IGNORED

Pearson's post-match interview (Sorry if I missed a thread on this!)

LondonBristolian

Such a great interview. I really like the way he's careful to praise everyone, acknowledge how tricky it is when a new manager comes in and the way that he's framing everything - from Holden's work to Palmer's mistake to Towler's booking - in a way where he can give people positives about it. He's really showing a sensitivity and awareness of the psychological side and the need to make people feel good about themselves and you can really tell he is a class act. 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/pearson-praises-fightback/

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Such a great interview. I really like the way he's careful to praise everyone, acknowledge how tricky it is when a new manager comes in and the way that he's framing everything - from Holden's work to Palmer's mistake to Towler's booking - in a way where he can give people positives about it. He's really showing a sensitivity and awareness of the psychological side and the need to make people feel good about themselves and you can really tell he is a class act. 

He’s an experienced manager. Been there and done it. Big Nige is the guy Ashton and invisible Jon should have appointed first time around.

Thank goodness SL got involved this time around.

I would echo this. We have stepped up to a different level with Nigel Pearson on board.

Just think how it's going to be when he gets to know all the players!

A breath of considered fresh air. Any journalist interviewing him better think about the quality of questions as he'll take 5 minutes to answer each one!

A brilliant appointment. We would never in a month of Sunday's believed we would've got six points from those two away matches such as his influence on the group already.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He’s an experienced manager. Been there and done it. Big Nige is the guy Ashton and invisible Jon should have appointed first time around.

Invisible Jon, made me chuckle??

29 minutes ago, Swede said:

I would echo this. We have stepped up to a different level with Nigel Pearson on board.

A breath of considered fresh air. Any journalist interviewing him better think about the quality of questions as he'll take 5 minutes to answer each one!

A brilliant appointment. We would never in a month of Sunday's believed we would've got six points from those two away matches such as his influence on the group already.

I believe Bournemouth are there for the taking as well.

31 minutes ago, Swede said:

Just think what it will be like when he clears deadwood in the summer and SL lets him bring in a few of his own players!!! 

47 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I posted this in the match thread:

Pearson’s post match interview is 6 minutes 28 seconds during which he gets asked only FOUR questions!

The interviewer seemed to hang on his every word as we all do!

Big Nige knows how to hold an audience and what to say. Seriously impressive. 

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

A touch of class praising Holden. He didn't have to go there but struck just the right tone.

Given his level of experience and expertise,  and number of injuries he had to contend with, DH did a decent job. It was just way too soon and too big for him.

A touch of class for sure, and maybe pragmatic too. If you're replacing a popular guy, it's smart to avoid being seen as the unwanted replacement. He needs this group to be open-minded to him so that he can then get into their heads.

38 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Just think what it will be like when he clears deadwood in the summer and SL lets him bring in a few of his own players!!! 

It will be interesting(if he is still here) what sort of backing he gets to bring players in and what interference comes from Ashton

38 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

A touch of class praising Holden. He didn't have to go there but struck just the right tone.

Given his level of experience and expertise,  and number of injuries he had to contend with, DH did a decent job. It was just way too soon and too big for him.

Agree with this - just needs to drop a level or two and learn his trade at a smaller club.

I must admit, I had bought into the stereotype about Pearson. Primarily a shouter and screamer. He obviously had that in him, but he’s so much more than that.

I thought it was a great interview - as others have mentioned above, he calmly and rationally explained everything including the Towler sub. I too liked the praise of Holden.

If we can get him to stay, and if we back him properly (also allowing him his own staff) I have no doubt he can make us promotion challengers within a season or two. The onus is on the club to do both of those things. 

Even allowing for how good the official interview was, I encourage you to listen to 57:45 here on Radio Bristol and his answer to a question with a seemingly innocuous and clichéd suggestion that players have now set their standards for him: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0970qh4 

"No no [cutting across interviewer] they haven't set them for me, they've set them for themselves, it's not about setting things for me, it's about - fulfilling what they go out on the field to do, so it's not doing it for me, it's doing it for themselves, it's doing it for each other, and that's something I want to be a part of myself and help develop.

You only realise how much we have missed experience in the key role at the club when you hear NP gliding effortlessly away from the usual soundbite setups, refusing to provide the lazy narratives and demonstrating why when you're so comfortable as a leader it is much easier to be magnanimous and humble, without losing any respect - a balance between leader and team which unavoidably our last two coaches struggled with. 

Do listen to the audio as his answer directly after this - about listening, about working with the people he has, and about developing an identity - is just as good too.

6 minutes ago, Olé said:

Even allowing for how good the official interview was, I encourage you to listen to 57:45 here on Radio Bristol and his answer to a question with a seemingly innocuous and clichéd suggestion that players have now set their standards for him: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0970qh4 

"No no [cutting across interviewer] they haven't set them for me, they've set them for themselves, it's not about setting things for me, it's about - fulfilling what they go out on the field to do, so it's not doing it for me, it's doing it for themselves, it's doing it for each other, and that's something I want to be a part of myself and help develop.

You only realise how much we have missed experience in the key role at the club when you hear NP gliding effortlessly away from the usual soundbite setups, refusing to provide the lazy narratives and demonstrating why when you're so comfortable as a leader it is much easier to be magnanimous and humble, without losing any respect - a balance between leader and team which unavoidably our last two coaches struggled with. 

Do listen to the audio as his answer directly after this - about listening, about working with the people he has, and about developing an identity - is just as good too.

Yeah I enjoyed that interview too.

I noticed he was very quick to avoid praising himself, very little discussion about what he saw, what he did, and what he changed, and instead talking up the players for their ability to carry it out.

He clearly sees, or at least portrays himself as a part of the team rather than in charge and therefor one who should be getting the plaudits when it goes well.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I appreciate managers more if they have manners and class. 
Sod praised Mcinnes. 
Cotterill didn’t praise Sod. 
LJ praised Cotterill. 
Holden didn’t praise LJ. 
Pearson praised Holden. 

Tells you a lot about their characters. 

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

He clearly sees, or at least portrays himself as a part of the team rather than in charge and therefor one who should be getting the plaudits when it goes well.

EXACTLY that, and it's that balance which is much easier to strike when you're experienced and self confident in your leadership. As a young leader LJ struggled with it because he was clearly insecure about appearing to be part of the collective (blaming players, praising his own work), whereas at the other extreme DH wanted to remain part of the collective (friend first), neither of which commanded the right sort of respect.

Pearson approach here is textbook "proven leader". 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Pearson wasn’t available “first time around”, he said so himself.

Holden was a mistake, most said it at the time but Pearson wasn’t well enough to take the job then, even if we had offered him it.

Agree about the interview & his classy touch re Holden. I’m liking the lengthy, thoughtful answers even to the most banal questions, too.

54 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I must admit, I had bought into the stereotype about Pearson. Primarily a shouter and screamer. He obviously had that in him, but he’s so much more than that.

I thought it was a great interview - as others have mentioned above, he calmly and rationally explained everything including the Towler sub. I too liked the praise of Holden.

If we can get him to stay, and if we back him properly (also allowing him his own staff) I have no doubt he can make us promotion challengers within a season or two. The onus is on the club to do both of those things. 

I think the problem is that too many OTIBers see the way he conducts interviews with the media as being how he treats his players.

I’m sure he is capable of giving a bollocking, but from someone I thought was a bit too “media trained” years ago, I’ve seen enough interviews of his to realise he’s very calm, assured and thoughtful of what he says.  If a media person asks a stupid question, he will call them out but I bet he’s a manager that inside the dressing room, loves his boys (a bit like Cotts but of higher calibre).

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Pearson wasn’t available “first time around”, he said so himself.

Holden was a mistake, most said it at the time but Pearson wasn’t well enough to take the job then, even if we had offered him it.

Agree about the interview & his classy touch re Holden. I’m liking the lengthy, thoughtful answers even to the most banal questions, too.

I wasn’t aware he said that. Obviously I missed it.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I dunno, I did see NP yesterday waving his arms and jumping around the touchline?

He looks to have the right balance though. Just has that class about him.

It was his honesty that struck me. He acknowledged we could have and maybe should have been 2 or 3 down at half time. He did this whilst still praising their commitment, throwing their bodies in front of the ball.

He could have said he gave them sh1t at half time and took credit for the second half. It appears he has the players backs in front of the media and behind closed doors, well that between him and the squad, the way it should be.

2 hours ago, Gordon Saunderson said:

It will be interesting(if he is still here) what sort of backing he gets to bring players in and what interference comes from Ashton

Lansdown said pre-Pearson its an attractive job as theres the opportunity to clear squad and be backed in the summer. 
Hopefully if Pearson continues we are looking at losing 10 or 12 and reducing squad size but adding 6 quality additions. 

Archived