IGNORED

Injured players this season

WarksRobin

Me and my pops were trying to untangle our current injured list today. We make it 16(!):

Mawson, Baker, Dasilva, Rowe, Pring, Nurse, Williams, Walsh, Paterson, Lansbury, Weimann, COD, Ow Edwards, Opi Edwards, Adelakun, Martin.

I get so frustrated hearing about some of the prem teams ‘injury crises’. Bore right off!

29 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I get so frustrated hearing about some of the prem teams ‘injury crises’. Bore right off!

Same, but at least it should give some supporters a better perspective about how umcomfortable our situation has been for Holden and the players. Against bad luck you can't do anything, but in the summer we must absolutely asssess every medical/training process and all the injured players...because avoiding a repeat of the injury crisis should be our first aim for the next season(s).

This is one of those damn lies and statistics moments.

Nobody can deny our injuries have been bad (and I’ll shy away from the cause here), but to say it’s a missed game if a player is injured is disingenuous at best.

Example: Let’s say we play 4-4-2. At centre half, assuming fit, Baker, Kalas, Moore, Vyner, Mariappa, Mawson available. If you assume Baker would be in the 19 if not injured, you count 1. However, if all else fit you have 5 CH for the start and the bench - of which Taylor Moore probably last pick. So, if TM injured, do you class it as a missed game? Nope IMO, as he wouldn’t have been picked, so it’s subjective.

Or, in short, it’s a scouser moaning and probably classing Nat Williams when having a thigh strain in the numbers even when VVD and Gomez fit.

One thing about ours however @Silvio Dante is that our whole left side has been ****** for good periods.

No natural LCB, let alone LB and higher up the pitch no Paterson or O'Dowda for the left. This unbalances and unsettles a side on two levels.

Firstly the lack of natural balance then having to shift right footers onto the left, surefire weakness for the opposition to exploit. Potential field day actually if you target that side correctly.

@WarksRobin

Typical of the media coverage. PL and top 6 centric. I remember reading a couple of times in the Times about Liverpool's injury woes. Indeed it only really focused on a table of 'The big 6'.

Surprised that Leicester on 102 are 2nd because Leeds eg have had Berardi and Forshaw not kick a ball through injury all season. That's nearly half of Leicester's reported matchdays missed with those two alone!

Any idea if it's talking about PL specific matchdays or matchdays verbatim? If it's the latter that's even less to complain about.

My stats are/have been solely for the League.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One thing about ours however @Silvio Dante is that our whole left side has been ****** for good periods.

No natural LCB, let alone LB and higher up the pitch no Paterson or O'Dowda for the left. This unbalances and unsettles a side on two levels.

Firstly the lack of natural balance then having to shift right footers onto the left, surefire weakness for the opposition to exploit. Potential field day actually if you target that side correctly.

I agree. But again, it would be misleading to state if all of Dasilva, Pring, Rowe and Nurse were injured that we had four games missed. We would have had one or two at most as all four wouldn’t have been in the squad. Again, data can be easily manipulated and allows for some fairly disingenuous statements in football and in life!

52 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I agree. But again, it would be misleading to state if all of Dasilva, Pring, Rowe and Nurse were injured that we had four games missed. We would have had one or two at most as all four wouldn’t have been in the squad. Again, data can be easily manipulated and allows for some fairly disingenuous statements in football and in life!

Depends how you look at it tbh. First choice, first reserve then natural young player cover options then possibility to play emergency players who nonetheless have experience of the role ie O'Dowda or in absolute extremis Brunt, at least you have a natural left footer who has played there a few times.

None of Hunt, Vyner, Mariappa fit that! Neither did Towler, he started out as a CM apparently and Sessegnon I thought was right footed but if he's comfortable both sides that's great.

Then if Baker and Mawson are injured, you only have right footed CBs to shoehorn into that role whoever it is.

Another area the opposition can hope to exploit. They'd be daft not to!

Another important factor is the importance of rotation in this season in particular. It's a race this season, or a lot of it has been.

Rotate earlier and you maybe less hit by injuries later on. If you have double figures injury wise for persistent periods, you just can't.

Mawson and Williams returning as they did perhaps helped to exacerbate matters, example one.

Martin we played into the ground early season and beyond. Sure that played a role in his current injury.

Matchdays missed helps to compare like with like when comparing injuries and how down to the bare bones etc.

On a wider note, I agree data certainly can be manipulated for questionable purposes.

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Depends how you look at it tbh. First choice, first reserve then natural young player cover options then possibility to play emergency players who nonetheless have experience of the role ie O'Dowda or in absolute extremis Brunt, at least you have a natural left footer who has played there a few times.

None of Hunt, Vyner, Mariappa fit that! Neither did Towler, he started out as a CM apparently and Sessegnon I thought was right footed but if he's comfortable both sides that's great.

Then if Baker and Mawson are injured, you only have right footed CBs to shoehorn into that role whoever it is.

Another area the opposition can hope to exploit. They'd be daft not to!

Another important factor is the importance of rotation in this season in particular. It's a race this season, or a lot of it has been.

Rotate earlier and you maybe less hit by injuries later on. If you have double figures injury wise for persistent periods, you just can't.

Mawson and Williams returning as they did perhaps helped to exacerbate matters, example one.

Martin we played into the ground early season and beyond. Sure that played a role in his current injury.

Matchdays missed helps to compare like with like when comparing injuries and how down to the bare bones etc.

On a wider note, I agree data certainly can be manipulated for nefarious purposes.

Even Mawson playing on the left is forced. Whilst he may be comfortable on the left, he is right footed. 

2 hours ago, James54De said:

@Mr Popodopolous has us as 312 games being missed. 

Need to be careful because you can obviously only play 11 at any one time.

This stat is so hard to use fairly - for example, if 2 reserve keepers were injured all season, would we really have lost 92 games of availability?

To some extent it really depends on core starters availability, as this is what affects the results ie VVD for Liverpool - not sure how you could ever measure this fairly.

With premier league clubs, and especially the likes of Liverpool. they have a second 11 of  internationals , whereas we have been down to U23s and a bench stacked full of lads that haven’t started shaving yet.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@WarksRobin

Typical of the media coverage. PL and top 6 centric. I remember reading a couple of times in the Times about Liverpool's injury woes. Indeed it only really focused on a table of 'The big 6'.

Surprised that Leicester on 102 are 2nd because Leeds eg have had Berardi and Forshaw not kick a ball through injury all season. That's nearly half of Leicester's reported matchdays missed with those two alone!

Any idea if it's talking about PL specific matchdays or matchdays verbatim? If it's the latter that's even less to complain about.

My stats are/have been solely for the League.

Absolutely. The tweet says “in the same league” which of course we are, along with 91 others. Some Prem fans seem to ignore the football league as if it doesn’t matter.

I believe the original calculation was on EPL matches only, ie not including Europe or cups

1 minute ago, WarksRobin said:

Absolutely. The tweet says “in the same league” which of course we are, along with 91 others. Some Prem fans seem to ignore the football league as if it doesn’t matter.

I believe the original calculation was on EPL matches only, ie not including Europe or cups

Agreed. Can even be worse than just the PL, like I mentioned that Times articles that just seemed to reference the big 6. I'd be surprised if e.g. midtable and newly promoted Leeds haven't had more than 102 matchdays missed given that two players have so far each missed the entire season due to injury.

That at least is like with like, still our injury woes put many above into some perspective. Yet who in the national media mentions it?

2 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Just seen that cod, baker and weimann are back running.

cod and baker were photographed the other day, but weimann has taken me by surprise, thought he would be out for much longer?

He is a natural athlete (in his genes, father was a footballer, mum a middle distance runner, I think) Tinnion said he had never even missed a single training session prior to getting injured this season.

They don’t need to rush him back, but I’m certain Pearson is a fan & it would be great to see him play again this season.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He is a natural athlete (in his genes, father was a footballer, mum a middle distance runner, I think) Tinnion said he had never even missed a single training session prior to getting injured this season.

They don’t need to rush him back, but I’m certain Pearson is a fan & it would be great to see him play again this season.

Father was an athlete too.

Clearly dawning on a lot of our players that they need to show a bit of mental fortitude on their road to recovery. Seems like people around some players are like a weak willed Social worker (I come into contact with a few in my job).  Suddenly there is an incentive to get fit and available.  

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yeah, it’s positive news after such a long period with all three being unavailable.

With Big Nige now in charge all three will want the opportunity to impress I really hope they don’t try to rush recovery and then get re - injured again.

If all three can maintain steady progress hopefully they’ll all be available for selection in 3 or 4 weeks, maybe less.

Things are definitely looking up.

Archived