IGNORED

Qpr’s 1st goal

Harry

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Palmer. He has his attributes but he isn't a natural fit- not his fault but having him in and around the 3rd man or even a 4th man when we need people to pull wide to help, someone like Johansen between the midfield and attack would be excellent. Palmer? Just doesn't seem suitable tactically- maybe if Wells and Weimann, or Wells and Semenyo in the absence of Weimann maybe this would mesh better and help stop us being outnumbered/outmaneuvered in key areas but Palmer and then a front 2 of Diedhou and Wells can leave too many holes IMO.

@Offside Spare man on the left? Partly due to maybe, to Sessegnon playing as a right footer on the left? Wholly out of necessity of course but I wonder if that arises so easily if we have Rowe or DaSilva available with maybe Paterson LM/Left attacking midfielder something like that.

Sorry, I meant the player on their left at the top of the pic - seems to be in acres of space and waiting to drift in if the ball ends up going that way. 

On 07/03/2021 at 00:49, Harry said:

Lots of comments saying Mariappa shouldn’t have been beaten by the smallest player on the pitch. 
Lots of comments saying Sessegnon should’ve closed the cross down. 

For me, the problem starts in midfield. And it’s interesting that Nige alluded to the midfield being weak. 

I’ve said before how Nagy has been much better this season than he was last. And I ceased my criticism of him as he deserved praise for some good games this season. However, I mentioned that he was poor against Bournemouth, and looked like the Nagy I used to think wasn’t good enough. 
And so, today, he continued where he left off on Wednesday and was again very poor. 

One of my biggest criticisms of him is his lack of awareness/danger, when he goes chasing the ball and leaving holes behind him. Well, QPR’s first goal today was prime evidence of that. 
He is perfectly positioned in a nice compact central 3, him, Vyner & Bakinson all in a line, their CB with the ball. He’s got no options as the midfield 3 are tight, closing any passing lanes. 
What does Nagy do. Yep, in his ever-eagerness to chase the ball, he loses his shape discipline, hares off into the opposition half to close down a CB, who until that point had no forward passing options. 
As Nagy sprints forward, Austin drops into the hole Nagy has left, drawing Kalas to come out with him. This in turn means Sessegnon has to pull in tighter to cover the gap Kalas has had to leave. 
Austin then lays the ball off to the unmarked CM (who was Nagy’s man before he went chasing). The CM pops it off wide, where their full back now has acres because Sess had to cover 10 yards inside. 
Yes, Sess could have closed Kane down quicker, but the fact he was so far away to start with is all down to 1 stupid and unnecessary ball chase by Nagy. 

He’d turned my opinion round of him for the most part this year, but this harebrain move was back to the bad-Nagy I saw last year. 

Stop chasing the damn ball Adam. You leave holes. You allow the opposition to play through us without needing to try too hard. Please, just slow down man!! Your energy is your biggest asset but your thoughtless chasing of the ball is your biggest weakness. 

I remember being told as a kid, when defending "get goal side" not in front, not behind, goal side. Had he done this he would have prevented the goal. Simple as

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Looks like they’ve been reading OTIB!

Appreciate your point Dave but what strikes me is the sloppy passing in the drills even without the pressure of a live game situation. 5/10 yard passes going astray or being delivered at chest or knee height is unbelievable, no wonder it's happening in games.

Archived