IGNORED

The Massengo Conundrum

Midlands Robin

I thought he was the best player first half, less so 2nd half although did set up the Wells effort I think (?).Gave the ball away really poorly just after half time that set Rotherham away but overall I thought he looked a decent, busy midfielder. I must confess I didn't realise he was only 19 and that he cost £7m, that's an extraordinary amount for a Championship team to spend on an 18 year old. I don't think he could play the single-pivot in a 433 with the nature of the Championship yet. If Walsh improves with fitness then that's the basis of a reasonable, youthful midfield partnership to build with.

11 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

I thought he was the best player first half, less so 2nd half although did set up the Wells effort I think (?).Gave the ball away really poorly just after half time that set Rotherham away but overall I thought he looked a decent, busy midfielder. I must confess I didn't realise he was only 19 and that he cost £7m, that's an extraordinary amount for a Championship team to spend on an 18 year old. I don't think he could play the single-pivot in a 433 with the nature of the Championship yet. If Walsh improves with fitness then that's the basis of a reasonable, youthful midfield partnership to build with.

He won't have cost £7m yet, it was initially about £2.2m upfront with the rest in various clauses, he may have achieved some of the (likely) appearance related clauses however I doubt the others have been activated as they're probably promotion related and potentially French senior squad appearances amongst others

2 hours ago, M.D said:

I think a midfield 3 of Williams, Massengo and Walsh could be the basis of our side next season..

I think its more likely Williams, Walsh, Palmer if I'm honest with Nagy/Massengo rotating in (regularly I would add), Vyner covering midfield as well with Bakinson doing the Liam Walsh 40+ games in league 1 loan to try and improve his consistency.

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

According to Gregor..

"Southampton, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Bournemouth and Norwich have all been at Ashton Gate recently watching the Robins duo, plus Han-Noah Massengo."

The other 2 being Semenyo and Bakinson.

Scout Report;

Bakinson - haven't seen him.

Semenyo - okay off the bench.

Massengo - great industry, Good technique, fabulous hair. Sign him.

2 hours ago, Gazred said:

According to Gregor..

"Southampton, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Bournemouth and Norwich have all been at Ashton Gate recently watching the Robins duo, plus Han-Noah Massengo."

The other 2 being Semenyo and Bakinson.

That can’t possibly be true. Didn’t they realise @Oh Louie louie already decided he was crap?

Same applies to Semenyo, they could just consult @Better Red.

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

I would think all of these players will benefit from a settled and consistent approach . The volatile way we have been approaching games these last years must be an additional challenge for players finding their way. Of course it will depend on how we set up with Nige, but from what others have said, a solid defensive back 4 will feature, plus some form of central 3 in front, with either a holding player behind them, or a variable 3 around them, either in front or outside wide. At the moment it is hard in many of these players cases to know where their best position would be . There was one comment from Nige that was brief but potentially one of the most important. It was about getting players to do what they can do rather than asking them to do what they can't (or struggle with). HNM is a good example of that, build a foundation, then elaborate. He is still very very young, and looks to me ,and I appreciate others have a different view, like a player that has great potential. 

Interesting that Massengo has played 3 on the spin, but also replaced Palmer in the AM spot when he’s gone off.  This suggests to me that NP might have a good handle on HNM’s skill set and preferred position inside a month than LJ or DH did.

@ralphindevon anything to add on recent upturn in HNM minutes.

Re Bakinson, clever from NP to leave him out so scouts can’t watch him! ???

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Similar credit should be given to our medical team. If it wasn't for their work this season, scouts might have snapped up half our squad.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting that Massengo has played 3 on the spin, but also replaced Palmer in the AM spot when he’s gone off.  This suggests to me that NP might have a good handle on HNM’s skill set and preferred position inside a month than LJ or DH did.

@ralphindevon anything to add on recent upturn in HNM minutes.

He’s a lad that lives for football and all he wants to do is play, I’d be surprised if he left us just to sit on a bench at a Premier league club

As you say, interesting last 3 games, especially as when NP arrived HNM was getting overlooked. Which makes me wonder what Holden’s assistants told NP when he arrived. Do we have any news on who his assistants might be if he stays? 

2 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Similar credit should be given to our medical team. If it wasn't for their work this season, scouts might have snapped up half our squad.

Also, who persuaded Bents to Chuck in a couple of howlers just when we thought he’d be heading to the Prem?

He is the same age as Owura Edwards I don't see anyone clamouring that he's not good enough or needs a move away from the club. People don't realise how much he still can develop. I see him as someone not ready to start just yet but knocking on the door. People don't realise how young 19 is, I saw Vardy talking about how mentally he wasn't ready for competitive football until 22. Special talent in the making, back him.

Anyone have radio bristol on saturday?

Chris said he cant tackle to save his life/

Here would be my scouting report from the rotherahm game.

Reckless challenge, in first half, lucky to stay on field.

Ran around a lot, one good pass all afternoon.

Gives the ball away in key areas, we were extremely lucky in one incident when he was robbed, rotherham, didnt go on to score.

Then subbed, after rotherhams 2nd goal.

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Anyone have radio bristol on saturday?

Chris said he cant tackle to save his life/

Here would be my scouting report from the rotherahm game.

Reckless challenge, in first half, lucky to stay on field.

Ran around a lot, one good pass all afternoon.

Gives the ball away in key areas, we were extremely lucky in one incident when he was robbed, rotherham, didnt go on to score.

Then subbed, after rotherhams 2nd goal.

Good to see you’ve eased off the gas a bit - posting negatively about HNM at 5am!

Seriously though, what would be your realistic expectations for him? Would you expect him to start each game?

People actually forgetting these are youngsters actually holding their own in the championship ffs. Careful what you wish for. Wasn’t long ago we were bottom of league one and we’re dreaming of this scenario. The fact that we have numerous young player around the age of 20 or less actually capable of playing in this league (Which btw is one of the toughest and best supported leagues in the world) is a massive thing And shows the progress we have made as a club. We’ve bought a youngster from Monaco with champions league experience ffs. Give the lad time to develop. Tbh he will reach heights far beyond this club.

59 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

People actually forgetting these are youngsters actually holding their own in the championship ffs. Careful what you wish for. Wasn’t long ago we were bottom of league one and we’re dreaming of this scenario. The fact that we have numerous young player around the age of 20 or less actually capable of playing in this league (Which btw is one of the toughest and best supported leagues in the world) is a massive thing And shows the progress we have made as a club. We’ve bought a youngster from Monaco with champions league experience ffs. Give the lad time to develop. Tbh he will reach heights far beyond this club.

Exactly. Fortunately this seems to represent the majority view I think. You just get a few who enjoy picking at young players for some reason. 

Obviously they’re not immune from criticism, but posters actively posting about them with an agenda gets weird.

15 hours ago, RedNachos said:

He is the same age as Owura Edwards I don't see anyone clamouring that he's not good enough or needs a move away from the club. People don't realise how much he still can develop. I see him as someone not ready to start just yet but knocking on the door. People don't realise how young 19 is, I saw Vardy talking about how mentally he wasn't ready for competitive football until 22. Special talent in the making, back him.

This is the main reason he should escape any planned large scale clear out of the squad.

He isn’t even 20 until July, by that time he will have played circa 50 league games for us & whilst I remain to be convinced he should be a first choice even next season, he is definitely one I would keep around & use as a squad option.

I think NP is the biggest factor is HNM form it seems like he knows the job he's doing whereas under LJ and DH it didn't seem like there was a system in place. 

I think he'll form part of the main midfield next season (if he doesn't go to the Premier league in the summer) he's still young, learning and with the right coaching (which he seems to be getting) will only improve him. 

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

100% pass accuracy apparently which is an amazing stat

That can't be true. He had a few sketchy moments in the first 15 minutes, then really grew into the game with sheer endeavour.

17 minutes ago, mozo said:

That can't be true. He had a few sketchy moments in the first 15 minutes, then really grew into the game with sheer endeavour.

Yep, in fairness Wyscout hasn’t updated yet, so not sure of the source used by BP.  But he had a good game yesterday.

4 hours ago, Gazred said:

Very impressive, including one beautifully flighted ball to put Semenyo in.

That was by a mile the highlight of the game, superb play, just a shame Antoine couldn’t cap it with a better finish.

Archived