IGNORED

Congratulations Sam Pearson

Lrrr

Think all of the young debutants this season are a bit off the mark and wouldn't be in there if not for injuries. 

Hopefully SL sees this and invests this summer as we need a helluva lot of new players to get near promotion. 

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Congrats to the young man....but it showed the gulf between Champ and U23 football.  He tried hard, worked hard, made a few contributions, so fair play to him.

Yeah a big jump but perhaps not as big as some may think, he didn't look massively out of depth and struggling, perhaps a sign that one or two other players could do with a chance to check if they're up to standard if our season continues to fizzle out. However there were a few occasions he got into great positions but the player on the ball chose a different pass, 1st half I can't remember who was on the ball but played right to Semenyo when he was a bit crowded, pass left and SP could have been into the box. 2nd half Nahki has the ball in line with the edge of the box, chooses to play cross the ball into the box with 1 player in there and a number of QPR players rather than release Sam down the right into a crossing position.

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Yeah a big jump but perhaps not as big as some may think, he didn't look massively out of depth and struggling, perhaps a sign that one or two other players could do with a chance to check if they're up to standard if our season continues to fizzle out. However there were a few occasions he got into great positions but the player on the ball chose a different pass, 1st half I can't remember who was on the ball but played right to Semenyo when he was a bit crowded, pass left and SP could have been into the box. 2nd half Nahki has the ball in line with the edge of the box, chooses to play cross the ball into the box with 1 player in there and a number of QPR players rather than release Sam down the right into a crossing position.

As we've seen previously there's also a big difference between doing it for part of a game and on a regular basis 

Like most of our youngsters he needs time lower down the leagues first 

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

As we've seen previously there's also a big difference between doing it for part of a game and on a regular basis 

Like most of our youngsters he needs time lower down the leagues first 

No better time to see whether some of the group who've appeared in match day squads can cut it than with a season fizzling out to a mid table finish and if nothing else may help them get better loan moves.

• Admin
1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

No better time to see whether some of the group who've appeared in match day squads can cut it than with a season fizzling out to a mid table finish and if nothing else may help them get better loan moves.

I think the majority of us know enough about the game to answer that.

If it wasn't for our injuries they wouldn't be at the club 

45 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Great to see another academy player making a debut, up to 5 debuts this season and 2 further league debuts. Some bright and intelligent play from Sam, hopefully will see more of him this season.

Yes , congratulations to the lad . This isn’t a dig at any of the young lads that’s made their debut this season but, they’re all miles off being part of the first team squad atm and rightly so   . It’s given them a chance due to injury & none  of them have let themselves down . The futures bright with these lads , but everyone one of them need a couple of years progressing through the leagues on loan. The academy should however be praised massively . Image if we didn’t have them this season to fill in when needed. 

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Yes , congratulations to the lad . This isn’t a dig at any of the young lads that’s made their debut this season but, they’re all miles off being part of the first team squad atm and rightly so   . It’s given them a chance due to injury & none  of them have let themselves down . The futures bright with these lads , but everyone one of them may need a couple of years progressing through the leagues on loan. The academy should however be praised massively . Image if we didn’t have them this season to fill in when needed. 

Small adjustment for me above, I don't think the loan pathway should be looked at as what needs to be done to justify a space in the first team squad, its why I'm saying we've got an opportunity in the last dozen or so games to see which may be worth (if any) keeping around our squad rather than out on loan. I'm not saying a few starting each game or anything but maybe half an our here, a half there etc, at what point do we say is it worth playing Famara still if he won't be here next year and would be better to see Antoine/Nahki together if we're playing a 2 with Britton/Conway/Bell on the bench out of choice? If even one of the players from the whole batch shows they could be up to it then it could save us money this summer with regards to signing another player.

To me it's not "GREAT" if an academy player plays, it's great if they're good enough to help us win games. Or generate a profit.

I think most of us are smart enough to see through the "x many debuts" "x average of players from the academy in  the squad" when we know they wouldn't be there if not for the injuries. It's annoying on broadcasts to do it, but I get why the club wants to put the narrative out there.

Pearson looked ok. What I want to see from a young player is those flashes of talent which you hope become more consistent over time. Some good movement, some good effort today from the lad. Of the definitely shouldn't be near the first team players I think he had the most promising performance over Towler, Edwards x2, and Bell. Freddie Hinds was exciting too...

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Small adjustment for me above, I don't think the loan pathway should be looked at as what needs to be done to justify a space in the first team squad, its why I'm saying we've got an opportunity in the last dozen or so games to see which may be worth (if any) keeping around our squad rather than out on loan. I'm not saying a few starting each game or anything but maybe half an our here, a half there etc, at what point do we say is it worth playing Famara still if he won't be here next year and would be better to see Antoine/Nahki together if we're playing a 2 with Britton/Conway/Bell on the bench out of choice? If even one of the players from the whole batch shows they could be up to it then it could save us money this summer with regards to signing another player.

I think they as a coaching set up with tinman & the academy coaches know they all need to go out on loan. It’s ok someone playing well on adrenaline for 30 minutes but it’s a different story playing a few games . A prime example was Edwards away at Brentford. Starts brightly & was like a wasp around I think Dalsgaard  to start with. After ten minutes he just blocked his runs , edwards bounced off him and quite quickly fizzled out of the game. That will happen with all of them due to immaturity football wise . They need to learn that side of the game but not in the championship as it will swallow them up. 
Also , SL hasn’t employed a experienced manager to come in & be a baby sitter , he’s brought him in to get us promoted within the next few years . It’s not a dig at any of the boys , but  you have to be exceptional to last a season in the championship & be part of a promotion chasing team. 

20 minutes ago, Prinny said:

To me it's not "GREAT" if an academy player plays, it's great if they're good enough to help us win games. Or generate a profit.

I think most of us are smart enough to see through the "x many debuts" "x average of players from the academy in  the squad" when we know they wouldn't be there if not for the injuries. It's annoying on broadcasts to do it, but I get why the club wants to put the narrative out there.

Pearson looked ok. What I want to see from a young player is those flashes of talent which you hope become more consistent over time. Some good movement, some good effort today from the lad. Of the definitely shouldn't be near the first team players I think he had the most promising performance over Towler, Edwards x2, and Bell. Freddie Hinds was exciting too...

I agree with the jist of what you are saying but I think time will show that these lads getting game time will be the one positive from this season. Having tasted the standard they need to get to this season they will no doubt be given an opportunity to go down a level next season and properly learn the game in a less brutal environment than the Championship and by the time they get back with us at least a couple of them will hopefully be able to do what Zac Vyner has done this season and establish themselves.

I have seen the early first team games of so many young "stars in the making". It is pretty nigh impossible for fans to judge them on their first match performance, but I sincerely believe that we are seeing the green shoots from those who have made their debuts this season.

Many will disagree with me when I say we should keep them at City and not send the most promising on loan the League One or Two. My opinion is that we will find those who are good enough earlier than via a loan in a lower league.

Loans for Garland, Gow, Tainton, Ritchie, Doherty would have held their development back instead of being in the first team squad even on the margins.

Another six or seven games for us this season will do more for Towler's career than 30 games for mid League Two next season.

13 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I have seen the early first team games of so many young "stars in the making". It is pretty nigh impossible for fans to judge them on their first match performance, but I sincerely believe that we are seeing the green shoots from those who have made their debuts this season.

Many will disagree with me when I say we should keep them at City and not send the most promising on loan the League One or Two. My opinion is that we will find those who are good enough earlier than via a loan in a lower league.

Loans for Garland, Gow, Tainton, Ritchie, Doherty would have held their development back instead of being in the first team squad even on the margins.

Another six or seven games for us this season will do more for Towler's career than 30 games for mid League Two next season.

Personally disagree. I believe playing around better players can bring you up to a better level but if they keep playing in a stuttering City side and getting exposed week in week out then it won't benefit them

Getting a full season of adult football at a half decent lower league team will be beneficial

Of course if Pearson can get us playing well, winning games and still blood some of the youth then I agree, but not in this current side.

Tins posted this earlier.

Looks promising, frustratingly i see two occasions where he’s in a good position but senior players did not pass to him for whatever reason, the first one is definitely fam second I think is Wells - easy to pick holes with hindsight. Also, I see “green shoots” of a potentially lethal link up with KP. His movement off the ball looks menacing and the lad will only get better with games as his composure improves. 

I haven’t read all this thread yet but how was his defensive game yesterday?

This young man is tough enough as shown when he held off a QPRs player who was trying to get to the ball from behind him. Also when he ran from just inside their half to their penalty area to tackle one of their defenders to force a throw in. No fear. He's quick, good under pressure in tight situations and accurate passing. I'd let him have a free central position just behind two mobile attackers as I think he has the ability to play them in. He's also fit as they come and can be attacking one minute and defending the next. Leave him in the side. Watch the replays.

Archived