IGNORED

Best Performance of the Three

Port Said Red

It's good to see us looking a lot more solid and, when we stopped panicking and trying to snap passes around with little care or at times skill, we started to move the ball around a bit better. 

If we play the rest of the season out like this we can definitely class ourselves as a solid mid table championship team. That's definitely something we can build on and, given the potential upheaval with all the contracts uncertainty this summer, is a comfortable start. 

What we need to become is a dangerous side, a team that going forward makes opposition defences nervous. We clearly lacked that additional quality that Bournemouth's recent Premiership squad has. 

Off the back of the last few games I would more than happily see out the season continuing to develop the younger players in the squad with a mid table finish in mind. The absolute priority should be tying down NP on a long term contract so that he can look to the future. 

I thought we looked organised in defence, and to a lesser extent attack. We knocked it around quickly and with confidence at times. Thoroughly enjoyable game between two decent sides. A few standout performances, Kalas and Mariappa beginning to form a partnership, Vyner and Wells superb, but as Vyner tired and Nakhi gave for me his best display in a City shirt, the latter my MOM. 

Lots of good things to see on display tonight.

My biggest criticism is the over-eagerness to try to play a defence splitting pass.  You spend 2-3 minutes chasing the ball, keeping good shape, win the ball, then give it back within 3 passes.

We look fairly well drilled within 8 days.  Thought we closed down / pressed well when the opportunity was there to pinch a ball into midfield or off a loose touch.  That’s encouraging.

Although we tired, I thought both sides did to an extent, and need to remember this was Bournemouth.

We will get a good comparison on Saturday in terms of whether we can control more of the game against a lesser side.

QPR under Warburton actually quite a strong footballing side albeit less talented players than Bournemouth of course. Decent in possession though.

In theory an opportunity to exert a bit more control for sure.

Thought was decent tonight, Hunt going off didn't help. We weren't worth a win but a point, yeah could have seen it as justified.

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Obviously not the result, but I liked the way we set up, the progressive way the players interacted and the fluid formation. Definitely things to build on there.

The two goals we conceded were awful. But at least we also attacked.

11 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Was impressed but disappointed with the change. Massengo on and Nagy into the holding role would have made more sense to me

I'm hoping that with not much to play for now (I know we need a couple of wins to ensure safety but can't see that being an issue) that Massengo will be given a run in the side to show what he can do, it would be a great help for him next season when he could be a key player for us. I don't see the point in playing loan players now, Lansbury would get better with games but what's the point, he'll be gone in a few weeks? Also Towler's shown enough to get more minutes, he's raw but has the talent to progress, at the expense of Sess if necessary unless we're thinking of keeping him.

Pearson would have learnt a lot last night. He's had little time to get to know everyone, strengths and weaknesses. He may well do things differently if he had the choice over again .
Taylor Moore to RB? Straight swap.
Towler to LB Sess over to RB.
Drop Nagy into DMF and HNM on, Vyner to RB.
Saturday will tell. Supposing Hunt doesn't make it , I think the adjustment will be a comment on what he thinks worked or not. 
That said, Hunt doesn't seem the sort to miss games if he can help it.

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Pearson would have learnt a lot last night. He's had little time to get to know everyone, strengths and weaknesses. He may well do things differently if he had the choice over again .
Taylor Moore to RB? Straight swap.
Towler to LB Sess over to RB.
Drop Nagy into DMF and HNM on, Vyner to RB.
Saturday will tell. Supposing Hunt doesn't make it , I think the adjustment will be a comment on what he thinks worked or not. 
That said, Hunt doesn't seem the sort to miss games if he can help it.

I do think it's a case of being able to see how different players react, and play in a competitive game rather than a friendly "in house" match.

Pearson strikes me as a manager who likes to see everybody he has at his disposal, and be able to see how they react in normal game time. Some players don't show up in training, but switch it on when it matters, and others can show world beating qualities in training, but go missing during 90 minutes. You can't judge everyone on how they train, especially if you are still getting to know your squad - don't forget we're still only just over a week into the Nigel Pearson era.

It may well be that some players come on as a necessity due to injuries, or bookings, whereas they wouldn't normally be his "first choice go to option". It wouldn't surprise me if we saw some players, such as Lansbury, come on, or play a couple of games and then if NP thinks they aren't what he looks for in a player - they won't get used unless there is a need for them again.

He's not the sort of manager who will throw you under the bus (LJ and Hörður immediately come to mind), so maybe a bit of public encouragement is what is needed instead, and then a quiet word in private.

Providing NP stays on longer (fingers crossed), then I think we'll see a large chunk of this squad moved on, and new players to fit with the Pearson setup for next season. Until then however, expect to see a few fleeting appearances from certain players when the need arises. Lansbury could be one, Watkins (if fit again) could be another. Players not immediately within the first choice 11 of most people, but players that could react differently in a different setup under a new man.

Archived