IGNORED

UK World Cup Bid

Bristol Rob

44 minutes ago, TomF said:

There are very strong rumours that UEFA are going to hold the whole of Euro 2021 in the UK.  Decision made next month.

There's no way in hell UEFA should let fans travel from Baku to Bucharest, London to Moscow etc this summer. It was a crackpot idea from Platini to move it away from a sole host nation in the first place, let alone to promote this in a pandemic. 

1 minute ago, tin said:

There's no way in hell UEFA should let fans travel from Baku to Bucharest, London to Moscow etc this summer. It was a crackpot idea from Platini to move it away from a sole host nation in the first place, let alone to promote this in a pandemic. 

That could be the only thing that hampers us hosting it all, surely there's no way we'll be letting fans travel into the country?

Based on my experience of central/eastern europeans attitudes to Covid I'd expect they will be far more leniant on letting people travel in.

Depends what UEFA want, it could be hosted here at the drop of a hat and every game would be a sell out (from 21st June assuming Gov's covid plans) even with just UK based fans but UEFA dont seem to like us too much.

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Depends what UEFA want, it could be hosted here at the drop of a hat and every game would be a sell out (from 21st June assuming Gov's covid plans) even with just UK based fans but UEFA dont seem to like us too much.

They'll need the ticket revenue, presumably? And to be seen to be doing the right thing?

8 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

They'll need the ticket revenue, presumably? And to be seen to be doing the right thing?

I think we probably all know money will be the biggest influence in decisions

If the Uk are offering full stadiums after 21st June (and part full before that) but other parts of Europe aren't in a position to offer that then that'll probably be the deciding factor

By 2030 the World Cup will be made up of 48 teams initially in 16 groups of 3. That's 96 games in the group stage alone. 

I would imagine that there will be plenty of grounds required to host. 

In the UK, Ashton Gate is the 38th largest stadium by capacity though it may have increased by then if we do something with the Atyeo stand. 

22 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

That could be the only thing that hampers us hosting it all, surely there's no way we'll be letting fans travel into the country?

Based on my experience of central/eastern europeans attitudes to Covid I'd expect they will be far more leniant on letting people travel in.

Vaccination Passports maybe.. 

22 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

If we do end up hosting it this summer, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Government asks visiting fans to pay to quarantine for X amount of days. I could see how that would boost the hospitality sector. That will put plenty of fans off, as will having to apply for a visa to enter the UK.

Who knows. It'll all come out in the wash soon. Either way, I can't see the current plan for the Euros going ahead this summer. 

Classic distraction tactic from the Govt, with the success of the vaccine rollout (which they will claim but really is the success of the NHS, Army logistics etc...) and no-one being able to go to football, what better way to make people forget about 122k dead and billions of pounds wasted throughout this pandemic with money to mates, people who run pubs, people who make jewellery, people who can't make PPE, apps that don't work......what better way to distract everyone than to go for a World Cup bid?

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

We haven’t technically bid but we’ve made overtures that we’d be happy to host the whole thing. 

Inherently, there’s no point in UEFA sticking to the original plan of playing across multiple countries as there’ll be no fans etc. So, it makes logical sense (as with last years Europa/Champs league) to hold it all in one place. The other logic is to hold it in the place in Europe that will be furthest down the line in vaccinations - which is us.

My prediction is we will have the Euros this summer. And furthermore, AG will host some games. With fans.

There was a thread on Twitter a couple of days ago, Mark Kelly is on the case for AG. 

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Mate, I loved 2012. I still sometimes watch the opening ceremony.

It’s widely considered the best Olympics of all time.

We get so many things right as a country, we always do, but we’re so afraid to be proud of it.

I had the opportunity to work at it.

But as i had been working on it since the bid, I was generally fed up of talking about it by 2012 (plus everyone thought we were going to screw it all up...). It would also have meant 3 weeks away with no real financial gain, so I turned down attending and worked out of the manchester office.

Huge mistake. Regret it to this day. Rubbed into my face even more when the cameras panned over the crowd and I saw all my work colleagues celebrating the 3 gold medals in less than an hour on golden Saturday. 

Had the chance to be paid to be at an historical sporting event. Turned it down. Idiot.

41 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Would love to have the world Cup here in 2030 but given it is the 100 year anniversary of its existence my gut feel is that they will want to take it to Uruguay or South America at least.

You really think they will host (possibly) the Worlds largest sporting competition in a country which has 5 stadiums with a capacity of over 20,000, with 4 of them being in the same city?

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

By 2030 the World Cup will be made up of 48 teams initially in 16 groups of 3. That's 96 games in the group stage alone. 

I would imagine that there will be plenty of grounds required to host. 

In the UK, Ashton Gate is the 38th largest stadium by capacity though it may have increased by then if we do something with the Atyeo stand. 

96 games, say 4 per stadium max. Could be 3. So would need 24 stadiums as a minimum.  Maybe only one per city, outside London. Spreading matches around the UK and Ireland will be a key selling point. All part of levelling up. Only stadium in England south of Brum and west of London capable of hosting (if expanded to 40,000). New training site and sports quarter / hotels all in place. Kudos for Bristol would be huge. 

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Would love to have the world Cup here in 2030 but given it is the 100 year anniversary of its existence my gut feel is that they will want to take it to Uruguay or South America at least.

Don't think anyone of them would be able to provide the required stadia or infustructure. Consider how badly Brazil suffered afterwards, I doubt it's on any of their radars

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

If the World Cup 2030 is a five nation bid, we can forget any hope of games in Bristol, Cardiff will (as usual) get chosen instead. Typical “give something to the Welsh” token bollocks.

Not sure how Northern Ireland will feature either, as Windsor Park is far smaller than Ashton Gate.

They will build a new stadium. That's one of the 'benefits' of winning the bid. Massively oversize stadia where they're not needed.

It seems very likely it will be in Europe as the previous 2 are in Asia and north America. Spain & Portugal apparently interested with a joint bid.

I can see Bristol being considered as they will have 16 or so stadia. Maybe 10 in England. Won't get chosen though for the reasons outlined by Graham

3 hours ago, Banned User said:

We'll have the Atyeo renovated by then (after our 3rd successive season in the top half of the Prem) & should be able to host some good games. One of the most modern grounds in the country. 

It'll still be too small BU. Min 42K isn't it? Bloody big Atyeo stand if we can hold 42K! ?

3 hours ago, 054123 said:

Mate, I loved 2012. I still sometimes watch the opening ceremony.

It’s widely considered the best Olympics of all time.

We get so many things right as a country, we always do, but we’re so afraid to be proud of it.

That coming together of the individual Olympic flames to make just one  at the opening ceremony was a moment I will never forget a truly incredible moment that still when I watch it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I felt so proud at that moment as it all came together so perfectly.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

They will build a new stadium. That's one of the 'benefits' of winning the bid. Massively oversize stadia where they're not needed

Suddenly the Stadium for Cornwall project gets a shot in the arm and Pirates and Truro get to play in a 70,000 seater stadium! 

Just had a read, it's a joint UK and Ireland bid.

Wembley

London x4. Emirates and White hart lane, new Chelsea, maybe even Twickenham

Manchester x2. Old Trafford, Etihad

Liverpool x2. Anfield and new Everton stadium

Glasgow / Edinburgh x4. Hampden, Celtic park, Ibrox, Murrayfield.

Dublin x2. Aviva, Croke park.

Cardiff. Principality.

There's 16, all over 50K and only the new Everton ground (about to start the build) and the new Stamford bridge aren't built yet.

Bristol's got no chance of being a host city! We could hold it now TBH with the grounds already in place.

3 hours ago, grifty said:

You really think they will host (possibly) the Worlds largest sporting competition in a country which has 5 stadiums with a capacity of over 20,000, with 4 of them being in the same city?

They would probably need to be part of a combined bid with neighbouring countries but yes I think they will host an element of it. They would build new stadiums accordingly if their bid were succesful

Archived