job, but there were two immediate elephants in the room that prevented it being longer originally - that being the threat of relegation and whether NP could work with us. The former of those seems to have subsided, and if the safety target is broadly 50 points, it’d take something cataclysmic for us to go down. Therefore, worst case - we’re in this division next year and we can afford him. 

In respect of the second point, we are still clearly in the “getting to know you” phase - but SL isn’t daft. He’ll have seen the effect Pearson is having and if he continues, NP will doubtless get what he wants (within reason) and allay that concern.

I don’t see another current Champ club poaching him - just because I think we could fend them off, and I think he wouldn’t see it as a step up. However, I do look upwards and specifically to Newcastle and WBA. Both are likely to want new bosses in the summer and he has links with both. If they come down, I could certainly see both targeting him, and if he’s OOC when that happens, it’s putting us at more risk (acknowledge he could just break a contract even if here for longer)

So, do we wait until we’re mathematically safe/give it a few weeks more/end of season/right now?

(Personally Id look at tying things up in the next international break unless he turns all Holden. 5 games more, he’ll have been in a month and both sides can make an informed decision)

I think it’ll be down to things we don’t see off the pitch, how well they are working together behind the scenes and an aligned vision on how the club should operate

I think from both perspectives, staying up is paramount.

We could never afford him if we went down and I don’t think Nige has any intention of managing a league 1 club, whatever the the prospects or circumstances.

I would respect and understand both positions.

I think it's almost a guarantee that NP would and will continue to improve on field performances, but as stated above, it's how interested he is in working with our off-field targets/structure.

Everything he says he likes to work with is seemingly how it is set up here with a team of analysts/scouts bringing him a list of players after the gives them an idea of want sort of player he wants.

I'd be sitting down with him before the end of the season, maybe with 5 games left.

The huddle after the game spoke volumes to me and he is already making huge impressions. The thought of NP on a longer contract and the chance for him to rebuild the side with his players really appeals. For him to leave and the club to go through the “process” again will be frustrating. Yes we are in the honeymoon period and we have to see the reaction after a couple of defeats from the NP and the players. But it feels to me he’s the manager the club have been crying out for a long while. Soon as possible for me

I think the big test would be when we get to a point at the end of the season.  If NP says to Ashton that we need to strengthen with , say, 5 or 6 players capable of turning us into genuine promotion contenders  and Ashton says No, then Nigel could walk. That's my worry. We have the manager but do we really have the will to help him succeed?

The only fly in the ointment is NP's health and if he has fully recovered from Covid.

We just don't know if he is up to the pressure of being a championship manager or even at this stage of his life if he even want's it.

Hopefully he has suffered no long term effects and is refreshed and capable of firing on all cylinders.

He is exactly what this club has needed for years

I think we got him in, and for Steve it was hurried and maybe a little panicked after the abject performance, until the end of the Season to give us a get out if they didn't get on. Nige has this reputation that may have worried Lansdown , apparently the first contact went well and he impressed so SL took that chance, with the get out. Supposing all goes well, everyone plays nicely together and we see some continued improvement , I would hope we sort something before the end of the season. You would want the manager to be approaching the end of the season with an idea what was needed to improve, not only that but with an idea what finances were available. It will be a big and very different summer and I would hope the Manager, staff and the owner were all set for a rebuild well before the break. There will be players available who will be OOC or within their last 6 months and I would hope we would be ready to go, Pearson could/would be a very important part of that.

I wouldn’t be surprised if things didn’t happen on the contract front until after the season ends. I also think that Pearson will dictate on that front though, if current form continues & with the obvious backing of (dare I say it! ) 100% of the fan base, I think Lansdown would offer him a contract by the end of March. I’m not to worried about him being poached either, as I see us able to compete with most in the Championship & quite a few in the bottom half of the Premier League. I also think Pearson will see what he has here very quickly, he’s no mug. Stability, an opportunity to build a club, good sound financial backing, a straightforward owner, as well as an already decently assembled squad. Just think he is a good fit for us & we are a good fit for him. COYR 

Even if Pearson signed a contract with us either of the two clubs mentioned could easily buy him out so that changes nothing. 

What will have more sway for NP would, IMHO, be the potential to build a promotion winning side and to achieve Bob like status in the game. 

The manager who finally puts BCFC on the world map will become a legend more so than a manager who achieves yet another promotion from the second tier to the Prem with habitual yo-yo clubs Newcastle and WBA. 

As you get older job satisfaction becomes more important than huge amounts of money. 

8 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

The only fly in the ointment is NP's health and if he has fully recovered from Covid.

We just don't know if he is up to the pressure of being a championship manager or even at this stage of his life if he even want's it.

Hopefully he has suffered no long term effects and is refreshed and capable of firing on all cylinders.

He is exactly what this club has needed for years

Yes, his health could be the thing that spoils the party. He has had Covid but also arthritis apparently.

I hope we don’t get “Nigel has decided not to extend his contract because of health reasons” at the end of the season.

It could depend on MA and his potential move to Ipswich, there is obviously overlap in what both of them want to be in control of so if MA moves on it makes sense for NP to stay.

Not saying they couldn't work together there would just have to be a realignment of roles and responsibilities. 

33 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think it’ll be down to things we don’t see off the pitch, how well they are working together behind the scenes and an aligned vision on how the club should operate

In my opinion this is bang on the money - if NP is given what he wants to a certain degree with the football matters he will stay. If he’s told to work to a way he doesn’t like or thinks won’t work he will go 

Very confident he will be here at the start of next season having signed a long-term contract. 

If you listen to his interview he talks about "obligations" having to be fulfilled before both parties can agree to a long term deal. I'm sure he means avoiding relegation. Use of the word "obligations" was telling as it's exactly the kind of term you would expect to see in a contract. 

Once we are mathematically safe, maybe even just before, I would expect an announcement of a long-term deal. 

Exciting times ahead. 

Would not surprise me if the contract extension is already in place and agreed. I think it was more to do with if we went down. He wouldn’t want a league one job, and we wouldn't want to be committed to paying his contract in league one. 
I would of expect that the summer recruiting would of been discussed. After all they said they agree to taking the job Sunday night and did not announce until the Monday night so I would assume that was the beyond this season discussion going on in those 24 hours. 

50 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Even if City get a contract with Pearson now and even though I would believe him to be a reputable and honourable person, if a big brother Premier League club came calling in the summer, he would possibly find it difficult to resist. In which case we'd get some compensation and be back to square one.

So for time being, let him get on with the repair of our playing side and getting to know how City operate behind the scenes. If he is genuine, it will enable any/99% of possible problems off the field to be dealt with. Let's not jump off the cliff again as it's very painful as we have seen since Christmas. 

I’d hope that either the parties agreed at the outset, or SL will instigate, for regular reviews through the remainder of the season.

If things continue to go well, then such reviews would pick up the point at which both sides are happy, and want to extend NP’s contract and if things continue on an upward path, the sooner the better. Obviously if there are sticking points for either side, then it will give an early opportunity for them to be addressed if they would otherwise get in the way of agreeing to an extension.

Why wait to the end of the season if on field performance has been very good, but NP has issues with any other aspect of the club that could have been resolved if addressed sooner?

It might be that neither side can work with the other, but I don't think we want to go there, do we?

48 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Very confident he will be here at the start of next season having signed a long-term contract. 

If you listen to his interview he talks about "obligations" having to be fulfilled before both parties can agree to a long term deal. I'm sure he means avoiding relegation. Use of the word "obligations" was telling as it's exactly the kind of term you would expect to see in a contract. 

Once we are mathematically safe, maybe even just before, I would expect an announcement of a long-term deal. 

Exciting times ahead. 

Agree & whilst one week is too early for some to start to fret, those who are saying it can wait until the end of the season are wide of the mark.

We have a large number of players out of contract, need to resolve the futures of the coaching staff and to plan to do better next season.

As soon as we are mathematically safe we should start talking about length of contract, coaching staff & his long term remit within our structure.

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree & whilst one week is too early for some to start to fret, those who are saying it can wait until the end of the season are wide of the mark.

We have a large number of players out of contract, need to resolve the futures of the coaching staff and to plan to do better next season.

As soon as we are mathematically safe we should start talking about length of contract, coaching staff & his long term remit within our structure.

Agreed. If avoiding relegation is first the clause/obligation - once that’s achieved surely Pearson and the club will have had 2/3 weeks at least to “get to know each other” and have any meetings to discuss the path forwards. The hope then it can be tied up by March, at least unofficially.

I guess one stumbling block will be over who Pearson works with going forwards in terms of back room staff etc but I’d imagine the club will grant his requests on that.

1 hour ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Just wait until the end of the season as was initially discussed. That was the plan for both parties. No need to rush anything. 

Yes. Once the season is a dead rubber - ie we are mathematically safe, and also mathematically out of the promotion conversation. Then thoughts can turn to next season.

1 hour ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Just wait until the end of the season as was initially discussed. That was the plan for both parties. No need to rush anything. 

I don’t think that will happen. If things continue as they are , I don’t mean winning every game but continued improvement on & off the pitch then we’d be daft to wait. Bournemouth could well be glancing out way as woodgate is only there short term as well. I’d hope talks were happening soon , finding out what NP would want to work with & if it’s viable for us. If it is then I’d imagine a announcement in April , with a season ticket announcement a week or so after . They’re not stupid . 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

In respect of the second point, we are still clearly in the “getting to know you” phase - but SL isn’t daft. He’ll have seen the effect Pearson is having and if he continues, NP will doubtless get what he wants (within reason) and allay that concerned.

Delighted with the Pearson appointment but lets not get carried away.

The bloke's been in the job for 5 days..

We've played 1 game with him in charge, the first half of which was piss poor. 

Archived