IGNORED

Who needs shipping out in the summer?

Alan Dicks

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.  There were about 5 instances second half where he actually moved away from the QPR player receiving the pass, rather than towards him.

I hope NP noticed.

Only five. There were also occasions when QPR broke lines and he was walking back. Its not even a brisk walk. Cannot be arsed to even jog frequently. Its laziness. Its indifference. Its the flight response.

This is Bristol City's star player. This is the role model for others. A player who sets the standard.

Not good enough for seasons.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think we have good midfielder and forward options, certainly once those injured return.

Fam may need replacing. But Wells was top goalscorer when we signed him, so if he's the main man next season in his favoured role, then we might not be as desperate as some say for a striker. Whoever we bring in might only be back up if Pearson goes with Wells up top in say a 4231 and it works.

Defence for me is what needs sorting more than anything.

Think we need another top CB, a starting winger, a starting RB and a top striker. 

How I look at it is, Kalas plays much better next to another top CB. His best ganes have been with Mawson and Webster.

I like Hunt but he is older and has a lot of minutes and injuries in those legs and is a demanding position. 

A traditional winger to go along with O’Dowda and Semenyo. We then have balance. At the minute, and without COD, we have too many who are better suited to drifting inside. 

At striker, Wells doesn’t have a complete enough game for me to play on his own. With Fam seemingly leaving on top of that, it is a chance for us to bring in real quality at that position. 

We have starting calibre players everywhere else imo. They just need the experience and guidance now. NP should give the guidance if he pens a long term deal and many have gained good experience this season. So I expect more from players like Semenyo, Bakinson, Vyner and some of the other younger players next season. 

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

The thing with Wells imo is , if he’s played up top on his own in a 451/4231 in a fluid formation with three intelligent attacking players behind him so he can play off the shoulder then I think you’ll see a different player .

Wells is the best finisher and potential match-winner at the club. But at the moment even if he starts through the middle he has to drop deep and wide to give us more options. We need someone to compliment him up front. I love Famara and he is vital to us right now for his defensive duties, but in the summer we need to sort out an impenetrable back line and get in a foil for Nahki. Bob Taylor had Robbie Turner. Nahki needs his Robbie.

13 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Miraculously raised his game against Boro, who were rumoured suitors this summer. Otherwise looks disinterested. I would drop him for the rest of the season but we are sadly short of options up front. 

Give Antoine and Louis some minutes 

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He's always put in the effort he can imo. I wouldn't call him lazy, far from it. He looks absolutely shattered. He's pressing in a 2 man strike force which really does not suit him, and it's really showing how he can't do it. Especially when alongside someone like Wells who can sprint for 90 minutes. And it really showed too when alongside Weimann in previous seasons.

What I don't get is people won't call him lazy when he plays well in his hold up play, defending set pieces, scoring a goal etc. But when he plays badly some people will say he is lazy or isn't trying. Personally I can't see the difference in effort on a good or bad day for him.

In effect, he plays when he wants to and if things don’t go his way he stops working.  He’s as fickle as our fans.  He just ambles around.  He is not a team player.

Great if you think he’s ok.  Great if you think you’re seeing effort. You’d be well at home in BS3 Cosy Club if you’re accepting of that ???

I can’t wait to see him gone.  He’s another player who is the epitome of Bristol City over the past few seasons.  He drives down standards.  We need players to drive up standards.  Wilbraham at 41 woukd give more than Fam

We need a big broom to sweep this squad.
Hunt Mariappa Fam Lansbury  Rowe Watkins Sessengon Adelekun Walsh Gilmartin  and perhaps Baker all gone for me.

Patterson and Wieman offer contracts. 

Loan out Massengo for 6 months or season long loan. 

Tie up Bakinson and Vyner as soon as it's possible. 

CoD Martin and Nagy need a good start to next season. Tie up the ones who impress or let them go. All 3 replaceable. No opinion either way. 

Build a team around Wells who is more than capable

Stevo 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In effect, he plays when he wants to and if things don’t go his way he stops working.  He’s as fickle as our fans.  He just ambles around.  He is not a team player.

Great if you think he’s ok.  Great if you think you’re seeing effort. You’d be well at home in BS3 Cosy Club if you’re accepting of that ???

I can’t wait to see him gone.  He’s another player who is the epitome of Bristol City over the past few seasons.  He drives down standards.  We need players to drive up standards.  Wilbraham at 41 woukd give more than Fam

well said, not sure why some people don't see this, we can get an upgrade on Fam in the summer, there is a lot better out there

Just now, Davefevs said:

He was a passenger for large parts today, but does have something.

What he has is pace, power and a bit of trickery.

What he doesn't have is the ability to finish or more importantly make the correct decision to cross, pass or shoot in the final third. Not something that can be corrected in my opinion.

Just now, Superjack said:

What he doesn't have is the ability to finish or more importantly make the correct decision to cross, pass or shoot in the final third. Not something that can be corrected in my opinion.

Lacks footballing intelligence is what I think you're trying to say.

All of the OOC players barring Weimann and Walsh. But like others have said regarding Walsh we don’t know if we are getting a championship or top league one player. 
Sell O’Dowda, but I doubt we will get many suitors for him. 
This summer I can see a lot of trading with clubs just on a lower scale regarding fee’s. As most clubs try to recoup some funds against this years low income. Also be a few OOC in other clubs looking to be moved around. 
Would consider using Wells centre next season with Weimann behind along with Semenyo and Palmer. 

19 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think we need another top CB, a starting winger, a starting RB and a top striker. 

How I look at it is, Kalas plays much better next to another top CB. His best ganes have been with Mawson and Webster.

I like Hunt but he is older and has a lot of minutes and injuries in those legs and is a demanding position. 

A traditional winger to go along with O’Dowda and Semenyo. We then have balance. At the minute, and without COD, we have too many who are better suited to drifting inside. 

At striker, Wells doesn’t have a complete enough game for me to play on his own. With Fam seemingly leaving on top of that, it is a chance for us to bring in real quality at that position. 

We have starting calibre players everywhere else imo. They just need the experience and guidance now. NP should give the guidance if he pens a long term deal and many have gained good experience this season. So I expect more from players like Semenyo, Bakinson, Vyner and some of the other younger players next season. 

Personally I think we need a quality central midfielder. A leader.

11 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I don't think Antoine is ever going to cut it. Not based on goalscoring, but on decision making.

Big call given Bobby and Joe were in league 2 on loan at the same age, should be given a while yet to show he can turn performances here and there into consistency 

5 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

We need a big broom to sweep this squad.
Hunt Mariappa Fam Lansbury  Rowe Watkins Sessengon Adelekun Walsh Gilmartin  and perhaps Baker all gone for me.

Patterson and Wieman offer contracts. 

Loan out Massengo for 6 months or season long loan. 

Tie up Bakinson and Vyner as soon as it's possible. 

CoD Martin and Nagy need a good start to next season. Tie up the ones who impress or let them go. All 3 replaceable. No opinion either way. 

Build a team around Wells who is more than capable

Stevo 

Think I would agree with the vast majority of that, certainly move on the 11 at the start of your post.

I’d definitely offer Weimann a deal, probably offer Paterson one, possibly Hunt & then release everyone else.

Famara I think is academic though because I expect him to look to move on no matter what.

Vyner is an important player but for me Bakinson & Massengo are only squad players if we want to significantly improve.

21 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Everyone who is out of contract - apart from Liam Walsh.

What has Walsh done to deserve a new contract ? Genuine question . We’re all frustrated he hasn’t played this season but is he a NP type player ? No one knows really . I’d guess he likes the wiemann type player over the Walsh type. 
Added to this . I wanted Palmer gone but to be fair to him he’s playing better now than he’s ever done since being here. Not just with the ball but without it as well . 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Disagree with that. I have seen Fam put in the same effort on good days and bad days. I see it as he's a big unit who simply isn't capable of pressing in the way fans probably want him to. I really can't see how he is sprinting more when he plays well than he is when having a poor game like today.

He doesn’t play well very often.  He might score goals, but generally his team contribution beside goals is  poor.  He is a contributory factor to poor overall team performances. When some players are playing poorly, they work harder to make up for it.  Fam doesn’t.  I’d rather he ran himself into the ground for 45 minutes.  Never happens.

4 minutes ago, M.D said:

Lacks footballing intelligence is what I think you're trying to say.

6 minutes ago, Superjack said:

He reminds me of the scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz who sang “If I only had a brain.”  I don’t mean he’s stupid, just that he doesn’t have football decision making ability. When he gets into dangerous attacking positions he needs to think of Corporal Jones from Dad’d Army - “Don’t Panic”

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Big call given Bobby and Joe were in league 2 on loan at the same age, should be given a while yet to show he can turn performances here and there into consistency 

Totally different in my opinion. Bobby blossomed when changed from a midfielder into a striker. Loans were beneficial to both players that you mention.

Antoine has had loans. They may well have helped him develop into the player we see now. What they haven't done is develop his footballing intelligence and on-pitch decision making. And I don't have faith that another loan or any manager or coach will.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Disagree with that. I have seen Fam put in the same effort on good days and bad days. I see it as he's a big unit who simply isn't capable of pressing in the way fans probably want him to. I really can't see how he is sprinting more when he plays well than he is when having a poor game like today.

The player in question doesn't press, he finds it challenging/cant be bothered to screen which does not require  explosive movement. Its a lack of effort that has affected the teams tactical defensive shape. Its a mindset that will effect the team. 

The player in question is technically limited. His technical limitations affect the tactical flexibility of the team. 

The player sets a low standard. 

2 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Totally different in my opinion. Bobby blossomed when changed from a midfielder into a striker. Loans were beneficial to both players that you mention.

Antoine has had loans. They may well have helped him develop into the player we see now. What they haven't done is develop his footballing intelligence and on-pitch decision making. And I don't have faith that another loan or any manager or coach will.

I agree, not something that can be coached/taught

Just now, Cowshed said:

The player in question doesn't press, he finds it challenging/cant be bothered to screen which does not require  explosive movement. Its a lack of effort that has affected the teams tactical defensive shape. Its a mindset that will effect the team. 

The player in question is technically limited. His technical limitations affect the tactical flexibility of the team. 

The player sets a low standard. 

Thank you.

Its obvious to most of us.  Completely unsuited to a team press, even a mid block let alone a high press.  Defenders have easy afternoons on the ball, because he doesn’t engage / press them.  

Just now, Superjack said:

He was playing well and developing at Newport before being called back, was working well as a wide forward/winger for them and then upfront for us. However his loan to Sunderland was cut short due to COVID and he only got 8 games or so. He's currently caught between 'is he a forward or is he a wide forward?', I think he's definitely got a future at championship level as a wide forward. If he played in a team who focused on getting into the box looking for cut backs I think he'd get a lot of assists (he has 5 in the league for us which still puts him top 20 for forwards/wingers in the championship, plus 2 in the cup) and he's one of few players we have who can actually create a yard of space for himself. His assist tally is better than most other players for us over last few seasons.

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

He reminds me of the scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz who sang “If I only had a brain.”  I don’t mean he’s stupid, just that he doesn’t have football decision making ability. When he gets into dangerous attacking positions he needs to think of Corporal Jones from Dad’d Army - “Don’t Panic”

Yes exactly. But can that be coached? I'm not so sure.

Ironically of course, Corporal Jones said that in moments of blind panic, so maybe he should try hypnotism or something instead. 

Currently i would say only the below are worth keeping:

Bentley, Kalas, Williams, Vyner, Wells, Palmer and possibly Walsh / Dasilva if they can prove their fitness -  (in my opinion of course) would be starters- that is still a big rebuild for any Manager.

Archived