IGNORED

Nigel Pearson Webinar

11 hours ago, steveybadger said:

That second comment is very interesting.......

Agreed. Could be a big positive. Perhaps Pearson has the experience and gravitas to manage his relationship with someone like Ashton effectively so we all benefit. Leaves both parties to focus on what they’re good at.

Perhaps a happy medium could be to allow Pearson to bring in, or be heavily involved with the recruitment of, a chief scout who’s responsible for player ID. Ashton can continue being the guy who handles the agent side and corporate level tasks including his FA responsibilities. Then ultimately Pearson has final say on transfers and gets to focus on managing the side.

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. Could be a big positive. Perhaps Pearson has the experience and gravitas to manage his relationship with someone like Ashton effectively so we all benefit. Leaves both parties to focus on what they’re good at.

Perhaps a happy medium could be to allow Pearson to bring in, or be heavily involved with the recruitment of, a chief scout who’s responsible for player ID. Ashton can continue being the guy who handles the agent side and corporate level tasks including his FA responsibilities. Then ultimately Pearson has final say on transfers and gets to focus on managing the side.

I think that is what may happen, assuming NP wants someone he trusts to do the talent ID aspect.  I don’t think any of us have a problem with MA’s remit with negotiating the deal itself, but my big beef is the lack of a recruitment plan / strategy and then adherence to it.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think that is what may happen, assuming NP wants someone he trusts to do the talent ID aspect.  I don’t think any of us have a problem with MA’s remit with negotiating the deal itself, but my big beef is the lack of a recruitment plan / strategy and then adherence to it.

Yeah exactly. I think the general consensus is that MA does have skills in the negotiation of contracts and fees. The issue is how much overspill his remit has into areas where maybe he doesn't have skills/expertise.

His influence with the FA is obviously something Lansdown values. I wonder whether part of that idea is having AG as a World Cup or Euro venue at some stage. I know that was SL's ambition with Ashton Vale. 

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah exactly. I think the general consensus is that MA does have skills in the negotiation of contracts and fees. The issue is how much overspill his remit has into areas where maybe he doesn't have skills/expertise.

His influence with the FA is obviously something Lansdown values. I wonder whether part of that idea is having AG as a World Cup or Euro venue at some stage. I know that was SL's ambition with Ashton Vale. 

Genuine question, but does he actually have any influence with the FA?  For years, the relationship between the FA and the FL has seemed to be an uneasy alliance at best.

1 minute ago, Steve Watts said:

Genuine question, but does he actually have any influence with the FA?  For years, the relationship between the FA and the FL has seemed to be an uneasy alliance at best.

Assume Foggy meant influence with EFL (rather than FA).

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly this. I said on an earlier thread that NP and MA don't need to like each other, they need to respect each other.

Sounds like NP doesn't like agents but knows they are part of football nowadays. He'll be glad to have someone's like MA who seems able to take them in his stride, and if he continues to negotiate successfully then he'll have NPs respect - probably even more so than if NP thought he could do it himself. 

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The problem I have is that contract negotiation in itself isn't particularly a CEO duty - more of a commercial / legal kind of function.   The same with recruitment, which needs much more footballing expertise than MA has.  

If you're going to have a CEO, that means someone who'd develops and delivers the entire strategic plan and ensures the expertise and resources are in place.    We're all happy now, but to me it seems that it needed the owner to seize control of the reins because the CEO's business model and lack of football know-how was steering us off a cliff.        The CEO job is all about who has ultimate authority and who is ultimately accountable for performance and the last two months tell us all we need to know about our current job holder.

15 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Nigel Pearson took part in a coaching webinar today with The Coaches Voice - full replay available with their free trial:

A few quotes on their Twitter account including this one...

As Nigel is pictured wearing chain mail, I'm beginning to understand why we suffer so many training injuries!

I don't blame him not wanting to deal with agents...could see him nutting em. 

In future interviews if taken on long term, it would be needed to ask what involvement he has in the recruitment of players.

It's the biggest discussion on here, as to who made the judgement and requested certain players.

Ideally we would have a DoF, a CEO, and head coach.

1 hour ago, Daniro said:

The problem I have is that contract negotiation in itself isn't particularly a CEO duty - more of a commercial / legal kind of function.   The same with recruitment, which needs much more footballing expertise than MA has.  

If you're going to have a CEO, that means someone who'd develops and delivers the entire strategic plan and ensures the expertise and resources are in place.    We're all happy now, but to me it seems that it needed the owner to seize control of the reins because the CEO's business model and lack of football know-how was steering us off a cliff.        The CEO job is all about who has ultimate authority and who is ultimately accountable for performance and the last two months tell us all we need to know about our current job holder.

Yep, whole post is nail on head.

Archived