IGNORED

Discipline

mozo

Possibly mentioned elsewhere but thought I'd draw attention to what Nagy mentioned in the press conference when asked about Pearson...

"The boss is really strict. He's a really strong character and he has a strong personality - but that's probably what we need. A strict person. I'm talking about if one of us is late, or doesn't pay attention in a meeting or we leave our bibs, we get punished. It might be just a small issue but all those small errors and mistakes add up and that's what we can't have to have a good run between now and the end of the season"

It just confirms what we all expect about NP; he sets high standards and ensures that players abide by his expectations. 

By drawing attention to this, it's safe to assume that life was different - easier - under Holden, again something we had all assumed anyway.

With Palmer saying that you don't want to get on the wrong side of NP, and reference on a podcast to NP getting frustrated with Massengo for not being prompt and ready to come on as sub, it builds a picture of a stricter regime.

On the flipside, we've read and heard plenty about NP being inclusive and approachable, so he's not just an old school sergeant major.

The question is, will our players respond to this style?

Will they feel sorry for themselves and rebel, or will they thrive off the structure and commit to the common goal...?

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

Possibly mentioned elsewhere but thought I'd draw attention to what Nagy mentioned in the press conference when asked about Pearson...

"The boss is really strict. He's a really strong character and he has a strong personality - but that's probably what we need. A strict person. I'm talking about if one of us is late, or doesn't pay attention in a meeting or we leave our bibs, we get punished. It might be just a small issue but all those small errors and mistakes add up and that's what we can't have to have a good run between now and the end of the season"

It just confirms what we all expect about NP; he sets high standards and ensures that players abide by his expectations. 

By drawing attention to this, it's safe to assume that life was different - easier - under Holden, again something we had all assumed anyway.

With Palmer saying that you don't want to get on the wrong side of NP, and reference on a podcast to NP getting frustrated with Massengo for not being prompt and ready to come on as sub, it builds a picture of a stricter regime.

On the flipside, we've read and heard plenty about NP being inclusive and approachable, so he's not just an old school sergeant major.

Will they feel sorry for themselves and rebel, or will they thrive off the structure and commit to the common goal...?

Results and performances would suggest the latter

Yes a good pointer of the new regime by Nagy. 

But it sounds good to me. With the hopeful message by NP  buck up or get out. A good message to our OOC or soon to be players. 

It would appear to me a good starting point for hopefully a extended contract for NP he will know by the end of the season who is in for the long run and who can go and make room and money available for new signings coming in. 

I hope the players on the field now show this until the end of the season and we have the best finish possible 

COYR 

Good post Mozo...........:yes:

For me the bottom line is that any player(s) respond negatively to Big Nige’s  much stricter regime the they need to remember that there’s only ever one winner and it won’t be them.

As others have said - NPs regime is just what the squad needed.

25 minutes ago, mozo said:

Cue song:  "Always stay on the right side of Big Nige" 

Being fined/punished for being late, not paying attention or leaving equipment out is normal for the vast majority of teams. The fact Nagy has spoken about it says more to me about Holden that it does about NP. 

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Aka Holden was a pushover and we could do whatever we wanted

Funnily enough, in Gregor's transcript, the next question was about Holden and Nagy starts gushing about how inspirational good ol' Deano was.

I'm sure it's not the case but the way it's presented in the write up, Nagy says that Pearson's style is "probably what we need", and doesn't really praise NP, then next up states that Holden had a "big heart" and helped him improve "not only my character but also my game philosophy in his hands".

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Of course life was easier for the players under Holden. Jamie Paterson reportedly being 'delighted' that he'd been appointed said an awful lot. 

Yes, it was reported that the players wanted him appointed. That always makes me suspect they think they will get an easy ride.

Plus it's not easy to go from assistant, where perhaps you can be more matey with the players, to being the man in charge. I'm not sure Holden was ever able to make that change.

Nigel Pearson in a serious appointment in every sense. He's serious in his approach to the game, and has high expectations, and his appointment suggests the club has a genuine ambition to progress. Everyone at the club must be sensing that.

The contrast with Dean Holden could hardly be greater! Hence the sea-change in the mood on here.

Stands to reason that a lack of discipline off the pitch translates to a lack of discipline on the pitch.  If you can't be arsed to turn up on time or put your training bibs and cones and other equipment away or pay attention to tactics and formation etc, why should you to bothered on game day?  Track back?  Nah. Close down? Nah. Hold shape whilst under pressure? Nah. Put a sprint in when a jog will do?  Nah, I'll jog thanks.

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Yes, it was reported that the players wanted him appointed. That always makes me suspect they think they will get an easy ride.

Plus it's not easy to go from assistant, where perhaps you can be more matey with the players, to being the man in charge. I'm not sure Holden was ever able to make that change.

Of course they wanted him appointed. They knew him and that he was an excellent coach, better the devil you know...............:cool2:

Whether they thought Deano would be an easy ride is unlikely imo.

Its clear now that Ashton and invisible Jon had not considered the importance of he impact a new manager would have on the existing squad.

28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think they will. One thing LJ got right after the mess up of Tomlin transfer and some others at that time was to bring in an honest bunch. We seem to have a squad of players who seem quite easy to manage. There doesn't seem to be any one player who will be a problem for Pearson to manage. No doubt there will be the odd argument or worse between players and manager when we are losing or lose a game, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

An honest bunch that he didn’t know which ones he could trust? ?

Says it all for me!

They won’t be a problem for Pearson (theoretically) because he will manage them and not allow them to drop standards.

Perhaps the Cosy Club will be gone!

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Good post Mozo...........:yes:

For me the bottom line is that any player(s) respond negatively to Big Nige’s  much stricter regime the they need to remember that there’s only ever one winner and it won’t be them.

As others have said - NPs regime is just what the squad needed.

No, the whole club needed it!

Too nice. Too cosy. Too easy. For far too long now. 
This appointment hopefully takes us away from the ‘hes a nice bloke’ sense of feeling and we may actually turn into a competitive, aggressive and therefore successful club. 
Its been far too nice for too long from top down. Perhaps the reality has finally hit home for SL that if he wants success then he needs someone at the helm to demand and command respect. 
But ofcourse, im sure Nige is still a nice human! ?

23 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

What, they were late before?? No wonder we were losing every week.

Comments like that from players is quite worrying isn't it?

Read between the lines, and it would appear Holden was so laid back he was horizontal.

Frankly astounds me how he got the job and we were led to believe he was the best man for it in the first place.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I think it was probably more him deflecting the blame onto them when saying that. I struggle to think of players he had the last 2-3 seasons that didnt give everything out on the pitch. Maybe he meant level of performance, but then many games almost all players played badly, certainly at the end. Which always suggested to me it wasn't the players but the way they were set up.

I get that it was a "throwaway" phrase, but I rarely saw a team in his last 2 seasons that bust a gut for him. Bought in honest players rather than winners.  Winners raise standards of others, like Tammy did.

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Have you ever listened to Wilbo vis a vis life under LJ. Tomlin taking the piss and flaunting his contempt with Wilbo having to go in and talk to LJ about discipline. LJ apparently did nothing and thought it wasn’t a concern..

Enter Holden. Players took the piss on the field and he had nothing to change it. 

City have had a problem with over paid piss takers for 40 years except under Coterill and at times under GJ 

8 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Have you ever listened to Wilbo vis a vis life under LJ. Tomlin taking the piss and flaunting his contempt with Wilbo having to go in and talk to LJ about discipline. LJ apparently did nothing and thought it wasn’t a concern..

Enter Holden. Players took the piss on the field and he had nothing to change it. 

City have had a problem with over paid piss takers for 40 years except under Coterill and at times under GJ 

Not sure about that re LJ. Everything I’ve heard and read indicates that he tried to be pretty strict. 

I think given that he’s a younger manager he may have lacked the gravitas to pull it off as effectively. Tomlin is an enigmatic character anyway, flawed and arrogant. It was arrogant and naive of Johnson to think he could ‘tame’ him.

33 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not sure about that re LJ. Everything I’ve heard and read indicates that he tried to be pretty strict. 

I think given that he’s a younger manager he may have lacked the gravitas to pull it off as effectively. Tomlin is an enigmatic character anyway, flawed and arrogant. It was arrogant and naive of Johnson to think he could ‘tame’ him.

I don’t know.

However Wilbo made the comments in a podcast. Particularly about allowing players to have cell phones when protocol was that they left them in their lockers. 

He approached LJ about discipline and LJs comment was along the lines of agh yeah some of the foreign boys need to call home!! On Company Time! Really! Wilbraham made it pretty clear LJ was losing control of discipline and Tomlin would take advantage, probably among others. 

it’s all in the public domain directly from the club captain. 

City have a long and storied history of over paying alcoholics and hangers on. Cotterill wouldn’t stand for it and pretty much stands alone in that regard. I’m not saying there is a booze problem now. But there is a definite discipline issue. Holden could not get shit out of these players. 

God prey Pearson does not walk away from this Ashton LJ JL INSPIRED SHIT FEST of hangers on. Kalas made it clear recently he is throwing himself into blocks and tackles while others were not even trying. It’s been there to see 

11 hours ago, SBB said:

The fact Nagy has spoken about it says more to me about Holden that it does about NP. 

I watched the interview on Saturday morning and heard it exactly the same as everyone else on this thread. To be fair GMG asked Nagy the question to prompt him speaking about it, but his turn of phrase in response simply doesn't happen if he is describing a pre-existing dynamic at the club. Rules and authority sounded somewhat transformative, and Nagy doesn't strike me as a man of cliches.

I know LJ used to say some players need an arm round them, others a kick up the backside, but I defy anyone to manage without rules and authority across the whole lot. Even if its on the smallest things, it sets up a culture where instructions are clear and respect is only earned by adhering to instructions. Anything else I'm afraid is just fluffy insecure nonsense - you can't lead without drawing lines.

Incidentally, directly after this question GMG asked Adam Nagy a question that effectively setup a eulogy about Dean Holden. This isn't the first time the question's been asked since Holden left. Like everyone I liked DH and even felt a bit sorry for him, but this stuff is just ridiculous. Nice guy, but his reward was a job beyond his wildest dreams, good money, we don't owe him perpetual marketing too.

That isn't meant to be harsh, I just don't understand the sentiment that people who do an honest days work for City need to be revered, even after being sacked. It's things like this which perpetuate the perceived "soft" side to our club. We'll have players that we only re-sign because of this sort of sentimental crap. At some clubs anything bar promotion and no one is irreplaceable nor quickly forgotten. 

Archived