IGNORED

UK World Cup Bid

Bristol Rob

Possibly, but if you look at the overall benefits of the 2012 Olympics, I would say these things are worth it.

There is an intrinsic value to hosting these events. The 2012 Olympics were unbelievable, the scenes in Hanham when the torch came through will live with me forever. 

When I look back on my life the 2012 Olympics were and are, a source of pride and excitement, a high point that I will look back on and treasure forever.

Sometimes you have to do something that just makes you happy.

If you don’t, if you just count beans and attribute value that way, it’s a very unfulfilled existence.

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Possibly, but if you look at the overall benefits of the 2012 Olympics, I would say these things are worth it.

There is an intrinsic value to hosting these events. The 2012 Olympics were unbelievable, the scenes in Hanham when the torch came through will live with me forever. 

When I look back on my life the 2012 Olympics were and are, a source of pride and excitement, a high point that I will look back on and treasure forever.

If you don’t, if you just count beans and attribute value that way, it’s a very unfulfilled existence.

**** me this is deep for this time of the morning!

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

First lockdown, I was watching the videos of it all on YouTube, the torch relay really was fabulous. It really had such a feel good factor. I loved the olympics, it was a great summer.

It could be a waste of money, it depends where the cash comes from IMO. If it comes from the government then guaranteed it will cost more and deliver less, if it comes from private enterprise then who cares - some of it will work out and some of it won't and we get some bankruptcies and the world carries on. 

Just now, Fordy62 said:

**** me this is deep for this time of the morning!

Mate, I loved 2012. I still sometimes watch the opening ceremony.

It’s widely considered the best Olympics of all time.

We get so many things right as a country, we always do, but we’re so afraid to be proud of it.

6 minutes ago, 054123 said:

We get so many things right as a country, we always do, but we’re so afraid to be proud of it.

The Olympics were amazing and most people were rightly extremely proud. Not ashamed to say I had a bit of grit in my eye once or twice during the opening ceremony!  We host sports events very very well there is no doubt. What else are you referring to though just out of interest (Vaccines aside)? 

26 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Have I read something about a late bid for the Euros, or did I dream it?

There are very strong rumours that UEFA are going to hold the whole of Euro 2021 in the UK.  Decision made next month.

26 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Have I read something about a late bid for the Euros, or did I dream it?

We haven’t technically bid but we’ve made overtures that we’d be happy to host the whole thing. 

Inherently, there’s no point in UEFA sticking to the original plan of playing across multiple countries as there’ll be no fans etc. So, it makes logical sense (as with last years Europa/Champs league) to hold it all in one place. The other logic is to hold it in the place in Europe that will be furthest down the line in vaccinations - which is us.

My prediction is we will have the Euros this summer. And furthermore, AG will host some games. With fans.

11 minutes ago, lenred said:

The Olympics were amazing and most people were rightly extremely proud. Not ashamed to say I had a bit of grit in my eye once or twice during the opening ceremony!  We host sports events very very well there is no doubt. What else are you referring to though just out of interest (Vaccines aside)? 

Don’t really want to derail the thread. But I think as a country we are progressive in our law making and in or society. We are still a leading country in technology and commerce and in certain areas of industry. We love to hammer ourselves and whilst there is nothing wrong with being challenging, as it that forges progress, this is still one the most free and fair countries you could possibly live in.

Just now, 054123 said:

Don’t really want to derail the thread. But I think as a country we are progressive in our law making and in or society. We are still a leading country in technology and commerce and in certain areas of industry. We love to hammer ourselves and whilst there is nothing wrong with being challenging, as it that forges progress, this is still one the most free and fair countries you could possibly live in.

Agree with a lot of what you say but you’re right let’s not derail this. Cheers 

If the World Cup 2030 is a five nation bid, we can forget any hope of games in Bristol, Cardiff will (as usual) get chosen instead. Typical “give something to the Welsh” token bollocks.

Not sure how Northern Ireland will feature either, as Windsor Park is far smaller than Ashton Gate.

38 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Have you seen any of the documentaries or coverage of the Paralympics? I cant remember what I watched, might have been on netflix, but it was saying how much the athletes enjoyed it in London because of how many fans were there and how supprotive they were. They'd never seen anything like it for the paralympics. Pretty sure they broke ticket sales records that year. 

2012 was something to truly be proud of, both Olympics and Paralympics, like you I've watched that opening ceremony a few times.

21 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I took the OP to mean that we were wasting our money in bidding owing to the corruption within FIFA.

I didn't give a monkey's about the 2012 Olympics or watch any of it but was probably in a minority in that.

Bit of a shame that, one of the best ever games for competition, organisation and attendance

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If the World Cup 2030 is a five nation bid, we can forget any hope of games in Bristol, Cardiff will (as usual) get chosen instead. Typical “give something to the Welsh” token bollocks.

Not sure how Northern Ireland will feature either, as Windsor Park is far smaller than Ashton Gate.

Without wishing to derail the thread again, five nations could be about right by 2030!!

24 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I took the OP to mean that we were wasting our money in bidding owing to the corruption within FIFA.

I didn't give a monkey's about the 2012 Olympics or watch any of it but was probably in a minority in that.

You are correct. Why spunk money away on a process that is all about brown envelopes.

As for 2012, I was massively cynical about the entire Olympics thing, the moment we won the bid I was pretty much resigned to the fact it would cost double when they said it would and the legacies would be close to zero.

Then the games started and I was drawn in to it like no previous Olympics, and probably enjoyed the Paras as much, if not more.

I'd love it if we did have a UK world cup, but I just feel as if we should be invited to host it.

34 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

We haven’t technically bid but we’ve made overtures that we’d be happy to host the whole thing. 

Inherently, there’s no point in UEFA sticking to the original plan of playing across multiple countries as there’ll be no fans etc. So, it makes logical sense (as with last years Europa/Champs league) to hold it all in one place. The other logic is to hold it in the place in Europe that will be furthest down the line in vaccinations - which is us.

My prediction is we will have the Euros this summer. And furthermore, AG will host some games. With fans.

We're already hosting 1 x QF, both Semis and the Final so the real business end of thing is going to be here whatever.

54 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Euro 96 for me will never quite be topped in terms of euphoria.. I could easily see the Euro's being held here and with the 'release' from Covid (fingers crossed) it could be on a par if the team does well as well..

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Saw the torch relay bollocks outside the Hole in the Wall in town. I couldn't have been more underwhelmed if I'd bought a VIP ticket to Santa's Grotto at the Mem. Rubbish. 

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Saw the torch relay bollocks outside the Hole in the Wall in town. I couldn't have been more underwhelmed if I'd bought a VIP ticket to Santa's Grotto at the Me. Rubbish. 

The Hole in the Wall.

20 plus years ago, many a Saturday morning at 9.30 started there.

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

Euro 96 for me will never quite be topped in terms of euphoria.. I could easily see the Euro's being held here and with the 'release' from Covid (fingers crossed) it could be on a par if the team does well as well..

Still my favourite England manager ever. Oh to be 15 again. 

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

I agree Huge crowds at Bitton very popular event 

Archived