IGNORED

Bournemouth (H) - Weds 3rd March 19:45 - Matchday thread

"Stick your neck out" predictions  

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Have I stumbled on to a different OTIB?

We lost, nobody is kicking off, people are praising the bloke that normally gets hammered in Jack Hunt and all is calm?

Not like the proper OTIB where Robbored and Hampshire normally say something and someone kicks off.

I like this OTIB more than the proper one! 

What really gets on my nerves is Sky talking about the awful run of injuries Leicester have had but when discussing our game beforehand not one mention of the massive injury problems we have had to deal with all season. Do they ever take any time or trouble to find anything out about  clubs outside the Prem. Pathetic reporting.

7 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

What really gets on my nerves is Sky talking about the awful run of injuries Leicester have had but when discussing our game beforehand not one mention of the massive injury problems we have had to deal with all season. Do they ever take any time or trouble to find anything out about  clubs outside the Prem. Pathetic reporting.

Yeah.

Wayne Rooney's Derby County would get a mention.

6 minutes ago, Street red said:

That's the difference tonight we looked solid actually worked for the ball we had a shape,Honestly thought we would get a point from that.

When they had the ball, I though our line of 4 and line of 5 looked well drilled. Not like City atall.

21 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Have I stumbled on to a different OTIB?

We lost, nobody is kicking off, people are praising the bloke that normally gets hammered in Jack Hunt and all is calm?

Not like the proper OTIB where Robbored and Hampshire normally say something and someone kicks off.

I like this OTIB more than the proper one! 

There’s a flaw in the Matrix

This is going to sound negative, but it’s not intended too.

As a whole the Bournemouth players looked far more comfortable on the ball, always had options, and looked like they had another gear to go into.

We played well at times, closed them down very impressively ( which is a massive difference from a few weeks ago) and worked hard.

Going forward we looked very hopeful for much of the game, we didn’t build in midfield by keeping the ball and allowing runners to get forward. Hence, we ended up with Fam totally isolated, and played the ball forward far too early.

Pearson will learn far more about us tonight than in the previous two games imo.

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

As a whole the Bournemouth players looked far more comfortable on the ball, always had options, and looked like they had another gear to go into.

We played well at times, closed them down very impressively ( which is a massive difference from a few weeks ago) and worked hard.

Going forward we looked very hopeful for much of the game, we didn’t build in midfield by keeping the ball and allowing runners to get forward. Hence, we ended up with Fam totally isolated, and played the ball forward far too early.

Pearson will learn far more about us tonight than in the previous two games imo.

Not negative Bill. They were given tens of millions of parachute payments and at times we held them, at times we scared them. Three weeks ago we would have lost that 4-0

33 minutes ago, HoldenBall said:

You sure about that? One of our best players..

Yeah, not because I don't rate Fam. It's more that I think we need a fresh start, new signings, hungrier young players coming in, with Pearson in charge. It would be good for the club.

9 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Not having a go but why didn't they go into that other gear then? It's not because they were comfortable, lucky 89th minute deflected goal. With the players they and money they have I thought they weren't great.

8 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

After the 1st 15-20mins Thats the best football we’ve played all season. Fam IMO needs to move more. Into space, into a channel or hold the bloody ball, come deep looking for it to allow midfield to run past. Which we did in the 1st half.  His movement, doesn’t help sometimes. Think here it’s getting him to be consistent.  What frustrates most of the time he doesn’t spin off the long ball. 

9 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Just heard Woodgate on RB.

What an uninspiring, boring, incoherent, monotone dreary ****t !

No way is he cut out to be a manager. Useless at Boro, and Bournemouth are going to regret appointing him.

Happy days !

Whereas our nige sounds so upbeat, chest thumping and exciting!

8 hours ago, Banjo Red said:

Should play have been stopped for the head injury or not?

Yes, definitely.

I saw only one rerun of the incident during the game. It was from a camera at ground level from behind the goal.

A Bournemouth player took Hunt out in the air with leading elbow to the back of Hunt's neck or head. Whether it was deliberate or accidental it is still dangerous play and thus a red card.

We are so naive as a squad. We don't use the cynical foul in the way that almost every club does.

Kelly and Vyner grew up together at City. Kelly got a yellow for a fairly innocuous foul on Bakinson when Tyreeq was clear going toward goal.

Vyner could have done the same to their player to stop the breakaway that led to the winning goal.

I'm old school who wants to see everyone "playing the game" but if 99% of all football and rugby pros are now willing to cheat with cynical fouls, isn't it about time City joined in?

Just watched the highlights to try and see some of the things the Red button feed misses. That commentator is annoying FFS.

TheTeam

Big improvement on what we've watched for a long time. There is a shape and plan in place now, all be it very early as NP learns about the players. We still look like the same side, prone to poor or lazy passing that seems to set the tone for the game, difference is last night we shook that off and there was a massive improvement from about 15/20 mins up to half time.
I thought Vyner showed his worth , being able to step into MF and get us more on the front foot. Bakinson , for the most part was very good. Wells really put in a shift. Maps & Kalas again solid and Sess did well. Nagy was Nagy (or Nodge) and Palmer did some good things even though his passing was a touch off. Disappointed again with Lansbury, not seen anything that makes me thinks he's a player. Fam was poor IMO, even though the service wasn't great he didn't seem interested at times. Felt sorry for Bents', but having watched it several times I just think he thought it was going to be a cross and got caught out. The one he palmed into the 6 yard box does seem to dip late, but the goal I think he try to catch, and doesn't. Just hope it doesn't hit his confidence as he does seem very much, a confidence player.

The Game

Thought we were good 2nd part of the first half, we looked dangerous . Their threat seemed to come from shots from outside the box and we looked to be coping quite well. The goal changed all of that. Looks like Hunt was caught with a leading arm, not for the first time Ref missed a foul for us. Only Stanislas will know if it was a shot, Bents may have been distracted by Hunt, and can't help thinking these would be pulled up if it was us attacking. Apart from the equaliser on half time, it pretty much finished Hunts night. That was the big thing for me. Pearson is still learning the squad, maybe he would have done things differently on another day, but having an experienced CMF in Lansbury on the bench, seems a reasonable decision to move Zak to FB. After the switch we offered very little, Kalas's effort our only one of the half? TBF we didn't give them much, until. Another moan, I thought at the time there was a foul in the build up, no reply and nothing on the highlights so I don't know, but another in the long line where the Ref seemed to lean towards the ex Prem team. Poor defending maybe, but when your lucks out, scrambled header hits another player on the back and goes in. Personally I don't know why teams don't have players on the post, but that's me.

My thoughts

Pearson has very little time between games to change or affect things, it will probably take 4 times as long as it would in pre-season so at the moment it's just try and get wins. We already look more organised , but more compact. But some of the same failings will be there, it's the same players after all. We have carried more threat in the last 3 games than we did in the last 3 months. We will be stuck with the same players for the foreseeable , I don't see any players back soon. I don't think Walsh was involved with U23's so he's not close. They will have to be careful with Baker and the rest , so maybe next month? Hunt could be missing for QPR , depends on what it was, concussion or not. 
With very little time there has been adjustments, the experience NP has will make a big difference IMO. He can't add players, can barely put out a squad, but his experience could be the important factor.

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Yes, definitely.

I saw only one rerun of the incident during the game. It was from a camera at ground level from behind the goal.

A Bournemouth player took Hunt out in the air with leading elbow to the back of Hunt's neck or head. Whether it was deliberate or accidental it is still dangerous play and thus a red card.

We are so naive as a squad. We don't use the cynical foul in the way that almost every club does.

Kelly and Vyner grew up together at City. Kelly got a yellow for a fairly innocuous foul on Bakinson when Tyreeq was clear going toward goal.

Vyner could have done the same to their player to stop the breakaway that led to the winning goal.

I'm old school who wants to see everyone "playing the game" but if 99% of all football and rugby pros are now willing to cheat with cynical fouls, isn't it about time City joined in?

I mean its not cheating is it, everything they do is within the rules of the game accepting the foul and yellow card as a consequence, yes its cynical but its not cheating

54 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I'd take Pearson's honest and considered analysis over Dean 'We look at ourselves in the mirror and go again' Holden any day.

I find it completely refreshing - he's just as considered as SO'D but nowhere near as dour and uncharismatic. 

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I'm not sure any of the City players realised ,Hunt goes down slowly, almost after the ball is cleared. We should (if they saw it) scream to the Ref about a head injury, happened to us enough. I wonder if that's why Stanislas hits the shot (if it was a shot) , I wonder if he thinks the game maybe stopped.

32 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I find him calm, considered and relaxed- a marked change from DH's banalaties and frowns, and particularly LJ's wittering nonsense.

He looks and sounds like he's in control, of both his job and his emotions - a quiet confidence that can be inspiring without the chest thumping.

His experience and maturity gives him a certain gravitas that is reassuring and puts him leagues above the likes of Woodgate.

Archived