IGNORED

RIP Ian St. John

Ronnie Sinclair

Very sorry to see he has passed on.  Cannot really remember him much as a player, but loved the football show St. & Greavsie... used to be on ITV on a Saturday lunch time.  Showing my age I guess.

They had a tremendous chemistry and was really a good light hearted look at the game.. and both ex players who had been at the top.

7 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Very sorry to see he has passed on.  Cannot really remember him much as a player, but loved the football show St. & Greavsie... used to be on ITV on a Saturday lunch time.  Showing my age I guess.

They had a tremendous chemistry and was really a good light hearted look at the game.. and both ex players who had been at the top.

Superb attacking leader. Although he was never the same after he was moved to second striker to accommodate the arrival in Liverpool of Jesus do Cristo!

RIP Saint John.

6 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

When Shankly arrived, he said Liverpool had ‘no money whatsoever to buy players,’ though Sawyer was ‘an ambitious man’ and his arrival gave Shankly the backing he needed at a higher level.

Shankly put two players at the top of his transfer wish-list, but the board still met his desires with scepticism, stating that the club could not afford them.

However, Sawyer spoke up and said, “we cannot afford not to buy them.”

Shankly went on to secure the signatures of his two men, Ian St John and Ron Yeats.

These two players, according to Shankly himself, were “the very beginning of Liverpool’s rise, and they did more for the rise than anyone else. Yeats at the back, St John at the front.”

The two men, combined with goalkeeper Tommy Lawrence, were described as the ‘backbone of the team.’

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

When Shankly arrived, he said Liverpool had ‘no money whatsoever to buy players,’ though Sawyer was ‘an ambitious man’ and his arrival gave Shankly the backing he needed at a higher level.

Shankly put two players at the top of his transfer wish-list, but the board still met his desires with scepticism, stating that the club could not afford them.

However, Sawyer spoke up and said, “we cannot afford not to buy them.”

Shankly went on to secure the signatures of his two men, Ian St John and Ron Yeats.

These two players, according to Shankly himself, were “the very beginning of Liverpool’s rise, and they did more for the rise than anyone else. Yeats at the back, St John at the front.”

The two men, combined with goalkeeper Tommy Lawrence, were described as the ‘backbone of the team.’

Thanks for that. I saw the Shankly team a few times on travels around country. At Leicester, Chelsea were two that stick in the memory. Organized, hard as nails yet so entertaining.

28 minutes ago, Offside said:

That’s such sad news. His playing days were before my time but I used to absolutely love watching Saint and Greavsie. 

RIP Saint. 

This. Saint and Greavsie was must-see telly, it was usually the first opportunity to see goals on a weekend as back then, Tranmere played most of their home games on a Friday night, so they would show them.

56 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Those Saturday mornings/lunchtime had such a strong TV line up. 

Star Fleet

Wrestling

St & Greavesie

We didn’t know how easy things were back then. 

And there I was thinking I was the only person on earth who remembered Star Fleet on Saturday morning. I have even described the program to mates of the same age and no one could recall it. Huge hat tip in your direction Fordy. 

As for the Saint, a massive part of my growing up when there was very little football on TV. 

R. I. P. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Star Fleet

Wrestling

St & Greavesie

Saturday Superstore

Bookies c11:00am

Football Focus

Leave for away game

S&G if we were home (Imperial Ground)

• The title was changed to RIP Ian St. John

Sant & Greavsie was a great double act.

St John was an underestimated player and a very important part of Shankly’s team with which Liverpool’s fortunes were transformed, but Greaves was an absolutely great player - probably the best goalscorer I've seen ( only saw him on telly unfortunately).

Ive seen quotes by defenders of his era, who said that after 85 minutes they’ve been pleased with themselves as Greaves didn't get a kick all game. 5 minutes later Greaves had scored twice.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Like most on here I can’t remember either of them as players but loved saint & grieavsie. Lots of clips could be put on here but I loved this one with spitting image . RIP Saint 

I can't give this enough 'thanks'. Wonderful stuff especially when Saint asked Greavesie how he celebrated scoring his goals! 

R.I.P. Saint

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Star Fleet

Wrestling

St & Greavesie

We must be about the same age mate, that’s my childhood Saturdays right there! Only thing missing is Buck Rogers or Dukes of Hazard on at tea time!

Star Fleet was quality! 

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Sant & Greavsie was a great double act.

St John was an underestimated player and a very important part of Shankly’s team with which Liverpool’s fortunes were transformed, but Greaves was an absolutely great player - probably the best goalscorer I've seen ( only saw him on telly unfortunately).

Ive seen quotes by defenders of his era, who said that after 85 minutes they’ve been pleased with themselves as Greaves didn't get a kick all game. 5 minutes later Greaves had scored twice.

They were a great TV pairing indeed and now sadly Greavsie  is in poor health having suffered a serious stroke within the last couple of years. I believe he’s pretty much bedridden.

I wrote to the Saint and Greavsie show as a youngster asking them to show some of their own career goals but unfortunately they never did.

Greaves was the most prolific  goalscorer of his generation. A natural born striker.

StJohn was also a very decent goalscorer but not in the same class as Greavsie.

As a child I lived in Coventry during the time Ian St John briefly played for the Sky Blues.  He lived just up the road and it seemed completely normal to often see him. His son was also in the same year at school as me. Also it was Saint & Greavesie who presented   the Freight Rover Trophy when we beat Bolton. It’s very sad when players and personalities that you grew up with pass on.

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

“God saves ... but St.John nets the rebound” - classic graffiti in Liverpool - rest easy Saint 

Also a banner outside a liverpool church proclaimed "what will you do when the lord returns to liverpool?" Under which a wag had written "move st. John to inside right"

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Star Fleet

Wrestling

St & Greavesie

I loved Star Fleet!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

They were a great TV pairing indeed and now sadly Greavsie  is in poor health having suffered a serious stroke within the last couple of years. I believe he’s pretty much bedridden.

I wrote to the Saint and Greavsie show as a youngster asking them to show some of their own career goals but unfortunately they never did.

Greaves was the most prolific  goalscorer of his generation. A natural born striker.

StJohn was also a very decent goalscorer but not in the same class as Greavsie.

Well , if you waffled on in your letter like you do on here , I expect they fell asleep reading it ??

Archived