IGNORED

own up: who queued for 26 hours for a Bristol City ticket?

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Living in Southampton I heard on radio Bristol that City had some more tickets and would sale them the next morning. So I decided the only way I would get a ticket for the Hull City match was to drive up to Bristol  a que. So I set off for Bristol at around 20.00 and got to the gate parked up about 22.00. Their were lots of people queuing up around the car park walls. Luckily it was a dry night and keep myself awake by talking to other fans and going for a walk, people keep your place in the que. We were expecting the tickets to go on sale around 09.00. As i got closer to the ticket office I had to turn off my mobile as my office in Southampton were chasing me. At around 11.00 people were walking past us with tickets and I started thinking I bet they are sold out before I got to the window. But at around 12.00 I got my ticket, got back to the car. Made up a story to the office and got back to Southampton around 14.00. So the whole trip for me was around  18 hours.

Bad news I'm afraid.

The boss has just read this and wants to see you first thing tomorrow.

My pet hate is queuing and over the years have avoided all the long ones. 
in the old days, like the Walsall replay, I would phone up Beryl and she’d  put one by for me as I lived in Somerset.

For Liverpool home I waited until the queues had gone, pleaded with the ticket office who gave me a grandstand seat with restricted view, which was actually fine.

For the Hull final I was living in France, phoned Wembley the day after the Palace match and had a ticket in club Wembley by mid morning, a day or so before City had even started selling them I think. 

As for the final itself, I reckon I had left home, drove over the border into Spain, flew to Stansted, watched the game, flew back and drove back home into France in less time it took Jason from Horfield to queue for his ticket.

4 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

I remember when it was announced that fans had to attend the Wolves fixture to obtain a voucher to be able to purchase a ticket for the first Liverpool home fixture in the FA Cup in 93/94. 

The queues around the ground were carnage that day. 

Then there was the infamous Derby against the Sags in the mid 90's where they seemed to have sold every seat in the ground twice so a good number of season ticket holders got locked out. 

For a one off game, the queue for the Stoke game at Wembley in 2000 was pretty big. I recall joining it in front of the Williams entrance and it running around the back of the East End and then the Dolman to the Dolman ticket booths. 

Not only that, but the Wolves game was being marketed as a Quid A Kid fixture so it was even busier. Remember getting to the ground about 1pm and it was already queuing all around.

9 hours ago, italian dave said:

Walsall play offs. Straight back from Walsall into the queue for the replay tickets.

waste of time that was too. 

I remember that well, tickets for the play off replay were meant to go on sale at 9 am,the morning after the 2nd leg at Walsall. I got to AG at 8am, and they had already sold out. To say I was fudging fuming is an understatement! 

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

I remember that well, tickets for the play off replay were meant to go on sale at 9 am,the morning after the 2nd leg at Walsall. I got to AG at 8am, and they had already sold out. To say I was fudging fuming is an understatement! 

IIRC there were already more in the queue than there were tickets by about 6am, so they just got on with it.

You probably weren’t fuming quite so much 20 minutes into the game though? 

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

No real problem for the Hull tickets but in 1978 I did queue for 16 hours (at Hammersmith Odeon) to get tickets for Bob Dylan at Earls Court (his first UK gig since the 1971 Isle of Wight Festival). 

I spent the night on the pavement outside the Colston Hall to get tickets to see Bowie (Ziggy Stardust) there. 

12 hours ago, italian dave said:

I spent the night on the pavement outside the Colston Hall to get tickets to see Bowie (Ziggy Stardust) there. 

Me and my mate Ken slept  outside Virgin to get Zeppelin tickets, best gig I ever saw... 

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Ive consulted a expert, on the biggest que at the gate.

My mum.

She said the que for the rolling stones gig, went right around to the flats.

Is this right?

More than one queue as I remember.

I joined one on Winterstoke Road outside the old car showroom and it got a a lot longer after me before it started moving.

Drew the short straw there - wasn't even a Stones fan, but persuaded to go to it by friends and it ended up me queuing for the 4 tickets!

The Oxford game in '74, when they were giving out vouchers for the Liverpool FA Cup tie a week later, was the biggest queue I've been in at AG - many queuing left again after paying to get in to get their voucher.

More recently, the queue for the Brighton play off final was the biggest City queue I've been in - had to be up early for that one and was interviewed live by Radio Bristol for their 7am news.

Spent hours talking to the bloke in front of me that day, and we still smile and nod in recognition if our paths cross at the Gate.

Archived