IGNORED

UK World Cup Bid

Bristol Rob

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just Johnson playing politics, isn't it. Shitting himself at the prospect that the UK is about to break-up on the watch of him and the Conservative and "Unionist" Party.

Probably no more to it than that at this stage.

Populist Prime Minister promotes popular party shocker

10 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Just had a read, it's a joint UK and Ireland bid.

Wembley

London x4. Emirates and White hart lane, new Chelsea, maybe even Twickenham

Manchester x2. Old Trafford, Etihad

Liverpool x2. Anfield and new Everton stadium

Glasgow / Edinburgh x4. Hampden, Celtic park, Ibrox, Murrayfield.

Dublin x2. Aviva, Croke park.

Cardiff. Principality.

There's 16, all over 50K and only the new Everton ground (about to start the build) and the new Stamford bridge aren't built yet.

Bristol's got no chance of being a host city! We could hold it now TBH with the grounds already in place.

We'd probably get the nod as a host city in the event of hosting the egg chasing world cup again.

Stadium and training facilities would both be first class.

12 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Wembley

Cardiff. Principality.

There's 16, all over 50K and only the new Everton ground (about to start the build) and the new Stamford bridge aren't built yet.

Bristol's got no chance of being a host city! We could hold it now TBH with the grounds already in place.

And that's before you consider St James Park (north version), Villa Park, Elland Road, Hillsborough, Potential new Belfast stadium which are also candidates to host 1-2 matches

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

You are correct. Why spunk money away on a process that is all about brown envelopes.

As for 2012, I was massively cynical about the entire Olympics thing, the moment we won the bid I was pretty much resigned to the fact it would cost double when they said it would and the legacies would be close to zero.

Then the games started and I was drawn in to it like no previous Olympics, and probably enjoyed the Paras as much, if not more.

I'd love it if we did have a UK world cup, but I just feel as if we should be invited to host it.

Similar to me with the Olympics.

I was completely underwhelmed by it and largely ignored it for months and then decided I might as well wander out and see the torch relay when it was near me and that was it.

Then shortly before the Olympics I suddenly started to feel the buzz. I bought last minute tickets to women's football at Wembley and then, as I wasn't working at the time (I'd just re-trained at an adult education teacher and was waiting to start a job in September) I bought some last minute Paralympic tickets too.

The Paralympics were utterly superb. I was in the stadium when Jamie Peacock won the T44 100m sprint and it was the best night of athletics I've ever experienced. I also went to the Olympic Park with tickets for something. What was awesome was that, if you had a Paralympic ticket for the park, you could get into absolutely any event as long as there was space. Watching wheelchair rugby was ridiculously brilliant. 

Plus, all this time, it was great to have something on TV whilst I was unemployed. A genuinely great few months. I'd love us to bid for a world cup. 

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Wembley

Cardiff. Principality.

Yuck! Should definitely be more spread out than just those cities, that plus 3 team groups and diluted team quality would mean I would find it hard to get that excited for this.

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

We would probably be a training camp/base though. Not for a big team. Someone like Togo or one of the Korea's. Maybe Australia.

Hopefully we get both of the Korea's, the Fewers can give Kim a glimpse of his impoverished home land up the Mem, and we can provide the South with modern facilities.

We can make the Bearpit roundabout a demilitarised zone.

5 hours ago, 054123 said:

Possibly, but if you look at the overall benefits of the 2012 Olympics, I would say these things are worth it

As your location appears to be Bristol one might suggest you hold this view because you've never paid enormous sums and won't be paying such sums for decades, unlike us mug punters in London on whom the whole charade was foisted. As for benefits? Shyster Coe's legacy, unlike the multi-million image rights he and his fellow Olympian cronies trousered, never materialised. Local sporting opportunities for kids here in SE London were decimated and that's more than organised facilities closed or withdrawn from public use. In Greenwich alone they planted 2012 trees. And where did they plant them, you ask? Answer, just about every last inch of green space where kids once used to run around, kick a ball, flail a bat. NO BALL PLAYING here anymore.

That said, 2012 did afford the opportunity to swop homes with the family of a (now) famous footballer such floating in their infinity pool, in blistering sunshine, overlooking spectacular landscape I really couldn't have given two hoots what was occurring 5k+ miles back home.

7 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

And that's before you consider St James Park (north version), Villa Park, Elland Road, Hillsborough, Potential new Belfast stadium which are also candidates to host 1-2 matches

Over 20 stadia ahead of us then Warks.

Villa park paired with Cardiff

London - Missed out the Olympic stadium.

Dublin

Manchester

Liverpool

The sweaties

North / North East - As above, Newcastle, Sunderland, Elland road

There's 7 areas with more than 1 suitable stadium now, let alone in 9 years!

We've got some seriously nice stadia in the UK haven't we? Bring back terracing for me but that's some big grounds without changing anything!

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Hopefully we get both of the Korea's, the Fewers can give Kim a glimpse of his impoverished home land up the Mem, and we can provide the South with modern facilities.

We can make the Bearpit roundabout a demilitarised zone.

Immediately submit your CV to the FA. We need ideas like this on the bid team.

5 hours ago, 054123 said:

Possibly, but if you look at the overall benefits of the 2012 Olympics, I would say these things are worth it.

There is an intrinsic value to hosting these events. The 2012 Olympics were unbelievable, the scenes in Hanham when the torch came through will live with me forever. 

When I look back on my life the 2012 Olympics were and are, a source of pride and excitement, a high point that I will look back on and treasure forever.

Sometimes you have to do something that just makes you happy.

If you don’t, if you just count beans and attribute value that way, it’s a very unfulfilled existence.

I was in Bordeaux airport in June 2005 when they announced who won the 2012 Olympic bid.  They happened to be showing it in the terminal on TV’s, I think France had also bid, and when they announced London as the winner you could here loads of British people cheering including me, even though at that point I wasn’t that bothered either way.  And forward to 2012 it was a great event, the opening ceremony was brilliant (I got wasted watching it which helped!), and people still talk about it now.  You cannot put a price on these moments, especially when we already have the infrastructure to run a World Cup tomorrow (COVID aside).  Hopefully FIFA being less corrupt will help our bid?

34 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Wembley

Cardiff. Principality.

WC restricts so only one city can have 2 stadiums doesn’t it? 

17 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Over 20 stadia ahead of us then Warks.

Villa park paired with Cardiff

London - Missed out the Olympic stadium.

Dublin

Manchester

Liverpool

The sweaties

North / North East - As above, Newcastle, Sunderland, Elland road

There's 7 areas with more than 1 suitable stadium now, let alone in 9 years!

We've got some seriously nice stadia in the UK haven't we? Bring back terracing for me but that's some big grounds without changing anything!

More to it than just a nice/big stadium I would imagine.

International access via air travel, road access, accommodation availability and all that jazz.

Bristol has little to no chance of out competing south Wales and our best chance of taking advantage of any UK world cup would be by being a fans hub, selling loads of rooms in the hotels at the sporting quarter and then getting loads of South Americans spannered on Thatchers in the car park whilst they watch games on a big screen.

4 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Would love to have the world Cup here in 2030 but given it is the 100 year anniversary of its existence my gut feel is that they will want to take it to Uruguay or South America at least.

England gave football to the world but they now don't want to give it back.

I think that football’s governing bodies resent the “football’s coming home” message that emirates from these shores. As a result I think it creates an “anyone but England” feeling among it’s members. Perhaps,  I suspect, we are not prepared to “pay” as much as the likes of Russia and Qatar.

The quandary  UEFA face is with this summer’s Euro’s. As a few have already commented, it is surely folly to run with the planned event across umpteen counties, with still such uncertainty as to how those countries will be faring with the pandemic by the time the tournament comes around. It is looking likely that the UK will be well ahead of the game with vaccinations by June and, with all the infrastructure already in place could easily bail them out by taking the tournament on at short notice.

The problem I can see is that international football might then feel obligated to return the favour by selecting the UK for the 2030 WC, which goes completely against the grain in view of their apparent resentment of this country. It could well be that they will refuse our offer to bail them out this summer, if only to avoid egg on their faces by having to give us the world cup later.

I think we should bid on condition that FIFA conduct root and branch reform of their organisation, from top to bottom.

When they say no we should withdraw our bid and seek allies to help to create an alternative governing body. 

Shame it’ll never happen.

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

If the World Cup 2030 is a five nation bid, we can forget any hope of games in Bristol, Cardiff will (as usual) get chosen instead. Typical “give something to the Welsh” token bollocks.

Not sure how Northern Ireland will feature either, as Windsor Park is far smaller than Ashton Gate.

To be fair, Cardiff is a capital city with a 75k capacity stadium. I would love to see Bristol chosen, but Cardiff is (unfortunately) probably better suited to host something right now. 2030 is a long way away though, if the Atyeo has been redeveloped by then we may be able to put across a better bid to host a set of matches.

28 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Interesting to note how any bid would define UK?

I was working in Whitehall during the bidding process for the 'London 2012 Olympics'. Recall it was awarded to 'London' alone. And here's the funny thing. Once awarded the Government **** themselves, as once underwriting the bid teams commitments the quiet bloke in the corner of the Treasury, the bloke with zero interest in sport whatsoever, reminded them they'd neglected to factor in 'political' liabilities arising under the Barnett Formula. For those who aren't aware these are payments not enshrined in law but long agreed by convention, whereby a percentage equivalent payment is made to devolved authorities where monies are spent wholly of benefit  in England. At the time the total for Scotland, Wales & NI was 21% on top of what the Olympics would cost ( outturn £9bn delivery + £3bn decommissioning/write down,) so in simple terms they'd forgotten £2,500,000,000 plus chump change. Easy mistake to make.

Now here was the genius ruse.  'Rumours circulated' that it was a fantastic opportunity for devolved politicians to make political capital & criticise the (Londoncentric) Government for excluding their regions from the Olympics. The Region's roused demanding they, too, host events. And they were mightily surprised when, without hesitation, the odd event (mostly low interest football matches,) were thrown their way. Much rejoicing by regional politicians in how they got the Government to capitulate; kudos all round. Until of course it was pointed out to them that the true cost of hosting these meaningless few fixtures were sums with which they really could have built a legacy.

They won't make the same mistake again.

16 minutes ago, KegCity said:

To be fair, Cardiff is a capital city with a 75k capacity stadium. I would love to see Bristol chosen, but Cardiff is (unfortunately) probably better suited to host something right now. 2030 is a long way away though, if the Atyeo has been redeveloped by then we may be able to put across a better bid to host a set of matches.

Not for me, multiple country tournaments are bollocks.

There are plenty of suitable English grounds, if Wales wants to host it then do so on their own or eff off.

54 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Similar to me with the Olympics.

I was completely underwhelmed by it and largely ignored it for months and then decided I might as well wander out and see the torch relay when it was near me and that was it.

Then shortly before the Olympics I suddenly started to feel the buzz. I bought last minute tickets to women's football at Wembley and then, as I wasn't working at the time (I'd just re-trained at an adult education teacher and was waiting to start a job in September) I bought some last minute Paralympic tickets too.

The Paralympics were utterly superb. I was in the stadium when Jamie Peacock won the T44 100m sprint and it was the best night of athletics I've ever experienced. I also went to the Olympic Park with tickets for something. What was awesome was that, if you had a Paralympic ticket for the park, you could get into absolutely any event as long as there was space. Watching wheelchair rugby was ridiculously brilliant. 

Plus, all this time, it was great to have something on TV whilst I was unemployed. A genuinely great few months. I'd love us to bid for a world cup. 

I was away for the Olympics (watching the opening ceremony in a tiny bar in Bulgaria was a cracking night) but managed to get a couple of Paralympic tickets. The wheelchair rugby was incredible as you say. Wheelchair basketball was great fun as well, so glad I got to experience that!

I read somewhere that the reason FIFA hasn’t awarded England another World Cup despite having plenty of suitable stadiums is that many of those stadiums are surrounded by residential housing and there has to be an exclusion zone around any international fixtures - how big that exclusion zone I don’t know.

Might be something that FIFA invented as the FA weren’t prepared to ‘donate’ to Blatter and Plantini’s benevolent fund..................:cool2:

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Wembley

Cardiff. Principality.

If they base it just on stadium capacity they will not win the bid.  They need to sell the UK & Ireland as a package (as well as know which bribes to give which FIFA Executive members).  That means stadia all over the country not just in Premiership grounds and international rugby grounds. 

39 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not for me, multiple country tournaments are bollocks.

There are plenty of suitable English grounds, if Wales wants to host it then do so on their own or eff off.

Trouble is FIFA have  indicated they want multiple country bids by giving 2026 to MExico, USA and Canada. Others apparently interested for 2030 are Argentina, uruquay and Paraguay as well as Spain, Portugal and Morrocco.  

They will argue it allows smaller nations to host it.  I can see a Spanish/Portugese/Morroccan bid winning as it would be supported by 2 confederations.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I read somewhere that the reason FIFA hasn’t awarded England another World Cup despite having plenty of suitable stadiums is that many of those stadiums are surrounded by residential housing and there has to be an exclusion zone around any international fixtures - how big that exclusion zone I don’t know.

Might be something that FIFA invented as the FA weren’t prepared to ‘donate’ to Blatter and Plantini’s benevolent fund..................:cool2:

It's about having a monopoly on everything.  Beer, food etc.  They want a captive audience.    

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not sure what you mean Bard. 

They want to control the whole area so that their sponsors get monopolies on what fans can buy.  For example, if you want a beer it will probably by a Budweiser. You won't be able to get a Pepsi for love nor money.   If the stadium is in the middle of nowhere, FIFA can control the surrounding area and you have a captive audience.  If it's like Ashton Gate or Anfield and surrounded by residential areas and shops etc it means the fans use these rather than 'experiencing the atmosphere' in the exclusion zone.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

More to it than just a nice/big stadium I would imagine.

International access via air travel, road access, accommodation availability and all that jazz.

Bristol has little to no chance of out competing south Wales and our best chance of taking advantage of any UK world cup would be by being a fans hub, selling loads of rooms in the hotels at the sporting quarter and then getting loads of South Americans spannered on Thatchers in the car park whilst they watch games on a big screen.

Hotel capacity within a specified radius of the stadium is also a consideration for any potential host cities, but I think we would be OK on that score.

From memory, with the 2018 bid, the Ashton Vale stadium would have had a temporary stand to increase capacity to 40k which is the minimum requirement. I'm not sure we could do that at Ashton Gate, unfortunately.

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

They want to control the whole area so that their sponsors get monopolies on what fans can buy.  For example, if you want a beer it will probably by a Budweiser. You won't be able to get a Pepsi for love nor money.   If the stadium is in the middle of nowhere, FIFA can control the surrounding area and you have a captive audience.  If it's like Ashton Gate or Anfield and surrounded by residential areas and shops etc it means the fans use these rather than 'experiencing the atmosphere' in the exclusion zone.

Of course - that hadn’t occurred to me............:facepalm:

Yet another massive football rip-off.

9 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Pretty sure FIFA doesn't pay any tax on ticket sales or anything else they can make money from.

The prestige of hosting the event and having 'x' thousands using the hotels, bars and restaurants in any given City is supposed to make up for it.

Archived