IGNORED

Marlee - a natural winger?

Hampshire Red

Firstly, congratulations to another young hopeful signing up for our beloved club.

Secondly, a question of how much we have really missed an out and out winger this season? We know CoD and Pato can play there, we know Semenyo can be dangerous cutting in but it seems a while since we had someone hugging the touchlines, a la Dave Smith, Scott Murray, Junior Bent, Albert Adomah etc. Ok, those examples arent many people's favourites but do we know if NP likes an out and out winger?

Thirdly, its been a few years since i used to watch academy games before the Main Event at BS3 so these names mean nothing to me. Has anyone been watching Marlee in his 2 years with us?

It looked like DH recruited last summer for 5-3-2 and when he needed to switch it up the personnel was limited.

Eliasson being the obvious miss, but I wonder if he wanted gone as much as we may have decided he was surplus to requirements.

Yeah I feel we have missed wingers times. We set up to play that 5-3-2 at the start of the season and it felt we didn't have the... 'clubs in the bag'.. to really play with wingers. COD & Semenyo the only real options we have. Pato better inside for me and not convinced Adelakun is the answer. Obviously injuries to COD & Adelakun have limited our options to play with more traditional wingers anyway. 

Love seeing Semenyo go at people and would welcome an addition this summer so we have another player who can do similar and get us on the edge of our seats a bit, just for entertainment as much as anything.

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

It looked like DH recruited last summer for 5-3-2 and when he needed to switch it up the personnel was limited.

Eliasson being the obvious miss, but I wonder if he wanted gone as much as we may have decided he was surplus to requirements.

Pretty much accepted we sold Eliasson because he wasn't going to sign a new contract so got what we could for him, there was probably hope Diedhiou would sign a new contract as to why he wasn't sold last summer or that would couldn't get what we deemed a good fee.

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Pretty much accepted we sold Eliasson because he wasn't going to sign a new contract so got what we could for him, there was probably hope Diedhiou would sign a new contract as to why he wasn't sold last summer or that would couldn't get what we deemed a good fee.

He was treated badly by Johnson - was clearly our best and most exciting player but was not allowed to develop by being dropped, subbed and used as a bit part player - what a waste.

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Yeah absolutely - but as always we don’t know what offer we gave Eliasson - if Holden thought he wouldn’t be playing him, we probably didn’t push the boat out with the offer. 

The club have stated publicly Fam has had pretty much the best the club can offer, so if he goes, so be it. Hands are tied there.

4 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

He was treated badly by Johnson - was clearly our best and most exciting player but was not allowed to develop by being dropped, subbed and used as a bit part player - what a waste.

I'm not so sure about that - he made 84 appearances for us over 3 seasons. 

For me he had plenty of chances and despite his ability to win games for us, he was still developing his all round game, especially his defensive duties - which is probably why he remained a bit of a luxury player, hence in and out the starting 11.

35 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Firstly, congratulations to another young hopeful signing up for our beloved club.

Secondly, a question of how much we have really missed an out and out winger this season? We know CoD and Pato can play there, we know Semenyo can be dangerous cutting in but it seems a while since we had someone hugging the touchlines, a la Dave Smith, Scott Murray, Junior Bent, Albert Adomah etc. Ok, those examples arent many people's favourites but do we know if NP likes an out and out winger?

Thirdly, its been a few years since i used to watch academy games before the Main Event at BS3 so these names mean nothing to me. Has anyone been watching Marlee in his 2 years with us?

CoD, Pato & Semenyo couldn't beat their own appendages let alone any full back. Even if they could their delivery (I'll not limit to crosses as they're signally unable to complete those,) is woeful. None are worthy Brylcreem Skirton's barnet.

Of the rest of that list the only genuine wingers are Adomah & Smith (amazed his name crops up without mention of his equally excellent partner in tandem 'Marco Van Gavin' - now those were exciting seasons raiding both wings.) Oh for the likes of Walshy and his shuffle....

56 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I'm not so sure about that - he made 84 appearances for us over 3 seasons. 

For me he had plenty of chances and despite his ability to win games for us, he was still developing his all round game, especially his defensive duties - which is probably why he remained a bit of a luxury player, hence in and out the starting 11.

For all his skill, sweet left foot and assists, his all-round contribution was lacking imho.  His contribution to wins and losses was no different to any other player.

There is an argument that at least he was exciting, which is true.  But I often felt frustrated that for all the oohs and aahs from his crosses, we became one dimensional with him on the pitch, and if he was getting no joy, we suddenly had no other way of playing.

Ultimately the contract situation forced the issue, and at least we got £2.25m for him.

But you wonder whether there was scope / desire to improve his all-round game?  

Nic was a pretty limited footballer. Yes he had a step over in him and moved it on his left for a cross, but you need more than that at this level. He didn’t score enough and his all round game just wasn’t quite good enough imo.

Was the right move to let him go.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For all his skill, sweet left foot and assists, his all-round contribution was lacking imho.  His contribution to wins and losses was no different to any other player.

There is an argument that at least he was exciting, which is true.  But I often felt frustrated that for all the oohs and aahs from his crosses, we became one dimensional with him on the pitch, and if he was getting no joy, we suddenly had no other way of playing.

Ultimately the contract situation forced the issue, and at least we got £2.25m for him.

But you wonder whether there was scope / desire to improve his all-round game?  

This.

But you’ve made your point much better than me!

Just now, Lew-T said:

Nic was a pretty limited footballer. Yes he had a step over in him and moved it on his left for a cross, but you need more than that at this level. He didn’t score enough and his all round game just wasn’t quite good enough imo.

Not a necessary requirement given the amount he assisted in his last season, if he had stayed here and contributed that many assists again then goal scoring would be overlooked

4 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I agree with the first half he was a talent but not the second, he played 37 games for us last season.

At Nimes this season he has played 20 games and been subbed in most, so I guess there is an argument that maybe Johnson was right but Nimes situation is very different to ours as well. 

14 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

CoD, Pato & Semenyo couldn't beat their own appendages let alone any full back. Even if they could their delivery (I'll not limit to crosses as they're signally unable to complete those,) is woeful. None are worthy Brylcreem Skirton's barnet.

Now there’s a blast from the past.

A West Country boy, who first starred for Arsenal, I remember him as a fast, strong winger who destroyed City one year whilst playing for Blackpool.

7 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Now there’s a blast from the past.

A West Country boy, who first starred for Arsenal, I remember him as a fast, strong winger who destroyed City one year whilst playing for Blackpool.

Forget his silky skills for, as Warren Devon sang,"...his hair was perfect...."

He didn't get the career breaks he deserved as was the fashion at the time sides tended to play no more than a single winger and more often were begining to adopt the 'wing-back' midfielder of which Arsenal had a few good 'uns, including Tommy Doc.

21 hours ago, Lew-T said:

This.

But you’ve made your point much better than me!

Same as COD then? Nic offered a lot more 

4 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Same as COD then? Nic offered a lot more 

Different players. COD is fortunate as he has that burst of pace in him to get away from tight situations. He’s also better defensively than Niclas.

Archived