IGNORED

Benik Afobe update

mozo

If he was over the injury would I take a gamble on him?

If Stoke were willing to take the hit for a large chunk of his wages, then possibly. 

Part of me though (quite a big part) thinks that for the money, we could get a younger striker who hasn't had a history of knee problems. Yes OK he's been unfortunate in the respect that he's had both sides done, but what are the chances of that happening again? 

He also didn't look anything like the Benik we had before the injury when he came back. Now that could well have been that we were rushing him back before he was ready (going by this season that's probably quite likely), but it's a concern. Also if he's not getting regular game time currently, is there another reason he isn't playing, maybe another minor injury?

It's a funny one, because 4 or 5 years ago if you had said we would have the opportunity to have Wells and Afobe playing at the same time for us, most would have had you sectioned!!!

1 minute ago, Taz said:

If he was over the injury would I take a gamble on him?

If Stoke were willing to take the hit for a large chunk of his wages, then possibly. 

Part of me though (quite a big part) thinks that for the money, we could get a younger striker who hasn't had a history of knee problems. Yes OK he's been unfortunate in the respect that he's had both sides done, but what are the chances of that happening again? 

He also didn't look anything like the Benik we had before the injury when he came back. Now that could well have been that we were rushing him back before he was ready (going by this season that's probably quite likely), but it's a concern. Also if he's not getting regular game time currently, is there another reason he isn't playing, maybe another minor injury?

It's a funny one, because 4 or 5 years ago if you had said we would have the opportunity to have Wells and Afobe playing at the same time for us, most would have had you sectioned!!!

It didn`t help that he was stuck out on the wing either.

9 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It didn`t help that he was stuck out on the wing either.

Very true forgot that!!

What is it with our previous regime (including LJ in that as it started with him) that seemed intent on throwing proven goalscorers out of position just to fit them in!!

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

How can it be a no brainer when he’s had so many injuries ?

Cant keep signing players with bad injury records and just crossing our fingers 

Every athlete will pick up injuries.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but he definitely didn't look anywhere near fit when he came back but we still played him. Maybe with a more experienced Manager at the helm we will manage these situations a lot better. NP has already stated that players have to be fully fit before selection. Afobe definitely wasn't and so was, more recently, Joe Williams. Afobe fits in as a "Bristol City human" and team player and dovetails nicely with players like Palmer. 

Continually signing injury prone players? Well, maybe the lack of experience at head coach level in recent years hasn't helped and the constant chopping and changing of the team has much more to do with the injury set backs than simply being "injury prone". Certainly COD, Walsh, Williams and Pato have suffered with that. Dasilva was playing with fracture that hadn't even healed up.

I get your point though but for me our injury situation runs deeper than merely signing injury prone players. I would expect the club will carry out its own internal enquiry as to why we have the frequent non availability  expensive athletes

No chance. Would be madness. He ended up in Turkey because no one in England would take a chance on him on the money he is on I would guess. 

He has spent most of his career on loan, and has one genuinely prolific season under his belt what, 5 years ago now?? Maybe longer! 

Furthermore, Kasey hasn’t yet done anything close to enough to suggest that he has the quality or consistency for us to go making signings specifically because they worked with him in a few games. 

I wish Benik all the best he seems a genuine chap, but a huge no from me. 

Archived