IGNORED

RIP Ian St. John

Ronnie Sinclair

4 hours ago, downendcity said:

Sant & Greavsie was a great double act.

St John was an underestimated player and a very important part of Shankly’s team with which Liverpool’s fortunes were transformed, but Greaves was an absolutely great player - probably the best goalscorer I've seen ( only saw him on telly unfortunately).

Ive seen quotes by defenders of his era, who said that after 85 minutes they’ve been pleased with themselves as Greaves didn't get a kick all game. 5 minutes later Greaves had scored twice.

Saint scored the winner in the 65 Cup final against Leeds

23 minutes ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

Saint scored the winner in the 65 Cup final against Leeds

One of the early cup finals I remember watching on telly as a youngster.

The first one I can definitely remember watching was the Spurs double winners in 1961 when I was 7. Watched with my friends, as we were pretty well the only family with a telly back then! At half time we all used to run out into the road to re-create the first half incidents.

The following year Spurs won again and by coincidence, Greavsie scored in that final.

I found this complete episode of Saint & Greavsie from 1989, it was highlighting the first division championship race between Arsenal, Norwich and Millwall. Shows what a different world it was before the Premier League arrived, miss the old Div 1 in some ways, as Millwall showed all teams had a chance of winning in those days.

5 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I found this complete episode of Saint & Greavsie from 1989, it was highlighting the first division championship race between Arsenal, Norwich and Millwall. Shows what a different world it was before the Premier League arrived, miss the old Div 1 in some ways, as Millwall showed all teams had a chance of winning in those days.

Anyone know the answers to the competition questions near the end?

Archived