IGNORED

Handball law changed (again)...

Unan

2 minutes ago, Banned User said:

.. meaning Fulham's goal v Spurs would now be legal if it was scored tonight instead of last night

Bit of a shambles to change the rules halfway through a season. You have to feel for Fulham there...

Bryan Swanson does say that IFAB will implement it in July but it's up to the competitions to decide if they bring it in before.

Either way the constant changing of rules is confusing to say the least, especially when we went through 2 seasons and a world cup of testing VAR. Could put the Premier LEague in an awkward position where they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

This has become a real farce. Defenders especially have to be so careful to avoid any sort of contact between their arms and the ball.

For me a handball offence is either when an outfield player literally picks the ball up in active play OR there is a blatant attempt to change the direction of the ball - i.e. an outfield player acting as a goalkeeper, or palming the ball away when challenging for a header. Not when one player, at close range and high pace, strikes a ball which hits an opponent on the arm.

1 hour ago, Banned User said:

.. meaning Fulham's goal v Spurs would now be legal if it was scored tonight instead of last night

Never bothered John Terry - he would regularly be defending a free kick with his arms stretched out!

55 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

That Fulham goal was ridiculous. The arm was down by his side, in a natural position. The ball was fired at him by a Spurs defender, and the Fulham player didn’t make any movement towards the ball with arm or anything else.

The law was a total ass in this case

I am not a supporter of any particular Premier side........but the Fulham/Spurs game last night made me so angry at the injustice perpetrated on Fulham.  The first incident when the Fulham player played a ball and the Spurs player handled it by raising his HAND.......NO penalty?      Second incident (almost the exact same distance) Fulham  player's arm at his side in a natural position, judged by VAR as a handball.  It is beyond absurd, ridiculous and unfair.   If Fulham get relegated by 1 point,  they should sue the Premier League!?   I know i am being extreme, but VAR is a travesty, that is slowly ruining the game i love.   Those pheckers in their underground VAR bunker should keep their stupid beaks out of decisions, unless it is an obvious mistake.   Their constant interfering in relation to every minutiae of the game is irritating,   unnecessary and time consuming................honestly, i wish they would just pheck off?   PS  I have fallen off of my soap box now....!

1 hour ago, Banned User said:

If you read the rest of the tweets you'd see that's not true. In effect from 1st July and FA have said from next season

All of it has been a joke and not helped by VAR.

The sooner they scrap VAR and make it deliberate handball rather than worrying about natural position or slowing down a replay etc the better for the game. Unfortunately they won't despite pretty much no one wanting it.

1 hour ago, Red_Alligator said:

This has become a real farce. Defenders especially have to be so careful to avoid any sort of contact between their arms and the ball.

For me a handball offence is either when an outfield player literally picks the ball up in active play OR there is a blatant attempt to change the direction of the ball - i.e. an outfield player acting as a goalkeeper, or palming the ball away when challenging for a header. Not when one player, at close range and high pace, strikes a ball which hits an opponent on the arm.

This is exactly what it should be - deliberate. 

37 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I am not a supporter of any particular Premier side........but the Fulham/Spurs game last night made me so angry at the injustice perpetrated on Fulham.  The first incident when the Fulham player played a ball and the Spurs player handled it by raising his HAND.......NO penalty?      Second incident (almost the exact same distance) Fulham  player's arm at his side in a natural position, judged by VAR as a handball.  It is beyond absurd, ridiculous and unfair.   If Fulham get relegated by 1 point,  they should sue the Premier League!?   I know i am being extreme, but VAR is a travesty, that is slowly ruining the game i love.   Those pheckers in their underground VAR bunker should keep their stupid beaks out of decisions, unless it is an obvious mistake.   Their constant interfering in relation to every minutiae of the game is irritating,   unnecessary and time consuming................honestly, i wish they would just pheck off?   PS  I have fallen off of my soap box now....!

My frustration is that at least in the past you could usually excuse a referee for an error because he had a spilt second , in real time, to make a judgement. He had only one view, often at a difficult angle or with his vision blocked by players.

VAR has the advantage of seeing an incident from multiple angles, slo motion  and with time to make a decision, but still regularly and obviously get it wrong. Especially frustrating and annoying is when something like the Fulham game occurs, where there is no consistency in decisions. 

Goalline technology is fine, because it is clear cut and requires no interpretation or human judgement applied.

With VAR however, football’s administrators have become over involved in prescriptive changes to the laws of the game. I reckon that handball was better understood and applied before the advent of VAR  and in the days when we all moaned at referees when a decision didn't go in our team’s favour. Now, VAR has managed to unite all football fans against it, and in particular the ludicrous handball farce.

IFAB now looking to change handball rule again so that accidental handball that leads to a goal is not penalised. None of this of course would be necessary if they hadn't messed around with the rule in the first place and removed the need for handball to be deliberate. When are FIFA going to learn that we gave the rules of football to the world, and its the world that ****ked it up!

As I said elsewhere these changes wouldn't be necessary had they not changed the rule in the first place removing the need for handball to be deliberate. When are FIFA going to understand that we gave the laws of football to the world, and its the world that have f**'ked it up. I suppose constant unnecessary changes to the rules allows for the possibility of more brown envelopes changing hands, because the changes must be to the benefit of somebody, right! 

19 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Doesn’t this make the offside law more awkward to understand. Before you were offside shoulder down for you can’t score with your arm.

Now you can if it’s accidental according to the change, so is any part of you now allowed to be onside.

FIFA feel the offside trials will lead to more attacking football. 

Teams will adapt to the changes. They always do. Why defend high when the proposed ruling disadvantages teams playing with high defensive lines. I would expect more teams to drop and defend from deep = It will not encourage more attacking play.

Archived