IGNORED

The Massengo Conundrum

Midlands Robin

39 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I dont mind a joke, dont call me ill bred, big mistake btw.

As for dont debate me why?

Banned user, wind your neck in sunshine.

Hey dave, do you agree about readings 3rd goal that day?

You know that one when he missed the tackle and ended up on his ass?

As for him vs scott sinclair, just watch that one.

But you said gave them ball away on the edge of box that led to 4/5 goals in his last 10 games.  Reading was 18 games ago!  And it wasn’t giving away the ball on the edge of our box.  You set the parameters, then changed them because you were incorrect with your statement.  I can’t help debate something that’s clearly inaccurate.

How many goals has Kalas given away by not marking, same with Vyner.  Shit happens.  Players make good runs, defenders get blocked off, someone allows someone an easy cross, but the “blame” is often attributed to one person.  Someone misses a tackle, someone doesn’t even make a tackle, etc.  Lansbury picked up a yellow for fouling a player on the edge of the box, so let’s all slate Lansbury (or whoever is current scapegoat), but let’s let Semenyo off who let him run from the halfway line and could’ve brought him down 3 or 4 times!

Get into NP-mode....it’s a collective.

You obviously don’t rate Massengo.  That’s fine, but just state that, rather than make up “FACTS”.

On 06/03/2021 at 22:33, JonDolman said:

I think he has amazing technique and the right attitude. I think we have to be patient. Really it shouldn't be any different to the top young players coming through who are a similar age. I don't believe he cost anywhere near that figure.

I think there is a very good player in there somewhere but not one suited to the Championship.

In France football is almost a no contact sport so his stature is not so important

You also get a lot more time on the ball

For me this is another case of very poor recruitment and trying to buy to sell.

It's funny how some are saying when Pearson, an "Academy lad" came on it shows the "writings on the wall". Pearson is only a couple of months younger than HNM. He's being criticised because of the fee we paid for him which isn't the lad's fault. In age terms he's the same as the academy players who are being given chances in the first team. Although he's played a lot more games than them he's still a young lad playing in a foreign country and needs to be given some leeway because of this. I've been watching City for over 50 years and saw all the young players come through that got us promoted to Div 1 in '76 and his skill level is up with the best of those, we will regret it when he shows how good he is elsewhere if we don't give him a fair chance.

9 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Dave i dont think you wish to discuss, those other 2 incidents, that also slipped your mind.

Dave yes, im aware it was 18 games ago but he was at fault for a goal.

If that was anyone for readings 3rd goal. or him being at walking pace against sinclair they would have got slaughtered.

ha ha I'm just watching that Reading goal now. (1.40)

So first of all Jay Dasilva gets caught upfield out of position and Massengo has to chase back to cover him, Massengo misses challenge about 40 yards up the pitch. 

Taylor Moore then makes a half hearted attempt to get near to their player who megs him with a pass into Joao

Joao turns Zak Vyner far too easily and finishes into the bottom left corner. 

Massengo maybe could've stayed on his feet, but it was pathetic all around & it's harsh to blame him for that goal alone.

Preston penalty & leading up to (18 secounds). Kalas miles out of position, O'Dowda doesn't close down, Nagy misses interception attempt, Moore does Taylor Moore things and sticks a foot in when Sinclair going away from goal, not sure that one is entirely on Massengo either. 

24 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Dave i dont think you wish to discuss, those other 2 incidents, that also slipped your mind.

If that was anyone for readings 3rd goal. or him being at walking pace against sinclair they would have got slaughtered.

I’m struggling to think of a single City player who hasn’t been at fault for at least one goal conceded in the last 18 games. Even Bentley. 

34 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

See @Carey 6 post.

Re PNE goal....not even his man, but Kalas’s....go and watch.  Kalas switches off and tries to pass his man on.

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But you said gave them ball away on the edge of box that led to 4/5 goals in his last 10 games.  Reading was 18 games ago!  And it wasn’t giving away the ball on the edge of our box.  You set the parameters, then changed them because you were incorrect with your statement.  I can’t help debate something that’s clearly inaccurate.

How many goals has Kalas given away by not marking, same with Vyner.  Shit happens.  Players make good runs, defenders get blocked off, someone allows someone an easy cross, but the “blame” is often attributed to one person.  Someone misses a tackle, someone doesn’t even make a tackle, etc.  Lansbury picked up a yellow for fouling a player on the edge of the box, so let’s all slate Lansbury (or whoever is current scapegoat), but let’s let Semenyo off who let him run from the halfway line and could’ve brought him down 3 or 4 times!

Get into NP-mode....it’s a collective.

You obviously don’t rate Massengo.  That’s fine, but just state that, rather than make up “FACTS”.

We seem to have given away lots of chances (and goals) from poor marking at set pieces. Kalas and Vyner have definitely let men slip past on multiple occasions. Like you say, it happens, but it's something we could do with addressing.

8 minutes ago, KegCity said:

We seem to have given away lots of chances (and goals) from poor marking at set pieces. Kalas and Vyner have definitely let men slip past on multiple occasions. Like you say, it happens, but it's something we could do with addressing.

Indeed.  Zonal marking got a bad press a few years ago, mainly because it was new in this country.

There is a need to understand when it’s good to go zonal or m2m, or a combo of both.  QPR were so good at blocking on Saturday that m2m gets picked off, especially with good delivery.

Definitely something to learn.

Not his man no, but he went past him like he wasnt there.

Let me tell you now, if somebody on the other team ended up on their ass we go on run down a exposed channel and score.

We would would be laughing our heads off.

I recall carey8 is one the chatters here, who thinks, this midfield general is worth 15 to 30 million.

I didnt expect his fanclub, to warrant any blame whatsoever, on the said goals.

Unreal.

Just now, Oh Louie louie said:

Let me tell you now, if somebody on the other team ended up on their ass we go on run down a exposed channel and score.

I recall carey8 is one the chatters here, who thinks, this midfield general is worth 15 to 30 million.

Unreal.

Ok, put a blindfold on, and when when Kalas shouts for you to turn behind you to pick up his man, you see how well you react.

You started a shitty composed “fact” that has been shot down.  I’m fine that you don’t rate Massengo, but you blaming him outright for goals (outside of your initial “fact”) shows your agenda.

All a bit sad really.

3 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Put on a blindfold on

How about staying on your feet dave, like a good midfielder?

My mistake was mistaking rotherham for reading, nothing else.

My facts arent shitty dave, he had a hand in all those 4 goals.

You got all these machines, and you still cant see it.

Id sack them.

Yawn!

32 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Unreal.

After his early season form I don't think people were miles off in suggesting we could have a £15m-£20m player on our hands, many were getting carried away, even national journos like Henry Winter & Secret Scout were talking about him. 

We had 3 & a half years left on his deal & had he kept up that form it would've took silly money to let him go. 

I also said twice on that thread, and now for a third time, nobody will be suggesting he is worth that now, but at the time it seemed reasonable. 

4 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Making things up am i?

So he wasnt at fault for one of brentfords goals? 

Didnt lose his man at watford?

Didnt lose his man again, for readings 3rd goal when we lost 3 1?

Find the other goals when i got time.

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Problem is, as others pointed out, that your initial statement was wrong. He didn't give the ball away on the edge of the box, and it was over more than 10 games. Then you moved the goal posts and kept arguing.

Yes, you were making things up intially.

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

It's funny how some are saying when Pearson, an "Academy lad" came on it shows the "writings on the wall". Pearson is only a couple of months younger than HNM. He's being criticised because of the fee we paid for him which isn't the lad's fault. In age terms he's the same as the academy players who are being given chances in the first team. Although he's played a lot more games than them he's still a young lad playing in a foreign country and needs to be given some leeway because of this. I've been watching City for over 50 years and saw all the young players come through that got us promoted to Div 1 in '76 and his skill level is up with the best of those, we will regret it when he shows how good he is elsewhere if we don't give him a fair chance.

Well said. I really hope that if Nigel Pearson stays beyond this season, he steadies the first team performances enough for all under twenty year olds on our books to get some meaningful game time.

Due to current injury situation and the glaringly obvious fact that some of the senior players are not able to perform at the required level, it is necessary to use these youngsters even if it may not be too beneficial.

We as fans must be more aware that young pros get bullied unmercifully by senior opponents and that can cause some horrible mistakes. Just like Gerry Gow and many others, but look at the benefits of rearing our own players as they traditionally give 110% most of the time because they are playing for their Club!

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The quote referred to 'forbidding debates among fools and ill-bred people'.

I note you take umbrage at the second of the two insults, i.e. the insinuation you might be ill-bred, and I consider that fair enough as it is unlikely the poster will have met you and so is in no position to comment on your breeding; in fact, his insinuation was quite rude.

You do not appear to dispute the first of the two insults and, indeed, based on your comments on this thread, that would seem to be fair enough also. 

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Theres, the 4 goals, in the ten games.

Sorry for getting the teams wrong!

Him being worth 30 million, is on par with the time tony pulis said marcus browning is the man to turn our season around.

I don't recall that ever having been stated on this forum, so would suggest that be filed away alongside 'giving away 4 or 5 goals in the last ten games and being substituted at (or before) half-time'.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

The quote referred to 'forbidding debates among fools and ill-bred people'.

I note you take umbrage at the second of the two insults, i.e. the insinuation you might be ill-bred, and I consider that fair enough as it is unlikely the poster will have met you and so is in no position to comment on your breeding; in fact, his insinuation was quite rude.

You do not appear to dispute the first of the two insults and, indeed, based on your comments on this thread, that would seem to be fair enough also. 

I don't recall that ever having been stated on this forum, so would suggest that be filed away alongside 'giving away 4 or 5 goals in the last ten games and being substituted at (or before) half-time'.

To clarify, I didn't suggest either point, although I can still see why it'd be considered rude. Someone else specified that line. It was more an overview of the entire segment. Some conversations aren't worth your time.

50 minutes ago, Banned User said:

To clarify, I didn't suggest either point, although I can still see why it'd be considered rude. Someone else specified that line. It was more an overview of the entire segment. Some conversations aren't worth your time.

I know.

As you state, it was a later poster who copied and highlighted a segment of text from the printed page you posted. 

Nevertheless, I do agree with the sentiment of your final sentence.

My own thought is that Massengo is simply not very good at anything much  

He is pace-less our counter attacks wlll stop if he gets the ball because he can’t go past anyone

hHe plays sideways and particularly backwards on most occasions as he has neither the guile strength and pace to attack and his passing is no better than average when looking up and going forward

He has nothing around the area. He can not shoot or head and has not even come close to adding to his goal tally  which correct me if I’m wrong zero

He has no defensive qualities and is a pointless waste of time when defending. He is poor at tracking players usually looses his man and rarely blocks a cross  

Massengo has a little bit at his feet but is playing way past the level he should be at, at his age, and reminds me of a poor show pony with no rosette  

I’m sorry if I upset people but there it is. Pearson won’t start a player who can’t battle, expect an exit! It was a terrible Miss guided buy in the comparison with Engval Lansbury Tomlin etc  

Very Poor mans LJ I reckon

14 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

He is pace-less our counter attacks wlll stop if he gets the ball because he can’t go past anyone

hHe plays sideways and particularly backwards on most occasions as he has neither the guile strength and pace to attack and his passing is no better than average when looking up and going forward

He has nothing around the area. He can not shoot or head and has not even come close to adding to his goal tally  which correct me if I’m wrong zero

He has no defensive qualities and is a pointless waste of time when defending. He is poor at tracking players usually looses his man and rarely blocks a cross  

Massengo has a little bit at his feet but is playing way past the level he should be at, at his age, and reminds me of a poor show pony with no rosette  

I’m sorry if I upset people but there it is. Pearson won’t start a player who can’t battle, expect an exit! It was a terrible Miss guided buy in the comparison with Engval Lansbury Tomlin etc  

Why would people get upset at this ? It’s just a fan who can’t see a potentially very good player when he sees one 

14 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

A bit harsh but generally I agree.  He can tackle but has annoying habit of winning the ball and then giving it away immediately.

Given his age it will be interesting to see if Pearson rates him as anything more than a fringe player.

Disappointing really as I thought he would much better by now.

Archived