IGNORED

Mariappa

GrahamC

Not seen anyone mention this but thought he was absolutely outstanding on Saturday.

The idea (first used at Boro) to play him in the middle of the back 3 looks inspired.

Firstly because he is an organiser, if you look at how we set up to defend any sort of set piece he is invariably the one who is telling players where to go.

Secondly he reads the game well, a number of his last ditch challenges or goal line clearances show this.

Finally it means that Kalas is available to support Towler when we use this formation.

As one of very few players with previous experience of working under Pearson it will be interesting to see if he remains a regular for the rest of the season & then how NP sees him beyond that.

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not seen anyone mention this but thought he was absolutely outstanding on Saturday.

The idea (first used at Boro) to play him in the middle of the back 3 looks inspired.

Firstly because he is an organiser, if you look at how we set up to defend any sort of set piece he is invariably the one who is telling players where to go.

Secondly he reads the game well, a number of his last ditch challenges or goal line clearances show this.

Finally it means that Kalas is available to support Towler when we use this formation.

As one of very few players with previous experience of working under Pearson it will be interesting to see if he remains a regular for the rest of the season & then how NP sees him beyond that.

Agree with everything above, especially your point about him playing centrally & moving Kalas left to help out Towler. We kept placing another young lad there (Moore) before, which never made no sense to me. I’ve seen an old video the other day of Mariappa & Pearson, basically during which they said hello, just from the body language you could see they get on. If Pearson stays, wouldn’t be surprised to see Mariappa sign for another year. Seems to be a leader & organiser & would know more than most what Pearson wants. COYR 

27 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I think he's been good for us since we brought him in. Can't blame him for struggling out of position at LB. I wouldn't mind seeing him kept on as CB cover next year, assuming his wages aren't silly. 

I think he justifies his place when played in his correct position. Doesn't need to be signed 'as cover'.

52 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Inspired? More like common sense to play him in his best position, especially when he's 34 going on 35 and his legs are clearly going. Holden's decision to play him LB was lunacy, IMO. 

I agree though that we're seeing him at his best in the centre, but that's no real surprise. 

6 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I think he justifies his place when played in his correct position. Doesn't need to be signed 'as cover'.

Honestly,,with the likelihood of NP signing a contract to stay on then we will not be dealing in 34 year olds....

We shall be cutting back the deadwood & 'upgrading throughout the squad...

8 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Honestly,,with the likelihood of NP signing a contract to stay on then we will not be dealing in 34 year olds....

That's all a bit lazy. The age isn't the key thing. It's the player's contribution. Mariappa and Rowe have actually contributed something positive whereas others have not.

We need 2 or 3 old heads in the squad not necessarily as 1st choices but certainly as settling influences which we are seeing now.

1 hour ago, Simon79 said:

Agree with everything above, especially your point about him playing centrally & moving Kalas left to help out Towler. We kept placing another young lad there (Moore) before, which never made no sense to me. 

Towler is very much a young player.

Taylor Moore is not, he's fully 5 years older than Towler and made his City debut in 2016.

21 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Towler is very much a young player.

Taylor Moore is not, he's fully 5 years older than Towler and made his City debut in 2016.

Depends on your definition of young I suppose. 23 years old & less than 50 appearances  in the Championship is fairly young I would say, especially for a defender. He certainly isn’t experienced. Do you agree with it being a better choice having Kalas just inside Towler though? COYR 

1 hour ago, tin said:

Inspired? More like common sense to play him in his best position, especially when he's 34 going on 35 and his legs are clearly going. Holden's decision to play him LB was lunacy, IMO. 

I agree though that we're seeing him at his best in the centre, but that's no real surprise. 

I think you are missing my point, I wasn’t referring at all to his spell at LB, I meant switching him to the central one of the 3. 

Prior to this we lined up with Kalas central & either Vyner or Mariappa asked to play on the left, this isn’t happening now.

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think you are missing my point, I wasn’t referring at all to his spell at LB, I meant switching him to the central one of the 3. 

Prior to this we lined up with Kalas central & either Vyner or Mariappa asked to play on the left, this isn’t happening now.

I got your point, Graham. All I was saying it that playing 'Maps' in the centre of the three and Kalas on the left of the three (where he plays for his country) wasn't rocket science. It just shows Pearson knows what he's doing, IMO, which is no surprise as Mariappa's one of three players he knew before coming here. 

And I agree with all of your positive observations on Mariappa's form since going more central. 

42 minutes ago, tin said:

I got your point, Graham. All I was saying it that playing 'Maps' in the centre of the three and Kalas on the left of the three (where he plays for his country) wasn't rocket science. It just shows Pearson knows what he's doing, IMO, which is no surprise as Mariappa's one of three players he knew before coming here. 

And I agree with all of your positive observations on Mariappa's form since going more central. 

Cheers, the Mariappa at left back stuff by Holden was ridiculous, even with minimal options it was obvious for instance that Hunt say, was a better option & he actually did ok there in the Reading defeat, which understandably then got completely lost in the aftermath of such a poor team effort.

2 hours ago, ptr6 said:

A better acquisition than Ash Williams ?

If he stays at centre back for the rest of the season then yes. I must admit I thought Mariappa was going to be a repeat of Williams after he seemed to struggle at full back, but has turned it round now. Will turn out to be a very good signing if recent performances become the standard.

8 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Not so sure on that one as NP has said he likes to improve all players at all ages, so I guess it will be a case by case situation. Either way I do believe we are in excellent hands & hope that SL & Co can keep NP after this short period.

Archived