IGNORED

Bentley, room for improvement.

Rich

I'm not one for slagging off a player who's been a stalwart of this team for quite a while now, so I waited for the dust to settle, to ask the question, can Bentley improve on what he does.

He's 28 this year and considered to be one of the best keepers in this division, by a lot of our fanbase anyway. He's an excellent shot stopper and good coming out in the one on ones. His handling is generally good, though he does spill a few into dangerous areas. His positional awareness is also good, which helps pulling off the saves he does. His footwork is good with and without the ball and his distribution is usually very good, so that's most of the good points covered, if I've missed any then apologies for that.

Now onto the points of where he can improve and needs to, in my opinion and it's basically just down to dominance of the area. I can't recall ever seeing our defence look so jittery as it has in recent times, not just this season, so the question is, why? I believe apart from the obvious when teams are running at the defence at will, it's down to organisation of that defence and knowing that there's someone there that will take command of the situation. This is where I believe there's room for improvement. I have seen numerous occasions where the keeper should have come to punch or collect a cross and take the pressure off defenders, instead of standing back and letting a cross zip across goal. I realise it's not possible for every cross, as some are too fast to react to but, being tall, athletic and quite nimble it's reasonable to expect that now and again, he'd come and collect a cross, or punch it clear, given those attributes. I don't think that every ball within the six yard area should be classed as the keepers ball but, the majority, yes, it's meat and drink for many competent keepers, sadly not yet for Bentley. Which leads me to their 2nd goal yesterday, it was a cross I thought he should have dealt with.

As I said, he's only 28, so there's time for him to improve on his already good ability and start dominating his area more than at present. Then he really would be a quality keeper.

In O'leary, we have a similar keeper that likes to stay rooted to his line.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The only thing I’d criticise him for this season is on occasion he lets his defence get on top of him.  He has improved this though.

Agreed, he should be the dominant force in that area of the pitch.

I think he is a superb keeper, but like many modern keepers, the desire to parry rather than catch always looks a weakness, but I am not a goalkeeping coach, so maybe due to the ball they use now or other reasons that is the preferred method, but always seems to be waiting for disaster to happen.

Good post - i asked recently how much is he worth as i was debating with a few friends who said he was 10m easily, i don’t personally think you would get 10m for the points raised. He’s a very good keeper and im glad we have him but definitely areas to improve on

I understand this is a forum for debate, but I find any criticism of DB hard to stomach. You won’t find many a keeper who has single handedly earned more points (or at least stopped an embarrassment) than Bents for us. 

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

WHAT??? Have we run out of people to question?

What's wrong with Ashton or is this boring now?

For the record- Bentley is pretty much the sole reason we aren't in the R zone. No one's perfect or infallible but, jeez, I'm so glad he's in our shirt.

I despair.

If you called a plumber into your house to fix 6 little jobs, and he did 5 perfectly well, but on the sixth he flooded your house and drowned your dog, would you then say he was a fantastic plumber ? No you would say he was competent but needs to concentrate more. That's the point of this thread.

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

For the record- Bentley is pretty much the sole reason we aren't in the R zone. No one's perfect or infallible but, jeez, I'm so glad he's in our shirt.

I despair.

So what if we we’ve reached the end of the list of players to critique, and Bents is the last on the list.  Nobody is arguing that he’s not having a fine season, but the OP is asking whether there is room for improvement.  The fact that people are replying means it’s worth discussing.

What are you...the OTIB new post forum police! ?

Every player at City has strong and not so strong parts of their game.

I don't see this thread is denigrating to Bentley. More a case of how he could improve even more or , looking at it from a different angle, areas for the coaches to work on.

But never forget, anyone who posts, that every mistake by a keeper is magnified by the goal against that usually is the result.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So what if we we’ve reached the end of the list of players to critique, and Bents is the last on the list.  Nobody is arguing that he’s not having a fine season, but the OP is asking whether there is room for improvement.  The fact that people are replying means it’s worth discussing.

What are you...the OTIB new post forum police! ?

Yep. Just watch your step- I'm very disappointed in your lack of complex posts and your new ability to mix at our lower levels.

I no longer know "what we can expect".

15 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

If you called a plumber into your house to fix 6 little jobs, and he did 5 perfectly well, but on the sixth he flooded your house and drowned your dog, would you then say he was a fantastic plumber ? No you would say he was competent but needs to concentrate more. That's the point of this thread.

Alternatively, if he fixed 25 major jobs and then made one mistake that wasn’t necessarily a disaster, you’d probably just feel that he had a bad moment, as we all do sometimes,

I think the issue with his commanding of the area with crosses is unfortunately down to the fact the defence has not been consistent. Last year we had Williams, Baker both very dominant aerially and probably told Bentley that they would take responsibility, could probably put Kalas (Mawson this season) in with them too. Then this season it’s been two younger probably not so confident with commanding these areas with Moore, Vyner and Marriappa being new, throw in the injuries that have caused these inconsistencies too. If he had a constant  pairing that were all used to each other’s roles, strengths and weaknesses then his dominance would improve too. He has been a massive influence on results this season and fingers crossed will continue in this way for as long as we can keep him.

12 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yep. Just watch your step- I'm very disappointed in your lack of complex posts and your new ability to mix at our lower levels.

I no longer know "what we can expect".

My ghostwriter got a job! ?

25 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I despair.

What I'm saying is that, if Bentley were more dominant in his area, would he then need to make all those saves. It's often said that good keepers make the job look easy, that's probably because they are proactive, rather than reactive. I'd say it's easier to catch a cross, than save a header or shot at close range, from that cross.

It's all a matter of opinions, I'd prefer if he was more dominant in his area, than reactive to shots on goal. Years ago, we had the choice of Cashley or John Shaw, Cashley was Brilliant at saving shots but, Shaw never needed to. Similar thing with Ray Clemence and Peter Shilton, Shilton was by far the better shot stopper but, Clemence was more organised and concentrated for the whole game.

Of course, if he was more dominant, to add to his already great attributes, would he be playing for us?

7 minutes ago, Banned User said:

All keepers parry rather than catch these days. I'm sure the hundreds of coaches instructing them know a bit more than us.

I can’t get my head around how a parry could ever be better than catching a ball 

Archived