IGNORED

Atyeo Stand

alexukhc

Pretty sure it wasn't ready for the first fixture of the 94 season - a 0-0 draw v Sunderland as I had a ST for Atyeo and had to sit in the Dolman. 

.. so it would have been next game v Port Vale on 27th August 1994

Annoyingly the PV game isn't included on here, but you can see its closed v Sunderland and Open v Notts County which was third home game that season. 

I remember walking into the Williams for the first time at the start of the season when it was opened, looking at the (then) new stand and thinking “wow, that’s amazing” and how much it improved the ground.  It shows you how far we have come and how much we forget how poor the facilities were back then that people are now complaining about it.  Away fans still generally seem to think it’s pretty good and I can’t see there’s any rush to replace it.

I remember the Port Vale game (0-0) because it was the first game that my youngest brother ever went to. He has no interest in football now which may be connected.

We sat in the East End that day and shared the stand with the handful of away fans.

The new stand must have gone up pretty quickly seeing as the terrace was still in use in the second half of the previous season? Definitely was for the Charlton cup game anyway.

Compared to what was there before, it's on another planet. Compared to the new bits...out of date.

I think the biggest achievement was the change to the Dolman - I've not been in it since it was re-done, what's the opinion of Dolman users? If nothing else, access has improved!!

43 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Now you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the Atyeo under construction. Despite seeing plenty of every other stand knocking about.

I was working for the club when it was being built and took many photographs. The club then asked for items for the museum, which they were going to start, so I sent in the pictures. Not heard a thing since. Whether there is a museum and what's happened to all the submitted items, I don't know.

22 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I think the biggest achievement was the change to the Dolman - I've not been in it since it was re-done, what's the opinion of Dolman users? If nothing else, access has improved!!

Get two pints at half time and you can miss all the second half. It’s much better than it was. 

24 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Compared to what was there before, it's on another planet. Compared to the new bits...out of date.

Access might have improved, but exiting hasn't!

The PA system wasn't upgraded, the hand dryers are set to 'Arctic Blast' and the smoking area is too small*.

*Well, not too small but the fact despite mentioning it countless times, the club still allow kids out there and for a health conscious sports club, I think that's poor, if you have made a stupid adult decision to smoke, that's one thing, but don't force your kids to breathe all that shite in.

27 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Personally I’m comfortable with it as it is.

It houses the away fans & they only get to use it once a season, so I think concentrating on the refurbishment of the other 3 sides of the ground, which are just light years better than what was there before, makes perfect sense.

Think the proximity of the houses on Ashton Rd, which now go for incredible amounts, limits what can ever be done anyway.

I am absolutely adamant that whilst it wasn’t officially open, a number of us (myself included) were allowed in for season opener, a0-0 draw with Sunderland.

I remember there was still dust everywhere and a number of seats/blocks still taped off.

11 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I am absolutely adamant that whilst it wasn’t officially open, a number of us (myself included) were allowed in for season opener, a0-0 draw with Sunderland.

I remember there was still dust everywhere and a number of seats/blocks still taped off.

You're absolutely not. This is adamant.

adam1.jpg

24 minutes ago, 054123 said:

We were allowed in for the open day before the start of the season, remember the then chairman (David Russe- premier league in 5 years) was holding court answering questions from fans 

I honestly think it could be turned into the new East End (Park End?) and the atmosphere would improve significantly (once we can get back in of course).

No wonder we’re now considered such a good away day; outsing the home fans, get a stand all to yourself and come away with three points!

1 hour ago, Desso said:

I was working for the club when it was being built and took many photographs. The club then asked for items for the museum, which they were going to start, so I sent in the pictures. Not heard a thing since. Whether there is a museum and what's happened to all the submitted items, I don't know.

Would love to see them if you ever get a chance one day ?.

3 hours ago, TomF said:

Annoyingly the PV game isn't included on here, but you can see its closed v Sunderland and Open v Notts County which was third home game that season. 

That home game against Stoke remember it well

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Had we pushed back the South stand, we could have lengthened the pitch and that would have enabled us to shorten it from the other end to enlarge the Atyeo stand.  In reality though, not a lot can change until Steve has finished butying up all of the houses in Ashton Road ?

Is there any confirmation/proof the club are purchasing these houses? It would make total sense if they did. Did the club not own them many moons ago?

1 hour ago, Newquay-Red said:

I honestly think it could be turned into the new East End (Park End?) and the atmosphere would improve significantly (once we can get back in of course).

No wonder we’re now considered such a good away day; outsing the home fans, get a stand all to yourself and come away with three points!

I think those days are long gone. Football has changed too much to recreate an authentic 70s/80s vibe and atmosphere.

As for using the Atyeo for an atmosphere generating stand, it was a home stand for many years and never really created anything if note. Granted, the band didn't help, but each to their own.

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Had we pushed back the South stand, we could have lengthened the pitch and that would have enabled us to shorten it from the other end to enlarge the Atyeo stand.  In reality though, not a lot can change until Steve has finished butying up all of the houses in Ashton Road ?

5 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Is there any confirmation/proof the club are purchasing these houses? It would make total sense if they did. Did the club not own them many moons ago?

Knowing our luck the houses behind the Atyeo will be owned by Ashton Vale dog walkers.

Archived