IGNORED

Who needs shipping out in the summer?

Alan Dicks

I'm slightly concerned about who will be in charge of recruitment once we let all these OOC players leave. 

I understand NP has said he doesn't see it as his role to go scouting and finding players. His successful recruitment at Leicester was reportedly down to Steve Walsh in the main wasn't it? 

So unless Nige has a plan for someone else to come in and lead on that, we'll be back to Ashton and his analysts. Even if NP is calling the shots, hasn't he pretty much said that finding the players isn't his thing?

The thought of MA coming up with the list would seriously undermine my confidence for next season. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My squad to take into pre-season (ages at 30.06 / contract end), based on who I think might react well to Pearson over the coming weeks and those who won’t.  Also assumes fitness for some.  It is a starting point, and availability of players elsewhere might see one in one out.

GKs: (2)

Bentley (27 / 2023): first choice, will probably attract interest, but NP to convince him to play a part in a new City

O’Leary (24 / 2023): able deputy

RBs: (1)

Vyner (24 / 2023): versatile, but until we know who else may come in, then RB.

LBs: (2)

Dasilva (23 / 2023): get him fit, 1st choice, important to possession based style

Pring (23 / 2023): back up, although possibility of the right LB is available that you might move him on.  But not a priority area due to other LBs in u23s.

CBs: (4)

Kalas (28 / 2023): 1st choice CB

Baker (30 / 2 year deal): assuming fit by end of season, offer two year deal on reduced wages

Moore (24 / 2023): if you can bring in the right CB, look to move on

Cundy (24 / option): take option and use pre-season to assess future

Midfielders: (6)

Williams (24 / 2024): gonna be a key player

Bakinson (22 / 2022): think NP will change his mindset.  Extend contract too, only a year left

O’Dowda (26 / 2022): think he will respond to NP. Extend contract too (you may be surprised by me saying this, but I think he has ability!)

Walsh (23 / 3 year deal): same as two above

Palmer (24 / 2023): we are starting to see what he can bring, let Paterson go

Massengo (19 / 2023): use in more attacking roles.

Forwards: (4)

Wells (31 / 2023): gonna be first choice

Weimann (29 / 2 year deal): versatile, energetic, what NP likes

Martin (32 / 2022): use more sensibly, to rotate others

Semenyo (21 / 2023): make him better!

Areas to recruit:

Right Back

Centre Back

Midfield (can play inside or outside)

Striker (succession planning)

u23: loans for some / most

Nurse (22 / 2023)

Towler (19 / extend this summer)

Morton (22 / 2023)

Z.Smith (20 / extend)

Bell (19 / extend)

Pearson (19 / extend)

Ow.Edwards (20 / 2022)

Op.Edwards (22 / option)

Scott (18 / tbc long term)

Janneh (21 / 2023)

Conway (18 / extend)

Look to Sell:

Nagy (26 / 2022): use Euros as shop window, recoup as much as you can

Let go:

Gilmartin (34 - OOC): coaching contract

Wollacott (24 - OOC): don’t take option

Hunt (30 - OOC)

Webb (20 - OOC):

Rowe (32 - OOC): with a heavy heart

Mariappa (34 - OOC)

Adelakun (24 - OOC): don’t take option

Watkins (30 - OOC)

Lansbury (30 - OOC)

Paterson (29 - OOC)

Hinds (22 - OOC): don’t take option

Diedhiou (28 - OOC)

other considerations:

Assess strength of u23 keepers, Robertson and Wiles-Richards as keeper cover

Agree with that Dave except I'm very dubious about Wells as first choice. I'd love us to find a hungry, talented striker from overseas. 

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Agree with that Dave except I'm very dubious about Wells as first choice. I'd love us to find a hungry, talented striker from overseas. 

As per my initial para, as you bring in players it changes stuff, just a starting point.  But I reckon we end up with a one up top system.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As per my initial para, as you bring in players it changes stuff, just a starting point.  But I reckon we end up with a one up top system.

Gotcha. I would also say that the CB must be a ball player, and the CM must be a big character; vocal, an organiser, fiery maybe.

On 06/03/2021 at 18:15, Superjack said:

What he has is pace, power and a bit of trickery.

What he doesn't have is the ability to finish or more importantly make the correct decision to cross, pass or shoot in the final third. Not something that can be corrected in my opinion.

To me he is an athlete not a footballer

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My squad to take into pre-season (ages at 30.06 / contract end), based on who I think might react well to Pearson over the coming weeks and those who won’t.  Also assumes fitness for some.  It is a starting point, and availability of players elsewhere might see one in one out.

Bentley (27 / 2023): first choice, will probably attract interest, but NP to convince him to play a part in a new City

Dasilva (23 / 2023): get him fit, 1st choice, important to possession based style

Pring (23 / 2023): back up, although possibility of the right LB is available that you might move him on.  But not a priority area due to other LBs in u23s.

Baker (30 / 2 year deal): assuming fit by end of season, offer two year deal on reduced wages

Bakinson (22 / 2022): think NP will change his mindset.  Extend contract too, only a year left

O’Dowda (26 / 2022): think he will respond to NP. Extend contract too (you may be surprised by me saying this, but I think he has ability!)

Areas to recruit:

Right Back

Centre Back

Nurse (22 / 2023)

Morton (22 / 2023)

Z.Smith (20 / extend)

Bell (19 / extend)

Pearson (19 / extend)

Ow.Edwards (20 / 2022)

Op.Edwards (22 / option)

Janneh (21 / 2023)

Conway (18 / extend)

Look to Sell:

Let go:

Hunt (30 - OOC)

Webb (20 - OOC):

Mariappa (34 - OOC)

Watkins (30 - OOC)

Lansbury (30 - OOC)

Paterson (29 - OOC)

Diedhiou (28 - OOC)

other considerations:

I dread the thought of Wells as first choice striker...he is very very average.

33 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I dread the thought of Wells as first choice striker...he is very very average.

Played alongside Fam or left wing, I tend to agree.

Ideally, I’d like a manager to plays a team system that suits the players.  Call me old fashioned ???

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Areas to recruit:

Right Back

Centre Back

Nurse (22 / 2023)

Morton (22 / 2023)

Z.Smith (20 / extend)

Bell (19 / extend)

Pearson (19 / extend)

Ow.Edwards (20 / 2022)

Op.Edwards (22 / option)

Janneh (21 / 2023)

Conway (18 / extend)

Look to Sell:

Let go:

Hunt (30 - OOC)

Webb (20 - OOC):

Mariappa (34 - OOC)

Watkins (30 - OOC)

Lansbury (30 - OOC)

Paterson (29 - OOC)

Diedhiou (28 - OOC)

other considerations:

I know you don’t agree but I’d let Baker go.

His 3 previous seasons to this have seen him start 34, 13 & 33 games, with a 0/34 record in 20/21 that is far too few games  over 4 years now for a reputed top six earner.

I’d want to see something that convinced me Walsh was even good enough as a squad player before offering him a deal & would definitely have Paterson under contract before him.

Mariappa is probably on less than half what Baker or Mawson are on, I still think Pearson might keep him as a squad option. If he didn’t & Baker left as well (Mawson obviously will) that is a huge chunk of wages to find a CB to partner Kalas & good RB.

Not sure Opi Edwards is good enough or at 22 has the time on his side that others do.

If Gilmartin is to stay on as a coach then someone else must go, we already have Simpson, Downing, Cisse & Alex Ball with the 23s, I’m not sure that anyone bar the latter is actually worth keeping, especially if Pearson wants his own people.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

If Gilmartin is to stay on as a coach then someone else must go

Gillmartin is already the assistant coach for the u23's so he'd just have a contract for that as opposed to a playing contract

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I know you don’t agree but I’d let Baker go.

His 3 previous seasons to this have seen him start 34, 13 & 33 games, with a 0/34 record in 20/21 that is far too few games  over 4 years now for a reputed top six earner.

I’d want to see something that convinced me Walsh was even good enough as a squad player before offering him a deal & would definitely have Paterson under contract before him.

Mariappa is probably on less than half what Baker or Mawson are on, I still think Pearson might keep him as a squad option. If he didn’t & Baker left as well (Mawson obviously will) that is a huge chunk of wages to find a CB to partner Kalas & good RB.

Not sure Opi Edwards is good enough or at 22 has the time on his side that others do.

If Gilmartin is to stay on as a coach then someone else must go, we already have Simpson, Downing, Cisse & Alex Ball with the 23s, I’m not sure that anyone bar the latter is actually worth keeping, especially if Pearson wants his own people.

It’s more that I don’t know the scope of what we can bring in, why I’m going for Baker...and it’s based on him proving his fitness (hahaha) this season.

Sat here tonight, if I knew Pearson was looking at two new proper 1st team CBs to battle it out with Kalas, I’d be thinking differently.

Walsh, same applies, it’s an assumption he comes back and proves worthy of keeping.

My mind might change over the coming weeks.

Re Opi I was just tempted by the year option, cheap wages and an opportunity to see what happens.

Re Gilmartin, yes, probably at the expense of one of the other coaches, possibly Mountain.

But, overall, it’s all a bit of guesswork at this point.  We will know a lot more over the next 3 or 4 weeks.  Suspect my list will change a bit in that time.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s more that I don’t know the scope of what we can bring in, why I’m going for Baker...and it’s based on him proving his fitness (hahaha) this season.

Sat here tonight, if I knew Pearson was looking at two new proper 1st team CBs to battle it out with Kalas, I’d be thinking differently.

Walsh, same applies, it’s an assumption he comes back and proves worthy of keeping.

Re Opi I was just tempted by the year option, cheap wages and an opportunity to see what happens.

Re Gilmartin, yes, probably at the expense of one of the other coaches, possibly Mountain.

But, overall, it’s all a bit of guesswork at this point.  We will know a lot more over the next 3 or 4 weeks.  Suspect my list will change a bit in that time.

I didn't realise you had Baker as one to keep! ? You know my thoughts on that one - get rid!

Naturally, the clear out is the easy bit - and there's a princely sum of wages to be saved - but the recruitment also has to be bloody good if you're rebuilding.

24 minutes ago, mozo said:

I didn't realise you had Baker as one to keep! ? You know my thoughts on that one - get rid!

Naturally, the clear out is the easy bit - and there's a princely sum of wages to be saved - but the recruitment also has to be bloody good if you're rebuilding.

That’s what troubles me.  Our recruitment has in recent years been poor, sometimes abysmal, and only seldom has been an improvement on the past.  In present squad only Bentley and Kalas look improvements on past.  True we’ve barely seen Williams.  Our loans have been equally underwhelming, or if not and then signed for us have soon deteriorated.

Sorry to harp back but what persuaded anyone at Ashton Gate that Marley Watkins was anywhere near the standard necessary for a first team, even reserve, place.

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Areas to recruit:

Right Back

Centre Back

Nurse (22 / 2023)

Morton (22 / 2023)

Z.Smith (20 / extend)

Bell (19 / extend)

Pearson (19 / extend)

Ow.Edwards (20 / 2022)

Op.Edwards (22 / option)

Janneh (21 / 2023)

Conway (18 / extend)

Look to Sell:

Let go:

Hunt (30 - OOC)

Webb (20 - OOC):

Mariappa (34 - OOC)

Watkins (30 - OOC)

Lansbury (30 - OOC)

Paterson (29 - OOC)

Diedhiou (28 - OOC)

other considerations:

Hard to disagree with that Dave.
What I might be tempted to do, depending what free or OOC players are around is offer Rowe a year. Been good cover for anywhere left side. I'd say the same about Watkins, I think he'd be seen as the type of player NP would like to add some steel. I do think him being away and now injured counts against him though.
We might have to be a bit hard with the younger players, doesn't the 8 loan rule come in this year ?
Totally agree about Baker. You weigh up the cost of bringing a new LCB in against what could be a reduced contract. We've seen how vital having that balance across the back line is.

I would hope, if he stays, NP would be allowed to bring in certain staff. Steve Walsh is currently in the MLS as an adviser, so not sure how see he'd be but I would hope it would be someone along those lines, a trusted aid to spot players. That could be the most important siding of the summer.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Good points.

None of us know the input of the coaches but Mountain is probably the easiest one to measure.

I think (midweek aside) Bentley has improved this season & in Max we have the perfect second keeper, so I’d keep him over Gilmartin every day of the week.

52 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Good points.

None of us know the input of the coaches but Mountain is probably the easiest one to measure.

I think (midweek aside) Bentley has improved this season & in Max we have the perfect second keeper, so I’d keep him over Gilmartin every day of the week.

Yeah, that’s fair enough.  I was thinking more of formalising his role with the u23s, than first team.

We will know a lot more over the coming weeks which players are up for the challenge and which ones are cosy club.  Rude awakening for some I suspect!!!

9 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Going to cost a fortune to replace the OOC players. 

Getting into a position where famara just walks is just mental. 1 in 3 goals per game strikers cost loads 

We certainly don’t need to replace all the out of contract players, as we currently have far too many.

I really don’t think it will cost us a fortune, more like save us one.

Here’s an example, we currently have Mawson on loan (probably £25k a week), Baker (£20k) & Mariappa on about £10k.

I’d argue with Kalas, Vyner & Moore under contract that if we brought in one replacement clear first choice CB & paid him £18k a week, (which is huge money in a Covid influenced transfer market), we have just saved £37k & are worse off in what way?

If Pearson doesn’t think Moore is good enough to even be 4th choice CB (which then asks the supplementary question why keep him?) then you could offer Mariappa a year’s extension on the same money as now & still be £27k up on the deal.

As for Famara, we have Wells, Martin & Semenyo under contract for 21/22, if we take up Weimann’s option I’m not convinced that we need a replacement at all.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

We certainly don’t need to replace all the out of contract players, as we currently have far too many.

Here’s an example, we currently have Mawson on loan (probably £25k a week), Baker (£20k) & Mariappa on about £10k.

I’d argue with Kalas, Vyner & Moore under contract that if we brought in one replacement clear first choice CB & paid him £18k a week, (which is huge money in a Covid influenced transfer market), we have just saved £37k & are worse off in what way?

If Pearson doesn’t think Moore is good enough to even be 4th choice CB (which then asks the supplementary question why keep him?) then you could offer Mariappa a year’s extension on the same money as now & still be £27k up on the deal.

As for Famara, we have Wells, Martin & Semenyo under contract for 21/22, if we take up Weimann’s option I’m not convinced that we need a replacement at all.

Ian said on FBC that if Moore's not good enough to be first choice he shouldn't be here. I'm not sure. Aren't there players (perhaps including Bakinson, Massengo, Semenyo) who you think, they're not the finished article yet but they're close enough to keep them in the squad, as opposed to sending them on loan (with all the ups and downs that can go with that) or losing patience and getting rid.

11 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Going to cost a fortune to replace the OOC players. 

Getting into a position where famara just walks is just mental. 1 in 3 goals per game strikers cost loads 

No it's not.  The market will shrink and it is a buyer's market.  We are in a position of strength.  Just need to have decision makers who know what they're doing.  

Potentially we could sign a very good, first choice Championship CH on £12k per week in the current prevailing circumstances. Mariappa is only on £6K pw or so apparently.  I'd keep him if that is true as he would be useful back up when we need a calm head.  Add Robbie Cundy into the mix and I think we should be okay.  What worries me most is Moore who has gone backwards and is past being viewed as just promising. If he was progressing properly,he would have nailed down the CB position next to Kalas this season. Hopefully NP can sort him out.   

That would basically mean Baker & Mawson out out (£50k pw) replaced by someone on £12k pw.  

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Areas to recruit:

Right Back

Centre Back

Nurse (22 / 2023)

Morton (22 / 2023)

Z.Smith (20 / extend)

Bell (19 / extend)

Pearson (19 / extend)

Ow.Edwards (20 / 2022)

Op.Edwards (22 / option)

Janneh (21 / 2023)

Conway (18 / extend)

Look to Sell:

Let go:

Hunt (30 - OOC)

Webb (20 - OOC):

Mariappa (34 - OOC)

Watkins (30 - OOC)

Lansbury (30 - OOC)

Paterson (29 - OOC)

Diedhiou (28 - OOC)

other considerations:

You did so well Dave, but Baker can absolutely do one for me.  Get a player in who will play more than 20 games a season .

I don't believe that strike force has the quality to get promotion, just my opinion. They don't score enough goals, famara was the only consistent and and not replacing him with a quality striker I think will be a massive mistake.

7 minutes ago, The Bard said:

You did so well Dave, but Baker can absolutely do one for me.  Get a player in who will play more than 20 games a season .

5 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I don't believe that strike force has the quality to get promotion, just my opinion. They don't score enough goals, famara was the only consistent and and not replacing him with a quality striker I think will be a massive mistake.

Massively agree with these points. Baker should be replaced by a left footed ball playing centre back in the 23-28 age range.

We also need a striker who is competent in and around the box and can lead the line on his own if required.

I appreciate there isn't a showroom that we walk in and pick off the shelf, but frankly, if these two recruitment needs (plus a right back) haven't been thoroughly researched, if not already all but tied up, then it just highlights how appalling our succession planning is. 

We should be in a position whereby Pearson can ask for options on striker recruitment and be presented with 3/4 thoroughly scouted options. If not, what the hell has our recruitment set up been doing in the past 12 months? 

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

We should be in a position whereby Pearson can ask for options on striker recruitment and be presented with 3/4 thoroughly scouted options. If not, what the hell has our recruitment set up been doing in the past 12 months? 

If only this club worked to that level of organisation. It took 6 weeks to appoint Holden as a Lee Johnsons replacement, I'd be amazed if our player recruitment was that slick.

Archived