IGNORED

The Massengo Conundrum

Midlands Robin

Once again, today, Han-Noah Massengo's name cropped up on the match day thread with most people asking what he has to do to get a game.

It's hard to believe that Massengo is now nearing the end of his second season at the club. He arrived with a price tag that made him the second highest transfer in City history at a reported 7.2 Million pounds and a record that included a champions league appearance, a league debut against PSG and a number of youth international appearances for France. That is a lot of expectation to be carried on a young man’s shoulders.

To date, Massengo has made around 40 league appearances for City but the majority of these will have been from the bench. He has already played under 3 managers in his 18 months at the club and has so far failed to string together a run of starts under any of them. Yes, Pearson has hardly had time to get his feet under his desk but perhaps it was telling today that when a change in midfield was required on two occasions, he looked first to Lansbury and then gave a debut to Sam Pearson.

On paper, a 30-year-old, barely fit Henri Lansbury who has made as many appearances for Villa in 4 years as Massengo has made for us in 18 months, should not be keeping Massengo out of the side. The same could be said of Sam Pearson.

When we look a little deeper into Massengo's time at Monaco, the bulk of his appearances were for their B team. He made 3 league starts for Monaco and his much-discussed champions league appearance came as a sub when his team were already 4-0 down. So, is it all that it really seems?

On the other hand, he's not yet 20 years old. Listening to a recent interview with Brian Tinnion, he spoke about academy players not being fully ready for regular Championship starts until they are at least 23.

Massengo was quite exciting to watch when he first arrived at the gate and certainly in those early starts, he was full of energy and committed himself to tackles, putting himself about and winning plenty of ball. My opinion (not that this counts for a hill of beans) in those early starts was that he was a solid midfielder, good at breaking up midfield play and winning the ball back but he lacked a bit of ability to read the game going forward. Winning the ball is one thing but knowing what to do with it when you've got it is another skill entirely. Fun to watch he may have been but a replacement for the hard work of Marlon Pack? I didn't see it. That's not to say he wasn't a great prospect.

The question is, where are we with him now? he needs a run in the side to develop and grow as a player but clearly, he's being kept out of the side by others. He may benefit from a long loan but with our recent injury disasters he's needed here.

Will he break through as a regular starter because 7.2 million pounds is one hell of a punt to take on a player?

From what I've read and seen the fee was around £2m. And I think he played for the French U18s, or whatever level it was, as an attacking MF.
I think he's got a lot about him, built himself up during the first lockdown and has a couple of good games recently. I'd like him to get a run to see how he beds in. Not sure why he's not been given a chance. Hope NP gives him a run out Saturday, I have a feeling he will be very good, for someone.

I’m a big fan and don’t think he’s let us down when called upon, I know he works really hard in training and has a brilliant attitude and loves Bristol.

I think it’s too early to say what Pearson thinks of him, I don’t trust his assistants to pass on the right information and I think he’ll get a go soon.

Today he was just what we were looking for, especially when a jaded Bakinson went off. 
I can remember commenting on a similar Bobby Reid thread years ago and countered suggestions that he was league one at best by saying he’d play in the Prem one day. I’m saying the same now.

To me he seems to have become slower and lost his touch since he bulked up. I have a bad feeling that the club have encouraged him to focus on building his strength to cope with this league and thrown away what he was good at when he arrived.

They seem to be a bit obsessed with players being strong as opposed to skillful. I recall similar things about COD and encouraging him to be more physical.

17 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

To me he seems to have become slower and lost his touch since he bulked up. I have a bad feeling that the club have encouraged him to focus on building his strength to cope with this league and thrown away what he was good at when he arrived.

They seem to be a bit obsessed with players being strong as opposed to skillful. I recall similar things about COD and encouraging him to be more physical.

I thought post-Xmas he looked like he’s really-found his agility.

There was talk on Wednesday that NP was a bit cheesed off with his casual attitude to getting ready to coming on as sub (albeit 88th minute).

It was a bit strange for Sam Pearson to get the nod.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought post-Xmas he looked like he’s really-found his agility.

There was talk on Wednesday that NP was a bit cheesed off with his casual attitude to getting ready to coming on as sub (albeit 88th minute).

It was a bit strange for Sam Pearson to get the nod.

Yes, there may have been a bit of an effect of bulking up around the summertime but as you say, post Xmas he’s not done much wrong in the minutes he’s had. 
As I say, too early to assess Pearson’s thoughts but we shouldn’t have to wait too long 

If I was Massengo, I'd be moving on to try to resurrect my career, which  has stalled last season, and now ground to a halt.

There's a player just under the surface.

A bloody good one.

I think if he goes, he will absolutely become a top-class player with time and good coaching.

Put it another way - after all this mucking him around since he's been here by all 3 managers - why WOULD he want to stay.

Maybe he has a rank attitude, I dunno, but when you are behind Lansbury and a debutant, then the writing is clearly on the wall.

The same could also apply to Sammy Szmodics  - who surely after this season, will move to a bigger club. Again.

When you think about it, this is one of the worst clubs he could have come to in terms of the type of team we have become over the last two or three seasons.

We have become extremely poor with our ball retention, resulting in the ball bypassing the midfield in most home games.

Poor possession stats in most games.

Unwillingness to take risks coached into the team by Johnson and Holden resulting in our horrendous shots on target/off target stats at home over the last 2/3 seasons.

To me, this guy is clearly an attacking midfielder with a good engine to get up and down the pitch so he can do the donkey work at times when called on alongside a ball winner. You can see by his movement and positional awareness that he has the ability to think 2 or 3 passes ahead.

I'd be very worried if an academy prospect came on in front of me. I mean WTF must have he thought!!! If that's not a telling sign it's time to move on, I don't know what is.

14 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Lets be honest here, the last 10 games, hes played, ive seen him give away the ball infront of goal, thats led to 4 or 5 diffrent goals.

Cant see nige playing him.

Eh? You sure? Let’s be honest here, I think you’ve just made that up

2 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Quite agree jay, i expect his agent to get him a move this year.

That is a telling sign.

Not sure what contract he has, probably 3 years. Someone out there is gonna take a punt on his potential and pay us back the 1 or 2 million we bought him for. To those out there thinking a championship side would pay around 7.5 million for an 18yo with hardly any first team experience need their head read!

4 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

So i didnt see that against brentford, watford rotherham and it might have been norwich?

You reported 3 of the incidents yourself dave.

Guess we are both seeing things!

You said “Gave the ball away in front of goal”.

Thats very different to for example Brentford when I think he could’ve done those first 5 yards with more intensity to stop Fosu exposing Mariappa for Toney’s goal.

I honestly have blanked Watford from memory, it was a bloody awful.  

Norwich and Rotherham he wasn’t on the pitch when their goals went in.

10 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

So i didnt see that against brentford, watford rotherham and it might have been norwich?

You reported 3 of the incidents yourself dave.

Guess we are both seeing things!

Rotherham was longer than 10 ago, so that leaves 2 or 3. I can't remember all the goals but pretty sure he hasn't given away 4 or 5 in from of goal 

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

41 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes, there may have been a bit of an effect of bulking up around the summertime but as you say, post Xmas he’s not done much wrong in the minutes he’s had. 
As I say, too early to assess Pearson’s thoughts but we shouldn’t have to wait too long 

People always say that players have ‘bulked up’ as if they’ve randomly added 2 stone of weight. Massengo hasn’t. He’s still very slight.

Any size or weight he’s added would’ve been mainly natural growth as he’s still growing. 

2 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Memory loss come on dave, your going to have to do better than that.

Seriously, I don’t recall him giving the ball away outside our box  in the last 10 games that have led to 4 or 5 goals.  The games you suggest don’t bear that out.

Watford. Taylor Moore goal 1, Pato / Vyner goal 2, deflection off Moore goal 3, Massengo didn’t track with enough intensity goal 4, Massengo tried to intercept goal 5 although not really his fault trying to screen. Goal 6 can’t remember who got robbed 80 yards from our goal.

Archived