IGNORED

Bournemouth (H) - Weds 3rd March 19:45 - Matchday thread

"Stick your neck out" predictions  

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

We played OKAY tonight. It’s a big improvement on Holden’s last 8 games but I think seeing this as a good performance shows how poor it’s been. IMO.

Two soft goals conceded.

But agreed feels like light years ahead of the dross that went before. We're actually seeing our most talented players playing in their preferred positions and at least occasionally showing what they can do. Bournemouth should be favourites with the squad they have.

So when people ask what do you expect from Pearson, this game actually.

I expect us to look generally competent against a team with better players, look organised at least, and create some chances even if they have more.

Now we can talk about the lack of quality, or bemoan player mistakes, rather than being disgusted at the entire set up.

Next stop is to gradually make the attacking play and ball retention better if our players are capable of it.

Come out of this game pretty positive IMO.

1 minute ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Ref celebrating with the Bournemouth lads on the way home. Really poor from him, head injury for hunt, numerous missed fouls and even the trip by Kelly on vyner that led to their second

Did wonder about that- certainly the head injury should have been a stoppage, maybe a foul there too but to get both go against is pretty disappointing!

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Ah well that’s a bit disappointing. Couple of mistakes costing us tonight. Pretty unimpressed with Bournemouth given their quality - I’ll say again I don’t see them going back up this year.

Missed Vyner in midfield (great game again if not MOTM) when he went to RB - Lansbury disappointing, made the odd the challenge or clearance but distribution was poor on the whole.

Bakinson looking super in that advanced role again, lost his marker for the winner though. Nagy busy if less productive.

Wells and Palmer revitalised. Palmer in particular had a very good game. Kalas and Mapps good again.

Fam - frustrating. Did a good job as the focal point again but wasteful in the box when we needed a bit more composure.

Thought a draw would have been a fair result, but despite the loss, for me, it’s one of those games where the performance, or progress being made, makes up for it a bit. 

Really get a feeling that this squad, fully fit, playing like this under NP is an exciting prospect.

'T' tried to wrestle Billing, who head it against him and the ball rebounded off Carter-Vickers. A tad unlucky.

1 minute ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Ref celebrating with the Bournemouth lads on the way home. Really poor from him, head injury for hunt, numerous missed fouls and even the trip by Kelly on vyner that led to their second. 

And when their guy flattened Sessengnon he hit him with his arm not a clash of heads

Gave it a good go. 

Final ball disappointing, part delivery/part lack of anticipation.

Some stand out performances. Kalas didn’t deserve to be on the losing side. Nagy back to his energetic best, Vyner impressive, Wells put a good shift in, Bakinson decent.

Onwards and upwards.  

Just now, DT The Optimist said:

might be true that, but need a fair bit fine tuning to make us a real prospect next year... simply need more cutting edge up front as well as an ability to cut out soft goals being conceded...  should have got a point tonight..

Yep agreed. 

I just picture that team with Dasilva, Williams back in it, probably a new RB and a few strong additions up front...could be good.

Think had we had a stronger bench, we might not have lost that game.

1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

At times that looked like a DH performance. Wells out wide, and collectively ineffective up front, and conceding way too much possession really deep in our half. Bit disappointing really. Can’t win them all I suppose

True. I have faith in NP to acknowledge these problems and iron them out as best he can. I doubt there's unique problems he'd face here that he hasn't encountered before

Feel a bit harsh that we’ve lost that. Yes Bournemouth had possession at times, but in the areas they were not hurting us, and when they got close we shut them out. 

The little things didn’t go right for us tonight. We would have come away with 3 points on another night...

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Two soft goals conceded.

But agreed feels like light years ahead of the dross that went before. We're actually seeing our most talented players playing in their preferred positions and at least occasionally showing what they can do. Bournemouth should be favourites with the squad they have.

Apart from Nahki Wells. Who had scored two in two from the MIDDLE.

mixed emotions. Disappointed with the loss however we did play decent football. Bournemouth’s side compared to our bare bone squad was always going to be a tough ask. 6 points out of 9 from 3 really hard games you’d take that anyday. Lansbury should never play for city again after that performance, think he gave the ball away bar twice.

6 minutes ago, 2015 said:

2nd half was dreadful gotta be honest

We played 2nd half like it was a friendly

Theyve just played how many games in how many days?

dominated in a number of those games too, constant ball chasing.

The players look leggy and tired, not sure how we fix that with such a thin squad

Just now, MarcusX said:

Theyve just played how many games in how many days?

dominated in a number of those games too, constant ball chasing.

The players look leggy and tired, not sure how we fix that with such a thin squad

City's style has been like this when going a goal down with not much urgency all season and under Johnson last term. It's just frustrating

Missed Hunt and then Vyner from midfield. Players looked tired come the end but with injuries need one more big performance on Saturday before a week off. Kalas Nagy Bakinson Palmer Mariappa all had very good games. Always gutting to lose but 6 points from 3 very difficult games is an excellent return. 

4 defeats at home on the trot needs to stop. I really hope NP improves our home form as it’s been shit for quite a time now

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

No lack of effort but a lack of quality in the second half and at no point did we look like scoring.

Agreed but it’s small steps after the car crash Holden left us with. First step is to be competitive and we have at least managed that in three matches. Can we go a step further and show a bit of quality in upcoming matches against lower placed teams?

3 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Apart from Nahki Wells. Who had scored two in two from the MIDDLE.

Apart from Nahki Wells through the middle, fair enough. Our most talented players include Palmer and Nagy...and they are both playing in positions that suit them...that's what I was thinking of. 

Archived