IGNORED

SC&T 'Watchalong' experiment for the Bournemouth game

Blagdon red

• SC&T Board Members

As per a mail sent out earlier, the SC&T is trying something new tomorrow...

"On Wednesday evening, for City's home game against Bournemouth, we are running a trial 'Watchalong' and we invite you to come and join us!

This will be a virtual get together on Zoom to chat - and hopefully cheer - with each other as we separately watch the game on our own TVs or other devices.

'Gates' will open at 7.30pm for the 7.45pm kick-off. Admission is free. Just register your wish to join us by sending a mail to this address:

watchalong@bristolcitysupporters.org

We will then send you the Zoom session invitation link.

Capacity is limited, so entry will be on a first come, first served basis. Therefore register your interest now if you'd like to attend.

If this trial goes well, we will look to replicate the idea for selected future games.

Cheers,

Stu Rogers
Chair

PS: To watch the game itself you will, as normal this season, still need to pay your tenner to RobinsTV. This 'Watchalong' is something to do alongside watching the game. The Zoom session itself will not carry any video of the match."

• SC&T Board Members
12 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

You'd better have the killer instinct of Jackie Weaver there Stu as you will be getting all kinds signing up to take the mick.

My suggestion would be requiring that they evidence SC&T membership.

Membership is not required, but there will be some "standing orders" to be read and understood! It is also by invitation only and @thatcham redwill have the Jackie Weaver powers of muting and ejection!

But I'm sure that everyone will be better behaved than many a parish councillor!

15 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

You'd better have the killer instinct of Jackie Weaver there Stu as you will be getting all kinds signing up to take the mick.

My suggestion would be requiring that they evidence SC&T membership.

“You have no authority here Blagdon red!”! 

You do make a serious point though, could be high jacked by Gas amongst others! 

I did consider this, but the issue I see is how different timings on the stream are for people.

I switch my phone off on match days because the alerts system is so far ahead of the game, so I would imagine we would all be seeing the game slightly differently.

13 hours ago, Blagdon red said:

As per a mail sent out earlier, the SC&T is trying something new tomorrow...

"On Wednesday evening, for City's home game against Bournemouth, we are running a trial 'Watchalong' and we invite you to come and join us!

This will be a virtual get together on Zoom to chat - and hopefully cheer - with each other as we separately watch the game on our own TVs or other devices.

'Gates' will open at 7.30pm for the 7.45pm kick-off. Admission is free. Just register your wish to join us by sending a mail to this address:

watchalong@bristolcitysupporters.org

We will then send you the Zoom session invitation link.

Capacity is limited, so entry will be on a first come, first served basis. Therefore register your interest now if you'd like to attend.

If this trial goes well, we will look to replicate the idea for selected future games.

Cheers,

Stu Rogers
Chair

PS: To watch the game itself you will, as normal this season, still need to pay your tenner to RobinsTV. This 'Watchalong' is something to do alongside watching the game. The Zoom session itself will not carry any video of the match."

Might be worth asking each person to wear headphones if they are listening to commentary ?

2 minutes ago, thatcham red said:

Not at all. Everyone is expected to source the game themselves. The zoom is simply to get fans back talking together about the game, sharing collective joy and despair along the way.

Might work, might not. Let's see.

Sounds a great idea, will make half time talk more interesting.

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

As the match is on the red button does that exempt me from this event?

Well you can just say you didn't hear the announcement anyway.

3 hours ago, thatcham red said:

Not at all. Everyone is expected to source the game themselves. The zoom is simply to get fans back talking together about the game, sharing collective joy and despair along the way.

Might work, might not. Let's see.

Definitely worth a go, so many are missing the comraderie of being at the stadium. 

Just out of interest, regarding the notifications from the BBC site anyway. I was at a family thing on Saturday and was only able to follow the game via the alerts, scanning the "live text" on their website and was watching Final Score on the BBC. When Ayew scored the penalty, I received the notification and looked at the TV and it wasn't until nearly 2 minutes later that they said "And were going to the Liberty as there is a penalty". The commentator at the ground then described the penalty, the live text changed on the website after another 30 seconds. They were so far behind I was doubting the notification alert was correct.

I have always known that digital tv in particular are delayed, but I didn't realise how far behind they are even on the BBC or Sky. 

14 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I did consider this, but the issue I see is how different timings on the stream are for people.

I switch my phone off on match days because the alerts system is so far ahead of the game, so I would imagine we would all be seeing the game slightly differently.

For anyone who uses solely BBC Sport app alerts, these can be disabled temporarily for 3 hours at any time. You can then leave your phone on. 

15 hours ago, Spoons said:

How very bizarre..... Why on earth would anyone want to watch a football match and log into zoom to talk about it with other like minded fruit cakes. 

The world has gone mad. 

Really? Probably for the same reason people buy a ticket and join thousands of others to watch at the Gate rather than just listening to the radio. Football is often a shared experience not a solitary one. To be fully enjoyed with and among others. You bounce your ideas off of others and most of us enjoy having that thing in common, “our team”. If that’s mad then guilty as charged, I’m insane

14 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Aaargh!  I hate it when I forget to turn the alert off!!!!  That awful minute after the phone vibrates when you don't know if you've scored or conceded.   Mind you, in the Days Before He Came,  it was never much of a surprise.  

This sounds like a good idea, but I wonder how it’ll work on practice. Is there a limit on numbers? Sorry if mentioned just reading quickly on my lunch break

I find zoom and such like can be difficult to get a word in sometimes, especially if there’s a few particularly outspoken people on the call.

Interesting idea, just not sure how well it would work but certainly worth a go. I don’t know many city fans so apart from here don’t really have anyone to talk city with.

13 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Really? Probably for the same reason people buy a ticket and join thousands of others to watch at the Gate rather than just listening to the radio. Football is often a shared experience not a solitary one. To be fully enjoyed with and among others. You bounce your ideas off of others and most of us enjoy having that thing in common, “our team”. If that’s mad then guilty as charged, I’m insane

At a game you’d probably talk to the handful of people around you or who you’ve attended with. You don’t tend to have a chat with dozens or more people all at once. As I said on other post, interesting idea certainly not going to dismiss people’s efforts but not sure how it would play out.

maybe break out rooms for groups of people to chat in smaller numbers might be an option?

11 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Might be worth asking each person to wear headphones if they are listening to commentary ?

I'll have the game cast to my TV via WiFi, but plan to be on Zoom on my laptop.

Probably may mute myself so the comm I hear won't be heard by everyone else.

7 hours ago, Daniro said:

Aaargh!  I hate it when I forget to turn the alert off!!!!  That awful minute after the phone vibrates when you don't know if you've scored or conceded.   Mind you, in the Days Before He Came,  it was never much of a surprise.  

Haha! the Days Before He Came, love that.

I'm sure my life was well within its usual frame, the day before you came, Nigel. 

Archived