IGNORED

Academy releases

Bristol Rob

9 minutes ago, nickolas said:

They dont. Friend of mines son left last summer at age 18. No deal. 
Not heard from the club once since!!!

Wow. Surprised at that.

I know we signed Lita (I think) as sone organised Exit Trials event when released players can be scouted, but I as surprised the club don't do more for young players who are likely devastated at the cancellation of their dream.

Get the idea that at 18, you have your whole life in front of you, but if all you have known is football to a high standard since childhood, are 18 year olds mentally ready to park ideas of a pro career and to suddenly look for an alternative life path.

As for that highly rated youngster featured in that BBC story...

Just wondering if City should offer him a trial. It would make a welcome change from our usual recruitment strategy of signing someone and then injuring them, by giving players who are already injured we could get one step ahead of ourselves.

18 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Wow. Surprised at that.

I know we signed Lita (I think) as sone organised Exit Trials event when released players can be scouted, but I as surprised the club don't do more for young players who are likely devastated at the cancellation of their dream.

Get the idea that at 18, you have your whole life in front of you, but if all you have known is football to a high standard since childhood, are 18 year olds mentally ready to park ideas of a pro career and to suddenly look for an alternative life path.

Three years ago some of Bristol's junior clubs and development centres met Brian Tinnion to discuss (complain) how BCFC released players from the its academy. 

All football clubs should be looking at how they release players. Its not just a question of alternative employment. The majority of players released from academies cease to play the sport they loved. This includes not just young adults but children.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Wow. Surprised at that.

Was odd. He had all the right noises about a pro contract then that was it, nothing. Seems strange but hes defo not had contact, apart from asking the club to help him with finding a club locally as a reference. 

Maybe after care support is not the issue here.  Should clubs be doing even more to manage young players expectations and put more emphasis on importance of education/qualifications whilst at the club?   Throw in parents to that mix too. They still have a responsibility to their children to emphasise the importance of schooling.

Perhaps better 'education' from the club and parents on the realities of making it might encourage more youngsters to take the non footballing education seriously?  

(Too many educations in there but you know what I mean).

If I lost my job I wouldn't expect my employer to have to fund a post employment support scheme that they put me on.

IMO if kids are struggling when they are released then obviously they'll be hugely disapointed their dream didn't come true but if they are struggling more seriously beyond that then there has to be serious questions asked about the support they received whilst at the club and how they were developed/expectations managed. 

From personal experience of both Academy players and 'trialists' from local leagues I would blame the parents in all cases.

The expectation of parents and family far execeeds the real chances of success as explained by numerous individuals in the clubs, creates pressure on the individual and generates complaints against a club.

8 hours ago, Hxj said:

From personal experience of both Academy players and 'trialists' from local leagues I would blame the parents in all cases.

The expectation of parents and family far execeeds the real chances of success as explained by numerous individuals in the clubs, creates pressure on the individual and generates complaints against a club.

That’s very harsh.  I work in grassroots football and my impression is that most parents understand the pitfalls of the Academy system - certainly we try to make them aware if a league club comes sniffing around - but little can prepare them for the way that boys are summarily pushed out of a club.  Southampton do a lot of scouting around Bath as people probably know, and the son of a friend of mine was recently pushed out of the club after four years of his father ferrying him backwards and forwards to Southampton.  The demands on parents if they have a child in an academy are astonishing - I really don’t know how some of them do it - but once the child is out, they’re out.

Of course, it’s the nature of the beast.  Clubs are constantly creaming off the best players from local clubs, in the full knowledge that most of them will not make it in the end.  It’s a savage system.

8 hours ago, Hxj said:

My experience too Prag. I've also seen parents push kids so hard as to literally burn them out. All in the name of their own vanity as much as anything else. So when their star in the making doesn't make it, it's the club's fault. Football is a tough industry - it's not a talent show. 

38 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That’s very harsh.  I work in grassroots football and my impression is that most parents understand the pitfalls of the Academy system - certainly we try to make them aware if a league club comes sniffing around - but little can prepare them for the way that boys are summarily pushed out of a club.  Southampton do a lot of scouting around Bath as people probably know, and the son of a friend of mine was recently pushed out of the club after four years of his father ferrying him backwards and forwards to Southampton.  The demands on parents if they have a child in an academy are astonishing - I really don’t know how some of them do it - but once the child is out, they’re out.

Of course, it’s the nature of the beast.  Clubs are constantly creaming off the best players from local clubs, in the full knowledge that most of them will not make it in the end.  It’s a savage system.

Academy sides often have drivers who do pickup routes for players to help ease pressure on parents to get kids to training/matches, sounds more like personal choice to drive their kid 

Also not true about once you're out you're out, decent amount of academies are often known for bringing players back with they apply themselves and improve after their release

55 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Academy sides often have drivers who do pickup routes for players to help ease pressure on parents to get kids to training/matches, sounds more like personal choice to drive their kid 

Not sure about that, I haven't heard of that once in the cases of local clubs (City, Rovers, Yeovil, Cardiff). People I knew who've been on the books at these clubs over the years have relied on parents. No idea about Saints as historically they're usually a cut above at Academy level. 

Also not true about once you're out you're out, decent amount of academies are often known for bringing players back with they apply themselves and improve after their release

Things might have moved on a bit, but someone I know who was in the academy 10/11 years ago was let go and this was never a realistic possibility. The club's training was archaic too - a few keepie uppie drills, a game of 3 touch and that was about it.

Numerous players developed recurring muscle and joint injuries that were never properly diagnosed or treated that have stayed with them into adulthood. 

I'm sure things have moved on a great deal since then, but our set up wasn't too good even a few years ago.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not sure about that, I haven't heard of that once in the cases of local clubs (City, Rovers, Yeovil, Cardiff). People I knew who've been on the books at these clubs over the years have relied on parents. No idea about Saints as historically they're usually a cut above at Academy level. 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/vacancy-bristol-city-fc-academy-drivers/

We now require drivers to join our Operations Team to transport players (U9-U18) to and from evening training (weekdays) and to fixtures (weekdays & weekends)

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/vacancy-bristol-city-fc-academy-drivers/

We now require drivers to join our Operations Team to transport players (U9-U18) to and from evening training (weekdays) and to fixtures (weekdays & weekends)

That's great then - my reference point for the academy is about 10 years ago so as mentioned I'm sure things have moved on since. The only point I'd quibble is how far the 'to and from' extends. In the case of Southampton, as we know they pick up players as far as Bath, would they realistically have a driver take players from that distance? 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

That's great then - my reference point for the academy is about 10 years ago so as mentioned I'm sure things have moved on since. The only point I'd quibble is how far the 'to and from' extends. In the case of Southampton, as we know they pick up players as far as Bath, would they realistically have a driver take players from that distance? 

In City's case I'm pretty sure it stretches into Wales and down to south somerset.

I thought the 'Southampton' players from Bath trained at Bath as well? My understanding of academy football is you can't play for an academy in the official games programme unless you live within a 90 minute commute to the academy, no idea where their academy is in Southampton but 90 mins from St Mary's reaches Frome.

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

In City's case I'm pretty sure it stretches into Wales and down to south somerset.

I thought the 'Southampton' players from Bath trained at Bath as well? My understanding of academy football is you can't play for an academy in the official games programme unless you live within a 90 minute commute to the academy, no idea where their academy is in Southampton but 90 mins from St Mary's reaches Frome.

You're right I think actually,  I do know someone who trained with Saints at a satellite in Bath now you mention it. 

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Southampton have regional centres who play as regional centres further away from Southampton than Bath. Players will also once a month join the main academy. After a timescale the players who reach the required standard will join the academy full time/move to the Southampton area/be privately schooled by Southampton. 

The centres frequently have their own drivers to games but parents and players get their kids to the centres.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Its is harsh. Academies are great experiences for most but parents are putting their kids into a possible profession where they almost certainly fail. Its easier to be a GP than a pro. Yes the demands are astonishing - A decision is made that means that childhood will not be normal.

Archived