IGNORED

Atyeo Stand

alexukhc

16 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Is there any confirmation/proof the club are purchasing these houses? It would make total sense if they did. Did the club not own them many moons ago?

No, the club have never owned them. They used to put apprentices in a lodging house in the 60's/70's, ( Danny Bartley/Johnny Giles etc) but have never owned properties other than the Robins Cafe which was used for match day stewards. No evidence that they are currently trying to purchase as several have come onto the market in the last couple of years and have been bought by families.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Newquay-Red said:

I honestly think it could be turned into the new East End (Park End?) and the atmosphere would improve significantly (once we can get back in of course).

No wonder we’re now considered such a good away day; outsing the home fans, get a stand all to yourself and come away with three points!

But for years our supporters said it was impossible to get an atmosphere out of that end

What has changed?

23 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Is there any confirmation/proof the club are purchasing these houses? It would make total sense if they did. Did the club not own them many moons ago?

It's one of those stories that everyone knows someone who says it is true but in truth nobody actually does, there is also no proof that any business of person has been buying multiple properties along this road

28 minutes ago, Ashtonboy said:

No, the club have never owned them. They used to put apprentices in a lodging house in the 60's/70's, ( Danny Bartley/Johnny Giles etc) but have never owned properties other than the Robins Cafe which was used for match day stewards. No evidence that they are currently trying to purchase as several have come onto the market in the last couple of years and have been bought by families.

I'm sure I read in one of the books penned by David Woods that the club did own houses, but were forced to sell them in 82.

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm sure I read in one of the books penned by David Woods that the club did own houses, but were forced to sell them in 82.

You maybe right, but I lived a couple of doors from the cafe from '65 until late 70's and they didn't own anything to my knowledge. 

5 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Would love to see it knocked down and a new stand built. Joining the ground together. Yes there is a height restriction but it looks so out of place 

Due to the height restrictions, if the existing stand was knocked down and a new one build, the new one would look very similar to the old one. It might look a bit more joined up in the Dolman corner, but could  never justify the expense 

3 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Had we pushed back the South stand, we could have lengthened the pitch and that would have enabled us to shorten it from the other end to enlarge the Atyeo stand.  In reality though, not a lot can change until Steve has finished butying up all of the houses in Ashton Road ?

At a Senior Reds lunch a couple of years ago SL was asked about buying the houses and building a new bigger stand. He said that he’d considered it in the early days of planning the ground redevelopment to create a 35k capacity. He decided against it on cost & profitability grounds. In the Championship City wouldn’t sell 35k tickets and in the Premier League it’s TV money that generates the most  income not ticket sales

5 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

We played Spurs in a pre-season friendly but the Stand wasn't open for it.  It was the same day Spurs signed Klinsmann. I don't recall another friendly for it to be opened so I presume it was the first game of the season against Sunderland.

I believe you are correct.

Before the game, a good number of former City players were introduced to the crowd. Pre match in the Supporters Club, all of them were having a pre game drink and chatting to fans.

The only non City player was a very good friend of Atyeo, Geoff Bradford of the Gas.

I said hello to him, welcomed him to Ashton Gate and opened conversation with " You were, weren't you". His reply with a big smile, was "The ref and linesman did not agree with you. Look at the record books and you'll see that it was 3-4 and not 3-3".

It's a bit like Geoff Hurst's goal in 1966 world cup. I and many City fans believe he was a yard offside when he scored the winning goal in a 3-4 5th round FA Cup tie. A cracker of a game for 39,126 fans.

6 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Would love to see it knocked down and a new stand built. Joining the ground together. Yes there is a height restriction but it looks so out of place 

I always thought when they knocked down the old East end it would have been an ideal time to move the whole ground further away from the houses, we then may have been able to build a stand similar to the new South stand where the Atyeo is now.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

But for years our supporters said it was impossible to get an atmosphere out of that end

What has changed?

From what I remember, from the point the Atyeo was opened there was an increasing number of season tickets holders in there. Whereas in the EE the fans who were like-minded in that they wanted to sing/make a noise were congregated in that section behind the goal, in the Atyeo they were diluted by fans who were sitting in that section who were quieter. My dad, for example, had a season ticket for the upper part of the Atyeo right behind the goal but he had always been fairly quiet during games. Consequently there wasn’t the same ‘mob’ mentality as the EE. Then other groups of fans, like those in ‘H block’, tried to make a noise but they were quite a small number and physically separated from those behind the goal. 

2 hours ago, Redpool said:

Well Rightmove are currently showing two of the houses up for sale at £489k & £495k. If monopoly house buying is part of the plan city better get offers in.

1 hour ago, Ashtonboy said:

You maybe right, but I lived a couple of doors from the cafe from '65 until late 70's and they didn't own anything to my knowledge. 

Just to be clear, the location of the houses the club owned wasn't in the book, they were just houses that could have been anywhere.

45 minutes ago, pillred said:

I always thought when they knocked down the old East end it would have been an ideal time to move the whole ground further away from the houses, we then may have been able to build a stand similar to the new South stand where the Atyeo is now.

There are 10 or 12 houses at the bottom of Raynes Road which would have been affected by this. We are hemmed in. Another option would have been to turn the stadium 45 degrees but this would have cost a lot more I guess.

5 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Compared to what was there before, it's on another planet. Compared to the new bits...out of date.

I think the biggest achievement was the change to the Dolman - I've not been in it since it was re-done, what's the opinion of Dolman users? If nothing else, access has improved!!

Nothing changed in Upper Dolman. It is exactly the same as it was, except Jon Lansdown price gauged the middle three blocks by upping the differential against the wings. Oh, maybe the PA was updated, I'm not sure I remember - ask @Robbored he'll know :)

7 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Nothing changed in Upper Dolman. It is exactly the same as it was, except Jon Lansdown price gauged the middle three blocks by upping the differential against the wings. Oh, maybe the PA was updated, I'm not sure I remember - ask @Robbored he'll know :)

When we are eventually allowed to attend AG I’d be really really disappointed if the Dolman PA system has not been upgraded during the pandemic.

I can’t feel another angry rant coming on if it’s exactly as was...........

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

When we are eventually allowed to attend AG I’d be really really disappointed if the Dolman PA system has not been upgraded during the pandemic.

Let's hope so not like they've had no time, It isn't just the dolman stand the entire system is naff. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

They've had a couple of years now to make it better but they obviously aren't going to. So sorry Robbored, I fear that there will be a lot of us having a rant.

1 hour ago, Desso said:

There are 10 or 12 houses at the bottom of Raynes Road which would have been affected by this. We are hemmed in. Another option would have been to turn the stadium 45 degrees but this would have cost a lot more I guess.

That and we'd have probably had to move out for at least a year or so while they did it.

6 hours ago, 054123 said:

I am absolutely adamant that whilst it wasn’t officially open, a number of us (myself included) were allowed in for season opener, a0-0 draw with Sunderland.

I remember there was still dust everywhere and a number of seats/blocks still taped off.

That’s the game I would have said, before I saw your response. I reckon I was in there too, and the Dolman were singing “New stand, give us a song”

Just now, MrBibs said:

That’s the game I would have said, before I saw your response. I reckon I was in there too, and the Dolman were singing “New stand, give us a song”

It looks empty in highlights, but I’m sure we were in there.

I remember getting down the gate and being invited in there by some stewards. There were of us, well excited.

10 minutes ago, 054123 said:

It looks empty in highlights, but I’m sure we were in there.

I remember getting down the gate and being invited in there by some stewards. There were of us, well excited.

Hmm Maybe I was in the Dolman then, and the song was sung at the practically empty new Atyeo. My now wife was new to football at the time and thought “New stand give us a song” was funny

10 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Maybe refurbish it similar to what was done to the Williams? Then join the corner with the Williams up with a concourse, lift the screen up and if possible join the roofs up? Might look a little odd if there's a big height difference though. Not sure what could be done with the other side. 

17 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Maybe refurbish it similar to what was done to the Williams? Then join the corner with the Williams up with a concourse, lift the screen up and if possible join the roofs up? Might look a little odd if there's a big height difference though. Not sure what could be done with the other side. 

Joining the Atyeo to the Lansdown stand with a concourse is extremely difficult and pointless. It would mean demolishing the media centre at the corner of the Lansdown and relocating it elsewhere (where?). It would be pointless for football,  as home and away fans aren’t allowed to mix. It’s easier to join the Dolman and Atyeo concourses but equally pointless due to segregation. 

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

I've got this one from back in the day but it says new East end rather than the Atyeo.

No photo description available.

The arrow wording is correct. Surely this is taken from the Atyeo looking towards the East End, Dolman left, Lansdown right.

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Joining the Atyeo to the Lansdown stand with a concourse is extremely difficult and pointless. It would mean demolishing the media centre at the corner of the Lansdown and relocating it elsewhere (where?). It would be pointless for football,  as home and away fans aren’t allowed to mix. It’s easier to join the Dolman and Atyeo concourses but equally pointless due to segregation. 

Got stands mixed up! Was on about the Dolman. Could have doors/shutters as I sat in the Atyeo for the man utd game and it looked like there were just shutters closed. Just thinking of a way to enclose that corner 

Archived