IGNORED

The Massengo Conundrum

Midlands Robin

HNMs passing was a lot more effective against Stoke which was always my main observation about his play. He spread the ball much more effectively and his defence splitting ball over the top for Semenyo was lovely.

It certainly seems like he's now one of the first names on the team sheet these days. 

It's great to see him developing and hopefully next season he's going to be a key midfielder for us.

He just needs a regular, experienced partner alongside him who isn't Lansbury.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

His best performance ever for us?

Like Rene says, he now reads the game so well. He knows where to position himself, he knows what to do when the ball comes to him.

He was already very strong for his age when he came here, but still only 19, he wins physical battles against players much older than him.

When we are passing the ball I feel most calm when he gets it. I don't feel calm when some of the others get it!

First half he was putting out fires in defensive areas, and it seemed like we could only get things going (very rarely) when Massengo got forward.

For someone so young, he is performing at very high levels. Incredible signing. What a fantastic work ethic and determination he has to learn and improve. 

I said on here he was a one man midfield in the first half. Bit harsh on Lansbury maybe, but to be fair Lansbury improved a lot second half and that could have been down to us being on front foot more. We were quite deep first half I think.

Next season Massengo and one other, probably Williams our midfield pair. Massengo should only get better, which makes me wonder how good he might become!

The lad is 19 and class, he's improving game on game with a run in the first team and NP coaching him..

NP polishing that uncut diamond

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

His best performance ever for us?

Like Rene says, he now reads the game so well. He knows where to position himself, he knows what to do when the ball comes to him.

He was already very strong for his age when he came here, but still only 19, he wins physical battles against players much older than him.

When we are passing the ball I feel most calm when he gets it. I don't feel calm when some of the others get it!

First half he was putting out fires in defensive areas, and it seemed like we could only get things going (very rarely) when Massengo got forward.

For someone so young, he is performing at very high levels. Incredible signing. What a fantastic work ethic and determination he has to learn and improve. 

I said on here he was a one man midfield in the first half. Bit harsh on Lansbury maybe, but to be fair Lansbury improved a lot second half and that could have been down to us being on front foot more. We were quite deep first half I think.

Next season Massengo and one other, probably Williams our midfield pair. Massengo should only get better, which makes me wonder how good he might become!

He is Terrier like out of possession and composed on it.

He'll be playing top flight football in the next few seasons, I'm sure of that.

Can't believe some don't see it.

On 20/03/2021 at 17:02, Prinny said:

Trying to think of academy players, who played a reasonable amount at a young age 19 ish, who I didn't think had any special qualities. Joe Burnell. There we go, that's the proof then. Your need to make things up is funny. You can just disagree.

Why would I care where they're from? What incentive are you making up for me to do so?

How much do they cost, how much do they offer, do they have traits that I think are worth investing in. That's it. No agenda,

Best player again as per several games since you last posted here.

These youngsters seem to have the ability to improve.  How bizarre!!!!

Just a little shot out to both S.Pearson and Conway for showing how to use your body and arms....a technical skill a couple of our senior players (and full internationals) could learn.

Yet again one of these stupid threads backfires and a premature judgement on a player is shown to be wrong.

The Semenyo one will be next. Just like the Matt Smith one all those years ago.

Premature snap judgements - especially about young players - are mean spirited and often wrong.

Just let young players develop in their own time.

14 minutes ago, Gazred said:

He is Terrier like out of possession and composed on it.

He'll be playing top flight football in the next few seasons, I'm sure of that.

Can't believe some don't see it.

That first line is exactly what I’ve been trying to articulate in my mind as to his presence today. Spot on?

He has always exuded potential, but NP seems to have pushed him onto another level.

If we are indeed serious about promotion he is the sort of player whom we need to keep.  This could be difficult with other clubs looking, and it could be impossible if we keep to current policy of selling our best players and then replacing them with has beens.

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

He has always exuded potential, but NP seems to have pushed him onto another level.

If we are indeed serious about promotion he is the sort of player whom we need to keep.  This could be difficult with other clubs looking, and it could be impossible if we keep to current policy of selling our best players and then replacing them with has beens.

I've been worrying that He Who In Charge Of All Things Football might have already decided to loan him out next season...

I think it's not unfair to say that if we don't manage to secure Nige then we stand an outstanding chance of losing Han Noah to whoever he takes over next.  I don't think there was a blade of grass he didn't cover today.  One of the most complete performances we've seen in a long time from any player for us.  He was that good.

4 minutes ago, Daniro said:

I've been worrying that He Who In Charge Of All Things Football might have already decided to loan him out next season...

Strange one really, Holden didn't use him, Ashton offered him out for loan and then NP turns him into our first choice CM

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Nonsense, Lansbury was good first half, nowhere near HNM’s level but won a fair few tackles & used the ball smartly.

He is also a sly old devil, a few late challenges, stood over their free kicks to slow it down & in the ref’s ear a lot.

Not going to be popular but I wouldn’t rule out Pearson being interested in seeing if he would accept a deal on lesser terms.

At least he is fit & actually plays games..

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’ve heard from a decent source that Holden didn’t rate him and was happy to sell him 

Shocking really, NP is turning him into a top championship player that will go and play premiership football IMHO

One thing that used to irritate me about him was his tendency to go down easily to try and buy a foul. When it works, fine, but when it doesn`t the opposition are normally in. He seems to have stopped doing that now - I wonder if that`s something that NP has spoken to him about?

Anyway, onwards and upwards young man. You have been a rare diamond lately in the sea of shit that has been this season.

42 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yet again one of these stupid threads backfires and a premature judgement on a player is shown to be wrong.

The Semenyo one will be next. Just like the Matt Smith one all those years ago.

Premature snap judgements - especially about young players - are mean spirited and often wrong.

Just let young players develop in their own time.

It's just weird to me that some people struggle to comment fairly - like "Semenyo needs to improve on his final third decision making" or something, without sticking a "he's a league 2 player at best" / "he'll never make it" on the end.

Massengo has been poor at times, Semenyo has big areas of his game to improve... and it's fair to critique and discuss that. Just really annoying when it then ends up being so black and white as you've said.

Other side is though that I don't like it when people do jump on the fair comments as writing them off or being negative. Have to admit I've written and decided not to post about some of the youngsters when I think they've had a poor game as a result...

Archived