IGNORED

Atyeo Stand

alexukhc

11 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Now you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the Atyeo under construction. Despite seeing plenty of every other stand knocking about.

Here are some I found in the “AG - the first 100 years” book published about 16 years ago. 

F2AB6404-E6E3-46AE-B511-9AF68293D8B5.jpeg

FEBB6073-7007-4722-B77F-8A575A546BF2.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

On a side note looking at the photos from the Sunderland game it's odd that they have player names on the back of their shirts but City don't!

I think it started when they played in the FA cup final v Liverpool and just carried it on

12 hours ago, Cardy said:

The best I can think of is a lower level rebuild to match the rest of the stadium & then put rail seats in there.

Put rail seats across the whole stand, segregation in the middle, half home half away fans = cracking atmosphere and increased capacity. 

It’s always been the away end in my mind. Even when it was the home end it never was as good as the East End. Glad we moved back over as part of the refurb. 

9 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just wondering how long after names started appearing did players get allocated a squad number.

According to Wiki squad numbers/names were optional from 1993 (but with a very small take-up by clubs) and compulsory from 1999.

It`s a marketing no-brainer so I`m surprised only ten FL clubs chose to do it before they had to. Imagine how many Bob Taylor or Jacki shirts we would have sold.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@phantom

The acoustics in Atyeo have never been particularly great though. Clearly with away fans a lot of whom tend to stand, it'll make a difference but I don't know how well sound will travel from it in general.

Completely disagree. I have heard 500 fans from Barnsley make more noise in the Atyeo than all the City fans in the rest of the ground.  Fans that blame acoustics should really look at their own support first. 

3 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

Completely disagree. I have heard 500 fans from Barnsley make more noise in the Atyeo than all the City fans in the rest of the ground.  Fans that blame acoustics should really look at their own support first. 

I've an open mind on it.

Away fans these days have a lot more licence to stand than home. Away fans tend per capita to be noisier than home in all seater stadia in the UK.

Standing fans usually are noisier than sitting fans, singing etc more prevalent.

Certainly when I first remember acoustic debates on here, it was Atyeo v (modern) East End. No contest as to the better acoustics.

Out of interest where in the ground do you sit? Sound travelling etc, could be heard much better in Point A than Point B, but as a rule of thumb older stands tend to be better acoustically than modern ones in this country. Unsure why.

On 06/03/2021 at 10:41, Lanterne Rouge said:

It was very much a transitional thing back then, some teams did it and others didn`t. I don`t think there were any hard and fast rules.

I remember Charlton used to do it alphabetically, so Stuart Balmer, a defender was number 1.  I think he may have been the first outfield player in the country to wear the number 1 shirt.

On 07/03/2021 at 19:00, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've an open mind on it.

Away fans these days have a lot more licence to stand than home. Away fans tend per capita to be noisier than home in all seater stadia in the UK.

Standing fans usually are noisier than sitting fans, singing etc more prevalent.

Certainly when I first remember acoustic debates on here, it was Atyeo v (modern) East End. No contest as to the better acoustics.

Out of interest where in the ground do you sit? Sound travelling etc, could be heard much better in Point A than Point B, but as a rule of thumb older stands tend to be better acoustically than modern ones in this country. Unsure why.

One of the best atmospheres at the Gate that I can recall was in H-Block in it's heyday.  We drew 0-0 with Stockport (I think) and we didn't stop singing the whole way through after about 20 mins and everyone realised that that was the only enjoyment to be obtained that match!  The atmosphere spread to the rest of the stand and then the ground.  This was before they reopened the East End to home fans, and so the singers tended to be down our end.

• Admin
On 07/03/2021 at 19:00, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've an open mind on it.

Those that were about in working hard to get the EE reopened etc will tell you much of the problem is that everyone is cramped in together nowadays, it worked when people were more spread out

The Yellow subbers were a relatively small group in the ground but more often than not generated as much noise as the rest of the ground

On 05/03/2021 at 17:46, pongo88 said:

Due to the height restrictions, if the existing stand was knocked down and a new one build, the new one would look very similar to the old one. It might look a bit more joined up in the Dolman corner, but could  never justify the expense 

At a Senior Reds lunch a couple of years ago SL was asked about buying the houses and building a new bigger stand. He said that he’d considered it in the early days of planning the ground redevelopment to create a 35k capacity. He decided against it on cost & profitability grounds. In the Championship City wouldn’t sell 35k tickets and in the Premier League it’s TV money that generates the most  income not ticket sales

What about in League One?

Archived