IGNORED

At what point...

Silvio Dante

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

The only fly in the ointment is NP's health and if he has fully recovered from Covid.

We just don't know if he is up to the pressure of being a championship manager or even at this stage of his life if he even want's it.

Hopefully he has suffered no long term effects and is refreshed and capable of firing on all cylinders.

He answered that point in his press conference. 

3 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Delighted with the Pearson appointment but lets not get carried away.

The bloke's been in the job for 5 days..

We've played 1 game with him in charge, the first half of which was piss poor. 

The first half was very much the DH Bristol City . It’ll take more than two training sessions to get us back on track. You could see how well he implemented change second half. While I agree we shouldn’t rush a decision , it needs to be done well before the season ends .

I would expect that Pearson needs a few weeks at least to fully assess the club and I guess there will be discussions at regular intervals and NP will be forthright about his observations.

Ultimately, NP and SL have to come to common ground re the way forward for the club and if NP has a clear and persuasive vision I'm sure SL will accomodate and offer that 2/3 year deal.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

I don’t think that will happen. If things continue as they are , I don’t mean winning every game but continued improvement on & off the pitch then we’d be daft to wait. Bournemouth could well be glancing out way as woodgate is only there short term as well. I’d hope talks were happening soon , finding out what NP would want to work with & if it’s viable for us. If it is then I’d imagine a announcement in April , with a season ticket announcement a week or so after . They’re not stupid . 

Woodgate has a contract until the end of the season. Season ends on the 8th May and that’s when contract talks should begin. People will buy season tickets regardless of whether a contract is signed before the deadline because they will assume NP will still be manager and all the sounds from both parties indicate that will be the case.

I'd also like to see how he reacts and behaves after a loss. That sounds like I want us to lose...I don't, but I think you want to see Nigel in all seasons as it were. 

Easy for him to say all the right things, and for fans to love him after a 3-1 away win. Will it be as easy if we lose 3-0 at home to QPR?

For the record I expect him to react and behave in exemplary fashion, but still, let's see how we feel when things are ugly.

1 hour ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Woodgate has a contract until the end of the season. Season ends on the 8th May and that’s when contract talks should begin. People will buy season tickets regardless of whether a contract is signed before the deadline because they will assume NP will still be manager and all the sounds from both parties indicate that will be the case.

I’m not so sure.  There is a lot of apathy amongst our fan base (and rightly so) and if we are still dithering about retaining NP at the point SC sales are announced I think a contingent of fans won’t buy.

Assuming we are still in this division, you’d hope NP would want to steal a march on free transfers and try to get deals done in principle as early as possible.  Don’t forget you can sign players whenever you like, it’s only registrations that can’t pass out of windows.

There is however good reason that signings take place on 1st July, and thats not just the window, but annual contract bonuses.

But you’d expect a manager like NP to want to get ahead of the game.  He generally seems really enthused by this job, he’s making all the right noises.

2 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Disagree , you’ll get a extra surge of season ticket sales on the back of him signing a long term contract . It brings stability. Some fans who may be thinking they’re not sure might wait until a announcement is made one way or the other. If we continue to improve , it would be ridiculous to wait until he’s out of contract to negotiate. 

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Very confident he will be here at the start of next season having signed a long-term contract. 

If you listen to his interview he talks about "obligations" having to be fulfilled before both parties can agree to a long term deal. I'm sure he means avoiding relegation. Use of the word "obligations" was telling as it's exactly the kind of term you would expect to see in a contract. 

Once we are mathematically safe, maybe even just before, I would expect an announcement of a long-term deal. 

Exciting times ahead. 

Agreed, surely you’d think once safety is guaranteed that planning for next season would commence

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

The first half was very much the DH Bristol City . It’ll take more than two training sessions to get us back on track. You could see how well he implemented change second half. While I agree we shouldn’t rush a decision , it needs to be done well before the season ends .

To be fair to DH and even LJ before him we got a lot of those performances of shit first half, lot better second half

7 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Agreed, surely your think once safety is guaranteed that planning for next season would commence

Its reasonable to assume that another 6 points would see negotiations for a long term contract would start as his obligations will have been met (assumedly staving off relegation). 

But the performances thus far have been almost a mirror of previous performances before the down turn in results - 45 good minutes and 45 not so good or just poor. A few more games to see if he can get consistency into the players should force SLs hand one way or the other.

NP has made it obvious to all he is impressed with the set up and behind the scenes everything is in place, just has to make it happen on the pitch which is the hardest thing to achieve.  He lives local. Likes Bristol, said in his interviews he is impressed and hopes he is here long term...I would not be concerned about it not being rubber stamped with a longer contract in the next month or so. 
the noises he has made seems he has no issue with the set up here..and planning for next season starts sooner not later.

He will be here 

7 hours ago, fatchers said:

I think the big test would be when we get to a point at the end of the season.  If NP says to Ashton that we need to strengthen with , say, 5 or 6 players capable of turning us into genuine promotion contenders  and Ashton says No, then Nigel could walk. That's my worry. We have the manager but do we really have the will to help him succeed?

My thoughts also, at that point we will end up with another novice manager 

1 minute ago, LoyalRed said:

My thoughts also, at that point we will end up with another novice manager 

I don`t think this will happen. Now Steve has stepped up to the plate again there is no doubt IMO who is in charge now. I`m not one who thinks MA is the devil incarnate but he will have his instructions from our owner and won`t go against them.

I honestly believe SL sees next season as the opportunity to go for it with a lot of clubs struggling financially post-covid and he of all people should know when to take a risk for the best chance of a return.

I hope so anyway - let`s just enjoy the ride!

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I don`t think this will happen. Now Steve has stepped up to the plate again there is no doubt IMO who is in charge now. I`m not one who thinks MA is the devil incarnate but he will have his instructions from our owner and won`t go against them.

I honestly believe SL sees next season as the opportunity to go for it with a lot of clubs struggling financially post-covid and he of all people should know when to take a risk for the best chance of a return.

I hope so anyway - let`s just enjoy the ride!

One thing is for sure, Ashton has been undermined by the big boss and that is purely because he can’t trust his decisions and required some urgency, I just hope we can afford NP for a full season and the demands he will expect 

12 minutes ago, markcarter said:

Does a 4 hour round trip count as local? If so, Leicester would count as local.

Bristol is more local to him than any Midlands club or London club..Not sure where in Devon he’s located but still not to bad to get home compared to other options. I guess we are in the West at least !

11 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Bristol is more local to him than any Midlands club or London club..Not sure where in Devon he’s located but still not to bad to get home compared to other options. I guess we are in the West at least !

In one of the many interviews of his I caught up on he said he liked the travelling to work for that time to think or take calls. On trains he likes to do a crossword. Hot content!

15 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

His home is in Sheffield, holiday home in Ivybridge as I understand it.

35 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

His home is in Sheffield, holiday home in Ivybridge as I understand it.

53 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Ivybridge is just over an hour on a good day (not a Saturday in the summer holidays though!). Say 1hr 15 to Failand on a weekday.

Archived