IGNORED

Bournemouth (H) - Weds 3rd March 19:45 - Matchday thread

"Stick your neck out" predictions  

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I find him calm, considered and relaxed- a marked change from DH's banalaties and frowns, and particularly LJ's wittering nonsense.

He looks and sounds like he's in control, of both his job and his emotions - a quiet confidence that can be inspiring without the chest thumping.

His experience and maturity gives him a certain gravitas that is reassuring and puts him leagues above the likes of Woodgate.

Completely agree. Obviously not a universal rule - but I find in general the optimum age for a manager is in their 50s. By that time they'll have the right experience, but won't be behind the times as you sometimes see with older managers.

Our last 2 managers to get us a promotion have been 50+. I am quietly confident that Pearson will make that 3. 

33 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm not sure any of the City players realised ,Hunt goes down slowly, almost after the ball is cleared. We should (if they saw it) scream to the Ref about a head injury, happened to us enough. I wonder if that's why Stanislas hits the shot (if it was a shot) , I wonder if he thinks the game maybe stopped.

I'm sure Bentley's screaming  its right in front of him

44 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Completely agree. Obviously not a universal rule - but I find in general the optimum age for a manager is in their 50s. By that time they'll have the right experience, but won't be behind the times as you sometimes see with older managers.

Our last 2 managers to get us a promotion have been 50+. I am quietly confident that Pearson will make that 3. 

I noted when he was appointed that Pearson is the oldest manager at time of appointment (57) in my 50 years of supporting the club.

He seems to have developed a calm maturity at this stage of his career, a very steady and assured figure, who clearly builds a positive rapport with the players quickly while at the same time gaining their respect.

Already comes across as very much a father figure to the players - or almost Grandfather figure in the case of the teenagers! - protective, encouraging, not overly critical, but they're left in no doubt he is expectant of their very best - just as it should be imo.

That's a relationship where the players should thrive individually and collectively, and at the very least we will have the enjoyment of always watching not only a well organised, but a fully committed City team while he's at the helm.

I share your quiet confidence that could lead to promotion.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Yes, definitely.

I saw only one rerun of the incident during the game. It was from a camera at ground level from behind the goal.

A Bournemouth player took Hunt out in the air with leading elbow to the back of Hunt's neck or head. Whether it was deliberate or accidental it is still dangerous play and thus a red card.

We are so naive as a squad. We don't use the cynical foul in the way that almost every club does.

Kelly and Vyner grew up together at City. Kelly got a yellow for a fairly innocuous foul on Bakinson when Tyreeq was clear going toward goal.

Vyner could have done the same to their player to stop the breakaway that led to the winning goal.

I'm old school who wants to see everyone "playing the game" but if 99% of all football and rugby pros are now willing to cheat with cynical fouls, isn't it about time City joined in?

The worst thing about the head injury bit. Forget the red card for a second but play should surely have been stopped.

It's not even the first time this year! Rowe at Norwich in January, head injury. Play on, goal- opening goal IIRC.

Now unlike last night we didn't deserve anything from that game but we don't seem to get a fair crack.

On a side note, Vyner v Kelly at the end. Fair challenge or foul? No real complaints about fairness but if that Naughton penalty at Stoke anything to go by last night then based on that benchmark (happy to watch both again though) then both Bournemouth goals possibly should've been chalked off!

Having said that Rowe at Norwich could've been hammed up Idk but we don't seem to get amounts in our favour.

13 hours ago, 2015 said:

City's style has been like this when going a goal down with not much urgency all season and under Johnson last term. It's just frustrating

Maybe so, but we've got a new manager so the one constant is the players and the amount of time they've played. Certainly since the restart last season it's been pretty tough going for them and now we're bare bones in terms of squad members that are fit

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Yes, definitely.

I saw only one rerun of the incident during the game. It was from a camera at ground level from behind the goal.

A Bournemouth player took Hunt out in the air with leading elbow to the back of Hunt's neck or head. Whether it was deliberate or accidental it is still dangerous play and thus a red card.

We are so naive as a squad. We don't use the cynical foul in the way that almost every club does.

Kelly and Vyner grew up together at City. Kelly got a yellow for a fairly innocuous foul on Bakinson when Tyreeq was clear going toward goal.

Vyner could have done the same to their player to stop the breakaway that led to the winning goal.

I'm old school who wants to see everyone "playing the game" but if 99% of all football and rugby pros are now willing to cheat with cynical fouls, isn't it about time City joined in?

That's why I don't blame Bentley for the goal he was more concerned with Hunt, in my opinion that's dirty play from Bournemouth.

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

I mean its not cheating is it, everything they do is within the rules of the game accepting the foul and yellow card as a consequence, yes its cynical but its not cheating

Is a deliberate foul with no attempt to play the ball, not cheating? It is in my understanding of the word.

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

Is a deliberate foul with no attempt to play the ball, not cheating? It is in my understanding of the word.

Kyle Naughton last night would be cheating for me, Luis Suarez red card hand ball, Rivaldo etc, Kelly would more fall into gamesmanship for me

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I find him calm, considered and relaxed- a marked change from DH's banalaties and frowns, and particularly LJ's wittering nonsense.

He looks and sounds like he's in control, of both his job and his emotions - a quiet confidence that can be inspiring without the chest thumping.

His experience and maturity gives him a certain gravitas that is reassuring and puts him leagues above the likes of Woodgate.

Completely agree mate.

With Pearson you can hear the assurance, confidence and experience that he has. 

With LJ most of the time I heard bullshit and buzzwords and with Holden the same “we go again” responses.

He is a breath of fresh air.

IMO our possession was given away far, far too cheaply again. As in most other games this season. The law of averages says that’s gonna come back and bite you in the ass.

I hope this is something NP works on over the coming weeks.

Archived