IGNORED

Goals direct from a corner AND a charge down on the keeper

Antman

One of our managers always used to preach the value of never giving up on anything. Mistakes like yesterday can happen, and even if it's outfield players they'll make mistakes like that from time to time from which there's a potential benefit. And even if they don't make a mistake, they may have to make a quicker judgement than they'd like about where and how they pass the ball. Cant recall who it was - I think it was from the McInnes, SOD, sort of era, so forgettable otherwise!

8 minutes ago, Antman said:

when was the last time we saw either of those things?

I usually despair when you see a player rushing towards the keeper as it always seems so pointless, now however...

Once or twice perhaps in local league football but never both together in pro football. I'd bet it's a pretty rare occurrence.

13 minutes ago, Antman said:

I usually despair when you see a player rushing towards the keeper as it always seems so pointless, now however...

When we signed Kodjia, I saw him at Yeovil in a friendly and said to my dad “I bet he scores a couple from blocking keeper kicks this season”.  He didn’t but he certainly caused some panicked clearances.

25 minutes ago, Antman said:

Was using myself the same question yesterday...never in the same match as I recall. I can barely recall a goal direct from a corner. 

Did Gerry Gow get one back in the day?

It was a bit of a freak game really and it doesn’t give us an indication of a grand turnaround.

What it does do though is give Pearson’s operation galvanise a real leg up because a/ winning breeds confidence, b/ it gave him a chance to champion the team (see huddle) and c/ lessons about what worked and what didn’t work, individually and as a group.

It’s yet another game in which we only turned up for one of the halves but as with a few of our wins this season, we got away it.

Two away 3-1 wins will do wonders for the belief in the ‘group’ though and NP can build on it and do his thang.

I said in the match thread when Kasey scored that it was intentional. He says it wasn’t, but the way we set up always made it a possibility.

If you look directly before the corner - and unlike prior corners - five of ours went to the goal line and dragged five of theirs in. That’s an unusual setup, and I said to my wife (who was sat there but didn’t really care...!) that it was odd, it was going to be an inswinger but there was a chance of a soft free kick.

You look at as the ball comes in and the key is Nakhi Wells. He brushes - not shoves - the keeper. He’s close enough to touch, but not heavy enough for that touch to be a foul. It’s superb tactical play.

And as soon as the keeper is put off, both by the bodies and the Wells touch, it’s every chance of a goal.

Totally constructed on the training ground and executed perfectly (KP said Paul Simpson worked on it with them). You don’t see many goals direct from corners so it’s easy to say when one happens it’s a fluke - but that in no way was

One of John Atyeo's two goals, nearing the end of his last match before he retired, was headed in from a corner.

Well that is the official version but many at the Open/Park End genuinely believed that it went straight in from a corner!

But who would dare argue with the great man that it did not brush his forehead on the way in.

44 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I said in the match thread when Kasey scored that it was intentional. He says it wasn’t, but the way we set up always made it a possibility.

If you look directly before the corner - and unlike prior corners - five of ours went to the goal line and dragged five of theirs in. That’s an unusual setup, and I said to my wife (who was sat there but didn’t really care...!) that it was odd, it was going to be an inswinger but there was a chance of a soft free kick.

You look at as the ball comes in and the key is Nakhi Wells. He brushes - not shoves - the keeper. He’s close enough to touch, but not heavy enough for that touch to be a foul. It’s superb tactical play.

And as soon as the keeper is put off, both by the bodies and the Wells touch, it’s every chance of a goal.

Totally constructed on the training ground and executed perfectly (KP said Paul Simpson worked on it with them). You don’t see many goals direct from corners so it’s easy to say when one happens it’s a fluke - but that in no way was

Got to say, I’ve always felt Woodman to be a tad on the small side and slight too.  I suspect it was a case of KP whipping it into that area and seeing what happened.  As you say the clever thing is not allowing a ref like Stroud the opportunity to give them a free-kick.

1 hour ago, Antman said:

Should always charge down a keeper. Shows good work rate and even applying a little bit of pressure could result in a misplaced kick and regaining possession.

What happened yesterday was a massive bonus!

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

One of John Atyeo's two goals, nearing the end of his last match before he retired, was headed in from a corner.

Well that is the official version but many at the Open/Park End genuinely believed that it went straight in from a corner!

But who would dare argue with the great man that it did not brush his forehead on the way in.

Was just about to post about that.

I think it was versus Ipswich. Big John neeed 2 goals to reach 350.

He'd already got one and everyone was willing him to get the second.

Danny Bartley sent over an inswinging corner which seemed to go straight in, but it was commonly accepted that it slid in off of Big John's hair cream!!!

We won 4-2 (if the brain is still working correctly) and John got his 350!

:worship2:

1 hour ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

Remember Jamie Mac scoring direct from a corner v Sheff Utd.  But more memorable that day was meeting Charlotte Jackson (now Coleman)

My first live game at AG.

BBC match report here http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/9220811.stm

"It took the hosts a while to press home their numerical advantage, but just after the hour Blades keeper Steve Simonsen badly misjudged McAllister's corner, allowing the ball to go over him and into the net."

32 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Should always charge down a keeper. Shows good work rate and even applying a little bit of pressure could result in a misplaced kick and regaining possession.

What happened yesterday was a massive bonus!

It was interesting to see NP`s reaction to it - very much `game over, job done`

4 hours ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

Remember Jamie Mac scoring direct from a corner v Sheff Utd.  But more memorable that day was meeting Charlotte Jackson (now Coleman)

Well, I don't know what went down when you met her, but you'd have to go a long way to beat seeing a goal direct from a corner in my book. Now if it was Michelle Owen you met ...

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

My first live game at AG.

BBC match report here http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/9220811.stm

"It took the hosts a while to press home their numerical advantage, but just after the hour Blades keeper Steve Simonsen badly misjudged McAllister's corner, allowing the ball to go over him and into the net."

13k in attendance.

Having been a keeper to a reasonable standard and then a centre forward, the lack of applying pressure on a keeper in the pro game always amazes me.

I’d always chase the ball down with keepers. Always take the gamble they’ll drop or spill a ball. The keeper is under significant pressure to save/clear full stop. Forwards need to add to those pressures by getting in keepers eye lines, closing down options - it really does unsettle them. The error count increases. The number of goals I scored from those distraction/pressure tactics was significant. 

Interesting that Harry Kane was a keeper before reverting to a forward. He knows how a keepers brain works and uses that to his advantage. Always interesting to watch how he plays the keepers.

Wonder if our goalkeeping coaches ever coach the forwards? Think it really would be a useful exercise. 

Back in the day, Dermot Curtis scored direct from corner and ended with a hat trick.  We were all a little disappointed though as England selectors were there to watch Atyeo, and for once he was eclipsed by Curtis.  

Saw Big John score from shoulder barging goalkeeper into the net.  The days when men were men!

4 hours ago, Redtucks said:

Was just about to post about that.

I think it was versus Ipswich. Big John neeed 2 goals to reach 350.

He'd already got one and everyone was willing him to get the second.

Danny Bartley sent over an inswinging corner which seemed to go straight in, but it was commonly accepted that it slid in off of Big John's hair cream!!!

We won 4-2 (if the brain is still working correctly) and John got his 350!

:worship2:

Thanks for the post. Yes it was Danny Bartley taking the corner from "Crackers Corner". A Brylcream goal.

I saw his first goal against Newport I August 1951 and his last in that match against Ipswich. The final score was 4-1, John got 2 with Terry Bush and Gordon Parr adding the others.

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Back in the day, Dermot Curtis scored direct from corner and ended with a hat trick.  We were all a little disappointed though as England selectors were there to watch Atyeo, and for once he was eclipsed by Curtis.  

Saw Big John score from shoulder barging goalkeeper into the net.  The days when men were men!

The shoulder charge goal was against Rovers at Eastville. The keeper was Ron Nicholls who also played cricket for Glos. Later joined City when Fred Ford was manager.

Archived