IGNORED

A year ago this weekend

ralphindevon

The last time we visited our place of worship, unless you’ve been vaccinated there.

I can remember thinking things were getting a bit serious and we might have to miss a couple matches. I was aware that maybe we shouldn’t do our usual handshakes with those in neighbouring seats, though that soon went out of the window.

As I walked out after a very enjoyable game I wouldn’t have thought in a million years that one year on we hadn’t returned and won’t for at least 5 more months.

Anyone else remember their feelings at that time?

image.jpg

30 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

The last time we visited our place of worship, unless you’ve been vaccinated there.

I can remember thinking things were getting a bit serious and we might have to miss a couple matches. I was aware that maybe we shouldn’t do our usual handshakes with those in neighbouring seats, though that soon went out of the window.

As I walked out after a very enjoyable game I wouldn’t have thought in a million years that one year on we hadn’t returned and won’t for at least 5 more months.

image.jpg

It was a reassuringly strong performance against Fulham.

Remember how we thought we'd won the lottery getting a delay long enough to get Afobe back to fitness?! Yeah.....

Yes, I remember it as if it was only a year ago this Sunday.  Last season was the first season that, getting a bit cheesed off with car parking becoming more and more tricky and costly, I did most weekend games via Parson St station, and remember the buzz on the walk down Winterstoke Road was as much about what the future of football would be like with coronavirus, as about the Fulham match.  The common theme seemed to be that we might have to miss a couple of matches then we would all be back at AG.  IIRC correctly by the next Saturday the Blackburn away game had been postponed and we all know how it panned out.

It was live on Sky so I recorded it, and in the next few months when we had no live football at all I watched some parts of the game, probably saw Nakhi's goal many times, as it was the only "live" game that was in my Virgin Media recorded shows list.  

Can't wait to get back to the Gate, but still trying to get my head round how we have had a year away from it!

I also remember that their had been some encouragement from the powers that be to be meticulous about hand washing due to the virus.  The queue for the gents after the game was quite a bit longer than usual, not sure if that was due to more thorough and lengthy hand washing/drying, or some blokes decided to wash their hands for the first time ever after using the toilet!

15 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

The queue for the gents after the game was quite a bit longer than usual, not sure if that was due to more thorough and lengthy hand washing/drying, or some blokes decided to wash their hands for the first time ever after using the toilet!

I remember being in the gents that evening and from the wash basins came the unmistakable Bristolian brogue of a rotund gentleman who was washing his hands whilst belting out at the top of his voice: "Happy birthday to you"! Made I laugh!

12 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

image.jpg

The Coronavirus thread on OTIB is quite an interesting read 

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Read the first few pages again, ah hindsight eh. 

Reading that thread makes you realise that where we once dealt in facts, opinions seem to matter more to some people. 

"The earth is round" 

"Well, that's just your opinion" 

"No, it really is round" 

"Let's agree to disagree then" 

Where do you go with some people? 

Remember having my doubts on the Thursday/Friday whether to go or not, waking up on the Saturday morning & just thinking, it’s not worth it. Think the first Covid related death in Bristol was on the Friday, maybe that tipped the balance in my mind. So had to tell Elliott we weren’t going, we were going to watch it on tv & bribed him with a McDonald’s! COYR 

17 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

image.jpg

I missed the game as I was at a competition. I think it was the point I realised it was serious and thinking I was lucky to still be in a hall of 2-3000 people. Also remember thinking it was amazing how many people didn't wash their hands when using the bathrooms considering there was extra focus at that time on doing so

4 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Yes, there’s a few posts there that didn’t age well.

To be fair I think some peoples views were posted out of fear, if they sided with the deniers all would be well. 

I must admit I’d have freaked out if you’d told me a year later we still weren’t allowed back but there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel now. This time last year I couldn’t even buy a big roll so things must be better now.

Im almost glad we didn’t get around to that farcical 2000 attendance scenario, it’d be lovely when we do get back we can all be there, not sure if that’ll be possible but I cannot wait for that day, it’ll be very emotional 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

One thing that - rightly - seems to have been forgotten (so far at least!) is those bloody awful shirts....

I had completely forgotten, had no idea what you were talking about

3 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

One thing I’d forgotten, it was our 125th anniversary celebrations. Good job they didn’t choose the following game, the celebrations were already late iirc. We’d be nearer 130 years by the time they’d got around to it.

Until this... so thanks for that memory ?‍♂️?

Archived