IGNORED

Play-offs gone?

SecretSam

Realistically we won't make the play offs, I thought that before last night too.

I don't think we're worried about going down either.

Hopefully Pearson can implement his system with the freedom needed, and lack of pressure, to prepare our entire squad for a strong campaign next season. Here's hoping he stays.

It sounds a cliche but think we just need to play and focus on good performances, getting the right system for next season and see where we get to. 

I think the pressure is off in a way and it might be we string a few wins together and find we're doing better than we hoped. But I reckon it's better to focus on performances and getting the right team for the future rather than measure the gap between us and the play-offs every week. 

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It sounds a cliche but think we just need to play and focus on good performances, getting the right system for next season and see where we get to. 

I think the pressure is off in a way and it might be we string a few wins together and find we're doing better than we hoped. But I reckon it's better to focus on performances and getting the right team for the future rather than measure the gap between us and the play-offs every week. 

I agree LB. After what we’ve been though this season it is important to finish the season on a high and with some positive momentum going into the summer break. This will also give us the strongest case for keeping Nigel Pearson beyond the end of the season.

Playoffs gone? For me they were never here. Yes we had an amazing start in September, and November was also good for us but even during this time we were never totally convincing. For me we never looked like a team likely to be promoted. 

The last three games have been much better, we look like we are playing as a team rather than individuals. Too late for a push this season maybe, infact I think it would be better if we just healed a bit and seriously went for it next season. 

This was a bad gameweek on the play-off front with Barnsley, Reading and Bournemouth all winning and realistically I don't think any sane person could think we have the players available to go on the kind of crazy winning streak that is now required. People point to Villa but look at the players they had in those match day squads.

Improve on last season is still in play.

Realistically I'm not sure we were ever Playoff contenders , from the moment they appointed Holden it never felt like a challenging team. I liked Holden, but to get the turn around with the same players needed a new (experienced) face to come in IMHO.

With everything that's happened, Pearson would have to be a member of the magic circle to turn things around with no real time between games to get his ideas over. That said, if luck really swings our way, if we can get some player back fit and if during the next month we can get & stay within 6-9 points of 6th, who knows. I don't think we can make it, but it would be great to be going into the last couple of weeks still being in with a chance. 
It's the Championship and , as we are told , anyone can beat anyone. 10 points off 6th with 36 to play for? Highly unlikely, but we should be looking to get as close as possible, a good finish could affect a lot of things in the summer.

Never say Never.

History shows a club comes from nowhere with a string of wins to make the play offs.

We lost 7 on the trot who's to say we wont win 7

Realistically i don't think i'll be booking a seat at Wembley for the end of May but keep going out to win every game and finish as high as possible.

Didn't GJ go on a run at the end of his first season in League 1 and only narrowly miss the play offs.

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

So, do we accept the play-offs are gone, that we need to focus on grabbing enough points for mid-table and maybe try some of the young 'uns?

Anyone who thought the play-offs was on after two victories hasn’t been paying close enough attention. Threadbare squad, too many deficiencies. Full squad for the whole season - possibly a different matter

In the long run it wouldn't be that great to get promoted this season..

No crowds, not Pearson's team, we don't really deserve it, we'd no doubt have a terrible season if we went up too early.

Better off building over the next couple of seasons - let Pearson make it 'his' team and give it a good go in 21/22 or 22/23.

16 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Never say Never.

History shows a club comes from nowhere with a string of wins to make the play offs.

Realistically i don't think i'll be booking a seat at Wembley for the end of May but keep going out to win every game and finish as high as possible.

Didn't GJ go on a run at the end of his first season in League 1 and only narrowly miss the play offs.

I'm not a football analyst but I'm pretty sure it's easier to lose 7 than it is to win 7!

15 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Never say Never.

True enough. In Joe Jordan's first season as manager, we were that club. It's unlikely though and I'd much rather be there watching us storm the division!

Just now, Kingswood Robin said:

True enough. In Joe Jordan's first season as manager, we were that club. It's unlikely though and I'd much rather be there watching us storm the division!

You've got to account for factors such as our squad being ravaged by injury and having no option to rotate players and no choice but to put kids on the bench. 

Looks highly unlikely after the defeat last night. Had we won that, we'd have been in with an outside chance.

Looking at the March fixtures, though, I'd like to think we could win at least 3 of the next 4 games based on the good things we've seen in the last 3 games. 

1 hour ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Would have been ok to still have the carrot to chase for a bit longer as this might improve performances

Last night was kind of a six pointer and I would say chances are gone now 

All about next season - give BN a contract 

BN?

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

So, do we accept the play-offs are gone, that we need to focus on grabbing enough points for mid-table and maybe try some of the young 'uns?

I never thought we would get to the playoffs. Big Nige can get the squad sorted and see what they are made of . Get us ready for next season hopefully with him as Manager.

Archived