IGNORED

The Massengo Conundrum

Midlands Robin

40 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Dave wheres louis Britton ? 

I only add the u23s to my senior squad tab when they make it into a City 18/20, or play for an EFL club.

In fairness as he’s played an FA Cup game, I should probably move him across....although it was only 4 minutes.

9 hours ago, REDOXO said:

There in lay the problem, he will add little without better players. This indicates how poor our purchases have been. 

The fact that a couple of different posters have said we saw a splash of ability for a few minutes against Brentford and Cardiff will indicate to Pearson. If not us he hasn’t got enough. 

Let's see how Massengo gets on with a proper manager. He has spent over a third of his time here being coached by Holden who clearly wasn't good enough.

Not talking about you necessarily Redoxo, but once again it's strange to see posters in this thread so eager to write players like Massengo off. It's almost as if some would rather a young player who they decided people have 'overrated' failed so they could say 'I told you so'.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I only add the u23s to my senior squad tab when they make it into a City 18/20, or play for an EFL club.

In fairness as he’s played an FA Cup game, I should probably move him across....although it was only 4 minutes.

Not sure mate but if we dont use him soon  wolves and west Brom waiting in the wings .

29 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Not sure mate but if we dont use him soon  wolves and west Brom waiting in the wings .

According to the rumours.  If they are genuinely interested (think Stoke were interested when we signed him from Mangotsfield) then he has a big decision to make.  No idea whether we are planning to offer him a new deal or not.

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Let's see how Massengo gets on with a proper manager. He has spent over a third of his time here being coached by Holden who clearly wasn't good enough.

Not talking about you necessarily Redoxo, but once again it's strange to see posters in this thread so eager to write players like Massengo off. It's almost as if some would rather a young player who they decided people have 'overrated' failed so they could say 'I told you so'.

I’m glad you are not talking about me necessarily as I have said he might get better and the Düsseldorf/Dagenham point I agreed with and reiterated, but it is very clear to me that this young man was purchased for first team action that he simply has not had the equipment for until now. 

Good luck to the kid he started well and nothing that has happened is the lads fault, but my original comment stands. I don’t see anything that adds value to this team and certainly the previous two managers thought the same outside of the odd bit part. I do agree mind you Pearson might be the manager this boy needs.

Just now, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes stoke and sheff unt i know his Dad .

I’ve only seen bits and pieces of him and apart for having the same style as his old man (who I played with at Odd Down) I think he’s a difficult one to judge how good he is / how far he’ll go.  He could go on and get bigger, stronger, better.  Certainly scores different types of goals, which I always see as a good sign.  Would definitely want to extend.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer as they say, but some of the comments on this thread got old very quickly.

Fantastic don’t you think? It might have just clicked today for the lad, over the moon for him great game and showed great skill amd close control of the ball. 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer as they say, but some of the comments on this thread got old very quickly.

And so they should.  He’s 19.  If any of our own “kids”, some of whom are two years older (!!) had played like he had prior to yesterday, we’d all be using positive words, saying it’s encouraging, shows talent, gonna be some player etc.

Yet he’s had a raw deal on here.

Yesterday was a continuation of his performance v Brentford.

Hes gonna be inconsistent, but he appears to have got his agility back.

Not easy playing in CM in the Championship either, and as NP says, he wants to give his youngsters the best opportunity to shine, by playing them in a consistent side, something we’ve not had.

72ED1626-68F5-4E93-BAC5-59E5C867B3A7.thumb.jpeg.b9d033b64d2eb9e9222d65bb6f9f552d.jpeg

Above is a list of Champ players, 19 and under and how many minutes they’ve played.  He’s 11th.  He’s the only true CM too.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Massengo yesterday:

34E32288-ED7B-4977-834F-C40A9ABA0829.jpeg

92B013CE-1C37-4857-BC47-0DC3C4D3A3D0.jpeg

F24C7602-1379-4351-8231-FC6D1A5297D4.jpeg

There was an awful lot of “lightweight midfield “ comments when the teams were announced yesterday.

An hour later, a far from lightweight performance, Liam Walsh back, Nagy and Vyner back next game, Williams next season, things have quickly changed.

Its funny how quick things change, last week even I was thinking about what changes we need in the summer, yesterday I kept thinking what a good squad we’ve got.

Guys, just wondering, he made 37 passes, more than half were deemed unsuccessful.

Where he gave the ball away in key areas, again, leaving us exposed, a better team would have scored 2 at least.

Whos going to put their head above the pulpit and say hes going to be in the team on wednesday.

Please put your name forward.

On 08/03/2021 at 22:50, REDOXO said:

There in lay the problem, he will add little without better players. This indicates how poor our purchases have been. 

The fact that a couple of different posters have said we saw a splash of ability for a few minutes against Brentford and Cardiff will indicate to Pearson. If not us he hasn’t got enough. 

I would say the contrary, he has it and needs better and more experienced players around him and would like to think Pearson sees that and intends to bring out the best in him - He’s 19!!

24 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Guys, just wondering, he made 37 passes, more than half were deemed unsuccessful.

Where he gave the ball away in key areas, again, leaving us exposed, a better team would have scored 2 at least.

Whos going to put their head above the pulpit and say hes going to be in the team on wednesday.

You might want to take off the blinkers because you've totally misunderstood the stats. 

2 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

ive got it down then as, 1 in 3 passes are unsuccessful?

This is a central midfielder we are talking about.

Basic passes.

75% passing accuracy based on Dave's stats.

As for Wed, well Pearson said about bringing young players in and out of the team at the right time. If he doesn't start Wed, it's not down to yesterday's performance, he was effective in the role asked if him IMO.

2 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Gaz, i agree.

But many here say it was a motm, performance.

It wouldnt make sense dropping him?

Would you drop a motm cm gaz?

Of course you wouldnt.

I hear you. 

He was very good yesterday but not MOTM for me, others may disagree of course.

Horses for courses. Plenty of options available for this week. I wouldn't be surprised either way, in or out.

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

41 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Again i dont expect people to agree.

Brums midfield, were one of the worst ive seen this season.

Do you guys think there was any truth, in the rumour he was offered to them?

Im not be sarcastic here, but i think he would have improved that team.

36 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

A cm making 5 forward passes all afternoon.

And people are impressed.

29 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Im going to plead memory loss.

For misreading these stats.

Even so dolman, forget me for a minute, do you expect him to start on wednesday?

26 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

ive got it down then as, 1 in 3 passes are unsuccessful?

This is a central midfielder we are talking about.

Basic passes.

24 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

None of his fanclub, will have the bottle to say hes in the team on wednesday.

That says it all.

Terrified of calling it wrong.

13 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Gaz, i agree.

But many here say it was a motm, performance.

It wouldnt make sense dropping him?

Would you drop a motm cm gaz?

Of course you wouldnt.

Haven't seen a series of such inaccurate posts one after the other since Bristol City Sweden's last bender. 

If he is fit and well recovered he plays Wednesday, if he needs a rest then Saturday. What he did yesterday was more than sufficient to retain his place. I don't quite understand your personal issue with the guy, yes he would improve Birmingham's midfield but I think the majority of sides in this league would love to have a 19 year old midfield player performing to his level.

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

There was an awful lot of “lightweight midfield “ comments when the teams were announced yesterday.

An hour later, a far from lightweight performance, Liam Walsh back, Nagy and Vyner back next game, Williams next season, things have quickly changed.

Its funny how quick things change, last week even I was thinking about what changes we need in the summer, yesterday I kept thinking what a good squad we’ve got.

Yep....why some posters want to profess their soothsayer skills pre-game is beyond me....even before they’ve heard the rationale from coaches like injuries etc.

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

bold bit - absolute rubbish again.  Do you just make stuff up.  Which were the key areas he gave the ball away in?

I’ll label my charts better next time...just for YOU.  But even if I did, you’d need to read them without your Massengo agenda anyway.

Passes: (18/24) 75% successful, just one given away in his own half:

• none given away on the edge of the box
  • none that resulted in 4 or 5 goals given away

BB50D0CE-F106-4C65-96DA-31996DD61DBF.thumb.jpeg.0dcd0ea92e92682d36d0598ecc9468ac.jpeg

Duels: 18 / 37 - what you don’t see from these stats is although Massengo didn’t win the duels, other players picked up the loose ball.7754F139-0DFF-41A0-84DE-EA0B9A52B3B5.thumb.jpeg.8f7256d38ed7707e8702657513c269aa.jpeg

Ball recoveries (12) - where he’s picked up loose balls from his / other players duels.

521295B2-BE2B-40FD-A321-AE5FFBB939DD.jpeg.ebc9b7b9ef0dfd925b0fe0c1d6b60934.jpeg

Passing Network:

He is not constrained to passing to / from one player.  He has good passing numbers with multiple players from defence to attack.

07FA834B-A375-4D30-B09A-C64311E645E6.thumb.jpeg.c4bec5eb5fa0b69896feea99cbb9e772.jpeg

Pretty silly question to ask whether we are confident he’ll start on Wednesday.  He certainly did more than enough for NP to pick him.  But we have no idea whether any knocks, reactions in training.

Assuming he’s as fit as needed to be considered for selection I’d have no hesitation in picking him.

But we aren’t mind-readers, we aren’t tuned in to NP’s selection policy.

He could quite easily say, rest on Wednesday, go again on Saturday.

If you genuinely want to have an open debate, please feel free to reply and with any supporting evidence too....that would be helpful.

I do want to have a open debate dave.

So lets say hes rested on wednesday right.

Others might use the expression dropped.

Hes one of the most under used squad players in the team, he was motm saturday, you say he needs a run in the team.

Resting him, yes makes perfect sense.

Where is the sense in that?

Archived