IGNORED

The Massengo Conundrum

Midlands Robin

10 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

For the amount of games hes started to get hooked at half time is just bad luck, right?

Never been taken off before h-t.

Heres a list of every player who failed to come out for the second half in the past two seasons.

65995281-1DED-4E84-A146-1EB48D9C3772.thumb.jpeg.351ef821a72d21cc3050c36ea2f14418.jpeg

BFA63515-7AFD-4448-9805-0E182314EE5F.thumb.jpeg.5860b2133ee4db79f677d546751cee21.jpeg

Palmer had equalled it from season before

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I did tell people here he wouldnt get a sniff here this year.

If it wasnt for the injuries, anybody can see he wouldnt have even made the bench.

He got put on a pedestal. by many here sadly.

The poor kid never had a chance,

Im getting the impression you are not a fan.....

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I thought post-Xmas he looked like he’s really-found his agility.

There was talk on Wednesday that NP was a bit cheesed off with his casual attitude to getting ready to coming on as sub (albeit 88th minute).

It was a bit strange for Sam Pearson to get the nod.

I thought it strange when the sub was made but, in retrospect, wasn’t it just the that we were going to a more conventional 4-4-2, had Lansbury and Palmer already in the middle, and Pearson was more suited to being a left winger?

I’d have liked Massengo to get on ahead of Lansbury but I don’t think the  choice of Pearson was the snub it first appeared. More that it was the last time we could make a sub outside of half time and we were chasing the game...

Well he came in with a lot of fanfare, the fans knocking themselves silly at a mammoth 70% pass completion rate in one game.

The reality is he was never all that, as you expect from a young lad. Overplayed in the beginning, did naff all except being quite good at recovery challenges.

Now we have gone full swing and he is being underplayed, even in a season with all our injuries. He should be above Lansbury in the pecking order, or scrap that, Lansbury shouldn't even be here.

The future doesn't look bright for Massengo here so he will surely be gone in the summer. Two wasted years and another Ashton masterclass.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Well he came in with a lot of fanfare, the fans knocking themselves silly at a mammoth 70% pass completion rate in one game.

The reality is he was never all that, as you expect from a young lad. Overplayed in the beginning, did naff all except being quite good at recovery challenges.

Now we have gone full swing and he is being underplayed, even in a season with all our injuries. He should be above Lansbury in the pecking order, or scrap that, Lansbury shouldn't even be here.

The future doesn't look bright for Massengo here so he will surely be gone in the summer. Two wasted years and another Ashton masterclass.

I find the subtle ridicule of fans for getting excited over a promising young player a bit mean spirited.

For the most part, historically we’re a very average 2nd/3rd tier club. Massengo came here with a big rep, a youth international for the current world champions and started very brightly. I think you can forgive fans for being excited and in some cases going overboard.

I’d rather read posts from excited fans about a promising young player (and perhaps going a bit ott) than needless negativity from cynics towards young players. Those weird threads we’ve seen about Semenyo or the almost celebratory ‘I told you so’ ones about Morrell for example.

I think there’s still plenty of time for HNM. It’s also early days with Pearson so let’s see what happens.

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I find the subtle ridicule of fans for getting excited over a promising young player a bit mean spirited.

For the most part, historically we’re a very average 2nd/3rd tier club. Massengo came here with a big rep, a youth international for the current world champions and started very brightly. I think you can forgive fans for being excited and in some cases going overboard.

I’d rather read posts from excited fans about a promising young player (and perhaps going a bit ott) than needless negativity from cynics towards young players. Those weird threads we’ve seen about Semenyo or the almost celebratory ‘I told you so’ ones about Morrell for example.

I think there’s still plenty of time for HNM. It’s also early days with Pearson so let’s see what happens.

I agree with you there, I should of ended my quote, with your last two sentences.

8 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Memory loss come on dave, your going to have to do better than that.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Seriously, I don’t recall him giving the ball away outside our box  in the last 10 games that have led to 4 or 5 goals.  The games you suggest don’t bear that out.

Watford. Taylor Moore goal 1, Pato / Vyner goal 2, deflection off Moore goal 3, Massengo didn’t track with enough intensity goal 4, Massengo tried to intercept goal 5 although not really his fault trying to screen. Goal 6 can’t remember who got robbed 80 yards from our goal.

Just had a break and thought I'd check OTIB, nice timing.

IMG-20210306-WA0009.thumb.jpeg.2b0a43c005dc86542fa18c7791ecf6a0.jpeg

9 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Never seen a midfielder subbed so many times at half time myself.

The facts are infront of you, once this season. We made a double sub and change of shape

9 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Might have been reading away? ive seen him do this at least 4 times this year.

Certainly in the games hes started.

That's more than 10 games ago. You're moving the goal posts and in all honesty think you're making things up

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I thought it strange when the sub was made but, in retrospect, wasn’t it just the that we were going to a more conventional 4-4-2, had Lansbury and Palmer already in the middle, and Pearson was more suited to being a left winger?

I’d have liked Massengo to get on ahead of Lansbury but I don’t think the  choice of Pearson was the snub it first appeared. More that it was the last time we could make a sub outside of half time and we were chasing the game...

We’d already gone 442 with the introduction of Semenyo for Bakinson for the first sub.  Semenyo RW, Palmer LW, Wells and Diedhiou up top.

4 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I must’ve imagined games like Derby and Swansea then?  Like all young players they drop off....look at Bakinson at almost 3 years older.

2 hours ago, Banned User said:

Just had a break and thought I'd check OTIB, nice timing.

IMG-20210306-WA0009.thumb.jpeg.2b0a43c005dc86542fa18c7791ecf6a0.jpeg

You’ve lost me BU?

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We’d already gone 442 with the introduction of Semenyo for Bakinson for the first sub.  Semenyo RW, Palmer LW, Wells and Diedhiou up top.

I must’ve imagined games like Derby and Swansea then?  Like all young players they drop off....look at Bakinson at almost 3 years older.

You’ve lost me BU?

Don't bother debating him

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

This forum is so weird sometimes. Got a poster here, who I assume is a grown adult, making stuff up about a 19 year olds footballing performances.  Complete odd ball.  

I use social media as my pressure value. Splurt all the crap out in my head on to here, so I don't in my working life, but even for my standards some of these posts are just ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You’ve lost me BU?

I wonder if he's trying to point out this bit of the page ?

154522393_Screenshot2021-03-07at14_53_24.png.acbf1e15aa1531470ef83c414c65c01e.png

?

Thing about Massengo is the fee we apparently paid for him blinds everyone.  He's a teenager and people seem to be expecting him to thrive in a very competitive league for a team that has had clear leadership issues.  One would hope that if NP stays and establishes some kind of pattern and way of doing things that he will begin to properly settle.  He's got ability that's for sure but plays like a scatterbrain sometimes. 

Just now, The Bard said:

plays like a scatterbrain sometimes. 

If he has been given a clear game plan then I have absolutely no doubt that he will execute it. French pros  have a very high technical level and understanding of tactics. 

The standard of coaching is evidently higher over here than in the UK. 

I dont mind a joke, dont call me ill bred, big mistake btw.

As for dont debate me why?

Banned user, wind your neck in sunshine.

Hey dave, do you agree about readings 3rd goal that day?

You know that one when he missed the tackle and ended up on his ass?

As for him vs scott sinclair, just watch that one.

17 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Thing about Massengo is the fee we apparently paid for him blinds everyone.  He's a teenager and people seem to be expecting him to thrive in a very competitive league for a team that has had clear leadership issues.  One would hope that if NP stays and establishes some kind of pattern and way of doing things that he will begin to properly settle.  He's got ability that's for sure but plays like a scatterbrain sometimes. 

Fee and I think the club

remember the 2 youngsters we got from Liverpool back in the 90s didn’t do much either, Mcaree and Patterson, in later years Gillespie. A player we got from Arsenal Muntasser too. Seems just cuz we get youth from top clubs doesn’t mean they’re going to be amazing.

Hopefully Han finds his feet though  

I do say this all the time, but he really does seem to have the potential to be a real player. At 19, he's developing well in a foreign league without any consistent minutes or even a consistent position!

He was written off for being too lightweight, he went and bulked up. I don't know what else he can do to convince anyone he's ready without getting a run of games? I'm not saying he should be walking into the starting XI, but how is he meant to show what he can do without minutes? Nobody has a right to be in the team, but when our midfield is hit and miss (at best!) I don't see why he's not given a run out more often.

Whenever he's discussed in interviews, he's always regarded as a player who's eager to improve and works hard. Unfortunately for the majority of his tenure we've played atrocious football that doesn't suit his style of play whatsoever. I'm very interested to see where he goes when he leaves us, almost certainly a club bigger than us.

Archived