IGNORED

Coventry going home

Lrrr

• The title was changed to Coventry City in talks for long term return to the Ricoh Arena

https://t.co/H2kpIkg033?amp=1

Coventry moved out of the Ricoh Arena for second time in 2019 and have played at Birmingham's St Andrew's stadium since; club were original tenants at the Ricoh but the ground was sold to rugby union side Wasps in 2014

Thursday 4 March 2021 10:53, UK

Coventry at the Ricoh Arena (PA)
  •  

•  

•  

•  

Coventry City are set to return to the Ricoh Arena next season after the club reached an agreement on a 10-year deal to move back to their old stadium.

Terms have been agreed between the club's owners SISU and rugby union side Wasps, who own the stadium, after more than a year of talks.

The English Football League board is set to approve Coventry's return on Thursday before the deal is officially signed and announced on Friday.

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

Home to most Coventry fans is Highfield Rd

Enjoyed going there. Was there for a 3-2 defeat about 78, but the best one was "that game" . Most away fanes I've ever seen at a League ground.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I once sat next to Peter Ndlovu at Highfield Rd.  Cov v Spurs 1990 Rumbelows Cup.  Pat Van den Hauwe was with Mandy Smith in the players bar afterwards.

It's like an episode of "Lifestyles of the rich and the famous" . The people you mix with Dave ?

Once went there to see Cov v Luton with a mate with the tickets being comps courtesy of a youth player who was a friend of the family. His name was Dave Smith, a left winger (no not that one) who went onto play quite a few times for them. I seem to remember David Speedie once scoring a hat trick of almost identical headers from his crosses in one game.

Great news. Really good stadium for an away trip ( if away fans are allowed next season). Massive free car park next to the stadium ( providing you spend £50 in the shopping centre / Tesco and keep your receipt).

will defo have that one pencilled in.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I once sat next to Peter Ndlovu at Highfield Rd.  Cov v Spurs 1990 Rumbelows Cup.  Pat Van den Hauwe was with Mandy Smith in the players bar afterwards.

Think you were with the better looking of the two.

I used to for a company near Nuneaton so when at head office I would often pop down to Highfield Rd and take in a midweek game. Anyone remember the SkyBlue pub open on matchdays. Last game I saw was against Wombledon.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Enjoyed going there. Was there for a 3-2 defeat about 78, but the best one was "that game" . Most away fanes I've ever seen at a League ground.

It's like an episode of "Lifestyles of the rich and the famous" . The people you mix with Dave ?

Gazza in the bar too, but he didn’t play.  Lineker was given the night off from even being sent to Coventry!!

But the biggest star there that night was Keith Waugh, who had a short stint at Cov.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Gazza in the bar too, but he didn’t play.  Lineker was given the night off from even being sent to Coventry!!

But the biggest star there that night was Keith Waugh, who had a short stint at Cov.

Last time I met Keith Waugh was in the gents bog at Nailsea Utd (The Grove).

24 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Last time I met Keith Waugh was in the gents bog at Nailsea Utd (The Grove).

Quite a comical guy.

One of the players asked him if he’d seen the film “Rita, Sue and Bob Too”.....his reply was “nah, I haven’t seen the first one yet”!!! ?

Surprised they've gone back for 10 years as I thought they were looking at building another ground.  Fair to say the original move to the Rioch ruined that club. 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Mandy Smith is my mates cousin - a right sort she was (or is, not seen her for decades), hell of a life.

I was at Highfield Rd for THAT game.......so different then, no advance ticket, no website to advise on routes, pubs,....on the morning we just decided to go, no idea of route but just followed the thousands of red and white decked cars. Arrived 5.30 huge queues at the turnstiles - inside as already posted the most City fans I've ever seen in 50 years at an away league game. 16 K without a doubt. Fantastic night. Never to be forgotten or equalled.

What a time to be alive!

45 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I was at Highfield Rd for THAT game.......so different then, no advance ticket, no website to advise on routes, pubs,....on the morning we just decided to go, no idea of route but just followed the thousands of red and white decked cars. Arrived 5.30 huge queues at the turnstiles - inside as already posted the most City fans I've ever seen in 50 years at an away league game. 16 K without a doubt. Fantastic night. Never to be forgotten or equalled.

What a time to be alive!

Big problem was they held the trains back so all left same.

Chaos when we got there near kick of time and big crush trying to get in

Archived