IGNORED

The Massengo Conundrum

Midlands Robin

58 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I think those opportunities are going to be much more limited and much more difficult now, thanks to Brexit.

As with everything related to it, seems to now be incredibly complicated (now that we are free from Brussels bureaucracy, ha ha) but I believe that there is now a complete bar on signing under 18s from an academy elsewhere in Europe. And it’s debatable whether Kodjia or Diedhiou would have had sufficient status to get the necessary permits.  

Work permits for players in the top flight Leagues like France, Belgium, Holland will be pretty automatic.  The points system massively weighted towards those leagues (inc Germany, Spain and Italy obviously).

Go beneath those leagues and it will be very difficult to meet WP requirements.

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Work permits for players in the top flight Leagues like France, Belgium, Holland will be pretty automatic.  The points system massively weighted towards those leagues (inc Germany, Spain and Italy obviously).

Go beneath those leagues and it will be very difficult to meet WP requirements.

Beneath meaning beneath PL presumably?

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Beneath meaning beneath PL presumably?

No, I mean if you look at France 2nd div (whatever it’s called) or the division below Belgium’s Jupiler league, then players won’t pass WP rules.

So you wouldn’t get a Kodjia from Angers because they were French 2nd tier at the time.  Even with their points for getting promoted, Kodjia would have just missed the required points.

Does that help explain it?

2 hours ago, mozo said:

We spotted him when Monaco U19s played City's kids, I believe.

Next question, doesn't the Massengo success (not to mention Kodjia/Diedhiou) help us persuade further French talent to City? 

Particularly with Cisse to help them assimilate. 

I'd like to know more about how we approach this opportunity. 

We also got Taylor Moore from Lens.

What I'd love to see is him get his first goal. He's getting closer in terms of having a few shots and some late runs into the box. His actual shots have been nowhere near the goal, but I think it could be something like what we'll see when Semenyo scores from an actual shot is a huge increase in confidence.

10 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Massengo has been decent the last couple of weeks, A fully fit starting midfield 3 of Massengo, Williams and Walsh , with Nagy go come in should hopefully give us improvement on the pitch next season which we desperately need 

A nice idea but not sure there's quite enough height and physicality in there. I'd like to see 2 of those then a taller/more physical player. I think that would be a good balance. Marlon Pack would've been pretty good in a midfield 3 with any combo of those in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, I mean if you look at France 2nd div (whatever it’s called) or the division below Belgium’s Jupiler league, then players won’t pass WP rules.

So you wouldn’t get a Kodjia from Angers because they were French 2nd tier at the time.  Even with their points for getting promoted, Kodjia would have just missed the required points.

Does that help explain it?

Yes, I think exactly as I’d understood it!

So the big PL clubs will still be able to pick up established internationals. But the likes of Kodjia won’t meet the criteria.

And therefore the change of strategy and greater reliance on our own academy, rather than picking up promising young players from abroad. Which, given the success we’ve had from France in recent years is a shame.

Archived