IGNORED

Who needs shipping out in the summer?

Alan Dicks

1 hour ago, WayOutWest said:

We need a big broom to sweep this squad.
Hunt Mariappa Fam Lansbury  Rowe Watkins Sessengon Adelekun Walsh Gilmartin  and perhaps Baker all gone for me.

Patterson and Wieman offer contracts. 

Loan out Massengo for 6 months or season long loan. 

Tie up Bakinson and Vyner as soon as it's possible. 

CoD Martin and Nagy need a good start to next season. Tie up the ones who impress or let them go. All 3 replaceable. No opinion either way. 

Build a team around Wells who is more than capable

Stevo 

Patterson would be one of the first out the door if i was in charge along with the following if i could get rid of them, Massengo would also be close 

Hunt
Mawson 
Baker 
Famara
O’dowda
Wieman 
Lansbury 
Rowe
Adelkun 

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

Patterson would be one of the first out the door if i was in charge along with the following if i could get rid of them, Massengo would also be close 

Hunt
Mawson 
Baker 
Famara
O’dowda
Wieman 
Lansbury 
Rowe
Adelkun 

Think we’d be foolish to chuck Weimann. Barely been injured up to now and a great squad player. 

Look back over highlights and see how many goals he’s been directly involved in. Understands the game better than most 

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Liverpool's squad is full of players who have "done it". Ours isn't...........not a similar comparison, in fact our squad is full of players who are proven "haven't done it" merchants, have let one Manager down and then let down the next........and guess what those same players will do to Nigel Pearson given time? I have little sympathy for players who earn thousands of pounds per week and at the drop of a hat have the power to say "I'm downing tools". I haven't forgotten what a number of these players have served up over recent months, 6-0 at Watford, three games without a corner, a shot on target rarer than rocking horse shit, football that as a fan you are embarrassed to be associated with, players who can't be arsed to sink a proper tackle not even out of frustration when we are getting mullered. I'm not forgetting any of that because whilst they didn't give a shit and still pick up their £25K or whatever it is they "earn" at the end of the month most of us were hurting as fans after each abject performance that was getting worse and worse. If they don't get offered a contract here then so be it. Thanks, goodbye and good luck. Enjoy oblivion.

I would be quite happy to see Pearson build a squad with a longer term aim rather than embark on a half-arsed, short termist, recruitment campaign designed to "try" and please impatient fans next season............and to hell with the consequences after that. We've tried that for a few years now and it hasn't worked. The recruitment "strategy" of Johnson/Ashton has set this club back significantly and hugely compounded by a nonsensical decision at Owner/ Board level to recruit an Assistant Manager who was wholly out of his depth (I hate that term but unfortunately it was true) and I don't want to see that repeated I know that much.

For the first time in years it feels like we have a REAL Manager running the show and surely as fans we have to give this bloke the necessary resources and most importantly time to get the job done properly.

I did say that it wasn't the best analogy for that very reason. It's a good post and a fair point. And yes, if you are happy to write off a promotion challenge next season and look more long term, then maybe just **** them all off.

Although I think that you may have a romanticised view if you are of the opinion that if bad runs of results and the inevitable accompanying disharmony materialises, any group of players wouldn't show the same.

Hopefully this manager will stay and live up to his billing. In which case, it shouldn't be an issue.

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

Well we do, we have Wells. But yes, we need more of them.

Famara the striker can be replaced without too much bother. But can Famara the defender?

It’s a serious indictment of the defence (valid mind ) that you even mention it. I suggest we get better defenders & a better striker to replace him 

Just now, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Think we’d be foolish to chuck Weimann. Barely been injured up to now and a great squad player. 

Look back over highlights and see how many goals he’s been directly involved in. Understands the game better than most 

Proper "team" player too. I think Pearson would like to manage him.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Williams was the man brought in to give us a bit more grit in midfield.

Fair enough. I would’ve said Williams was the (delayed) replacement for Brownhill though?  I don’t deny he likes a tackle, but I’m not sure he’s best used in the role I’m thinking of?

I was thinking more along the lines of Korey (sigh) or even Pack... though ideally without Marlon’s obvious lack of pace.

10 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I don't know, did we?

Possibly a fair point if true. But as much as I hate the term 'clubs in the bag', we will need wing backs at the club if we are not going to be limited in formation options, and in my opinion we may as well have one of the best deliverers of the ball in the opponents half as one of them rather than splashing cash that we don't need to.

Yeah, he's one of the one I would keep, as a useful back up

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

What he has is pace, power and a bit of trickery.

What he doesn't have is the ability to finish or more importantly make the correct decision to cross, pass or shoot in the final third. Not something that can be corrected in my opinion.

He is , despite your analysis, our best player for assists . 

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

It’s a serious indictment of the defence (valid mind ) that you even mention it. I suggest we get better defenders & a better striker to replace him 

Well, yes. I have said this on another post. It's a shame, because I do like Famara, and it is a tragedy that he had to toil on his own up front, feeding on scraps for a big chunk of his time here under Johnson, but this is probably what we need to do.

If only Nathan Baker wasn't made of glass. What's Benkovic doing now?

4 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Maybe I’m being a bit harsh there but i think Semenyo is the future and Weiman is on big money for a squad player. 

Of the OOC players I would give Weimann and Walsh short term deals and they can't get funny on wage demands.

I've really lost patience with Wells. Everyone says he's a finisher (so he needs chances), but today he gets a great chance to turn the game round and he skies it. And he balloons way too many of his chances over the bar for a player whose USP is shooting!

Wells has been much better under NP but still too slapdash for a team hunting top 6. Sorry, I want a new 'goalscorer' at the club as our main man.

23 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I would look to see Walsh for the rest of the season before deciding. I am thinking keep based on his huge improvements at Coventry according to their fans. Still a very young age with so many years left. Got so much natural ability, it could be a big mistake if we let him go and see him playing well for some other championship club next season! Of course it won't only be us who has to make a decision, Walsh himself might want to move on.

Otherwise I would look to keep Weimann and Cundy. Both easy to do with year options on their contracts.

Cundy has apparently been good at Gillingham, a clear sign of improvement. Very impressive from Bath to Torquay to Newport and now in league one with Gillingham. Quite a big improvement in standard in a couple of seasons and still a good age at only 23. That's young for a centre back.

Weimann is a versatile player. And usually not injury prone. So always a good options in the squad as long as Pearson rates him which it sounds like he does.

All the others I would let go.

Don’t disagree with very much here, but regarding Walsh, firstly he needs to get fit enough to play & the games are running out.

Secondly if we do keep him on what are we basing it on? League One games, because his career so far has absolutely nothing in it that proves he is good enough for The Championship (cue someone mentioning he was good v Stoke for 45 minutes once).

Just now, Major Isewater said:

He is , despite your analysis, our best player for assists . 

Well that's an appalling indictment on the rest of them. You do remember that we have spent the majority of the season creating the square root of **** all, no?

10 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Hunt
Mawson 
Baker 
Famara
O’dowda
Wieman 
Lansbury 
Rowe
Adelkun 

I'd keep Wiemann and Rowe out of those. Bit sad i'm not even bothered with a huge chunk of the squad leaving. 

18 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I genuinely don't understand why Fam has become the scapegoat for our poor season. 

I get he hasn't signed a new contract but I don't blame him he was bumped down to 3rd / 4th choice striker at the start of the season so obviously not in the managers plans, under those circumstances he might as well move on.

He's never been quick or brilliant on the ball but for the past few seasons has been our top scorer. People say yeh but what else does he do but a strikers primary role is to score and he does that more than any other striker at the club.

We will miss him and it will cost a lot to get a better striker. 

He is just not quite good enough.

I get the feeling that he is not functioning at  the height of his capacity like many players at the club .He is not consistent enough to move the club up the division.

I wouldn’t offer him a contract on better terms. I think we can do better. 

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I'd keep Wiemann and Rowe out of those. Bit sad i'm not even bothered with a huge chunk of the squad leaving. 

Was in a group chat that said the same. Imagine all the wages freed up next season with Mawson, Sess, Baker, Pato, Watkins, Adelakun, Hunt and fam gone.

4 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Well that's an appalling indictment on the rest of them. You do remember that we have spent the majority of the season creating the square root of **** all, no?

Agreed but I think there is potential with the lad. Don’t forget that this is his first season at this level and he hasn’t looked out of place. 

He can do better and hopefully he will. 

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Don’t disagree with very much here, but regarding Walsh, firstly he needs to get fit enough to play & the games are running out.

Secondly if we do keep him on what are we basing it on? League One games, because his career so far has absolutely nothing in it that proves he is good enough for The Championship (cue someone mentioning he was good v Stoke for 45 minutes once).

He was bloody good though! ?

3 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Well, yes. I have said this on another post. It's a shame, because I do like Famara, and it is a tragedy that he had to toil on his own up front, feeding on scraps for a big chunk of his time here under Johnson, but this is probably what we need to do.

If only Nathan Baker wasn't made of glass. What's Benkovic doing now?

Best football under Johnson featured a two that did not include Diedhiou. Bobby Reid really toiled.

The player has played over a hundred league games. For a large chunk of those he had numerous partners. The success of those partnerships is questionable. The inconsistent consistent was Diedhiou. 

Bristol City dropped its high tempo high pressing game because Diedhiou lacked the defensive tactical intensity to do it. That's physical and mental toil. Has not got it. 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Agreed but I think there is potential with the lad. Don’t forget that this is his first season at this level and he hasn’t looked out of place. 

He can do better and hopefully he will. 

Hope you are right, major.

He's just so frustrating. Looks such a threat until he gets anywhere near the penalty area. 

How long do we have to wait for him to grow a brain in the final third?

8 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Maybe I’m being a bit harsh there but i think Semenyo is the future and Weiman is on big money for a squad player. 

Say Weimann is on £15-18k per week and his year option is at that wage.

Assuming we can see true recovery from his ACL (he’s doing remarkably well), then I’d be looking at renegotiating a new deal, say something like a 2 year deal at £10-12k.

Re Walsh, again, little point offering him a year.  If you want him to stay, it’s got to be because you rate him, and therefore you offer at least 2 years, maybe 2+1 or 3.

But don’t re-contract anyone to be a club in the bag.  Only re-contract those you genuinely believe in.

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Best football under Johnson featured a two that did not include Diedhiou. Bobby Reid really toiled.

The player has played over a hundred league games. For a large chunk of those he had numerous partners. The success of those partnerships is questionable. The inconsistent consistent was Diedhiou. 

Bristol City dropped its high tempo high pressing game because Diedhiou lacked the defensive tactical intensity to do it. That's physical and mental toil. Has not got it. 

I agree that he doesn't lend himself well to a pressing game. But the reason we dropped our high tempo pressing game that season is because we couldn't maintain it for a continuous period of time. Johnson then had no ideas. He only really stumbled on Reid upfront and the pressing game because he was forced into it with an injury situation.

Then again, maybe I just don't rate Johnson. Much like you don't rate Diedhiou.

1 minute ago, Superjack said:

I agree that he doesn't lend himself well to a pressing game. But the reason we dropped our high tempo pressing game that season is because we couldn't maintain it

With replacements like Diedhiou.

Its obvious (you agree) with respect if he is in the XI and does not possess the required skill set. The football thus has to change.

The points I picked up on was toil and partners. The player had numerous partners. He did not toil on his own for a LOT of games. His partnerships fared? Not particularly well. This can be a case of the limitations of this player. 

It makes me laugh on this thread when I see comments like 'we should sell' or 'get rid of' etc etc.

Sell to who exactly? Get rid of how?

For anyone under contract, the only player we are likely to get any sort of cash offer for is Bentley.  I very much doubt for players under contract, e.g. O'Dowda and the like we will get any offers whatsoever. 

Secondly, those still under contract (2 or 3 more years in the case of some like O'Dowda, Taylor Moor and Kasey Palmer) are not going to get a better financial package elsewhere either, so we are stuck with them whether you rate them or not.

9 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I agree that he doesn't lend himself well to a pressing game. But the reason we dropped our high tempo pressing game that season is because we couldn't maintain it for a continuous period of time. Johnson then had no ideas. He only really stumbled on Reid upfront and the pressing game because he was forced into it with an injury situation.

Then again, maybe I just don't rate Johnson. Much like you don't rate Diedhiou.

But that’s untrue - he played Reid up top in pre season so it wasn’t forced in to it 

Archived