IGNORED

Pearson now fully aware of the task he faces if he takes on [is offered] this challenge

headhunter

FBC Podcast: https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/pearson-now-fully-aware-of-the-task-that-faces-him-if-he-accepts-is-offered-the-challenge/

In this latest episode we review a limp wristed performance against the west Londoners as City went down 0-2 and the "new manager bounce" had clearly come to an end.

Pearson's post match comments were telling. I detect he's now aware after no more than a week on the training ground that whilst they may be a skilful bunch of individuals this squad lack heart and are simply to nice. Never mind the out of contract players, how many of those who are contracted to still be here in August would Pearson keep.

The goals conceded were poor, we suffered two more injuries and, allied to the tactical substitution of Bakinson the whole midfield had gone after 35 minutes.

We also discuss the, as it appears, the largely unimpressive list of OOC players at other clubs. They are OOC for a reason and whilst on FBC we have said there should be rich pickings to be had that position appears to be a myth.

We conclude that next season could already be described as one of consolidation 

It will be interesting to gauge how NP liaises with the Boardroom in theses early days, which will set the tone for his and the clubs ambitions. We are at a cross roads, the Club (read SL) have been ambitious by appointing NP, but as usual, have kept us on tenterhooks by only giving a contract to the end of the season. 
The reason for the short appointment is somewhat baffling as NP has a CV that states his credentials. The CV of BCFC is not as impressive, and potential and sleeping giant have become millstones and almost excuses for underachieving. I hope that NP is convinced that he can work with the Board and finally build a consistent team challenging at the top of the table, but I do fear that the Club may revert to type and for some crazy reason decide to part company.  Without stating the obvious, the Club now has the manager to potentially guide us up the table and compete for the top 6, or, capitulate and return to ‘yes men’ and have the occasional cup run and Championship mediocrity.

25 minutes ago, shepton red said:

It will be interesting to gauge how NP liaises with the Boardroom in theses early days, which will set the tone for his and the clubs ambitions. We are at a cross roads, the Club (read SL) have been ambitious by appointing NP, but as usual, have kept us on tenterhooks by only giving a contract to the end of the season. 
The reason for the short appointment is somewhat baffling as NP has a CV that states his credentials. The CV of BCFC is not as impressive, and potential and sleeping giant have become millstones and almost excuses for underachieving. I hope that NP is convinced that he can work with the Board and finally build a consistent team challenging at the top of the table, but I do fear that the Club may revert to type and for some crazy reason decide to part company.  Without stating the obvious, the Club now has the manager to potentially guide us up the table and compete for the top 6, or, capitulate and return to ‘yes men’ and have the occasional cup run and Championship mediocrity.

Pearson & Ashton must work together like hand in glove. Does Pearson report into Ashton? If it is to Lansdown Sr. then it could make Ashton's position untenable or if SL backs Ashton on any decision point Pearson has the character that he might walk even if under contract knowing that he could get a better option than us. Should that happen we as a club would become toxic in the eyes of any further managers of repute.

1 hour ago, shepton red said:

Excellent post. The only point I would differ with you on is if we fail to sign up Nigel Pearson and return to Managers of the experience or quality of Johnson/Holden then  with the current squad I think relegation would be a certainty. Championship mediocrity would be beyond us. 

1 hour ago, shepton red said:

The truth is, we have no idea where the idea of the short term contract came from. It may be that we wanted to sign NP for longer but he didn`t want to commit at this stage. It`s a bit unfair to criticize the club if it was NP saying `if you want me, I`ll sign till the end of the season, keep you up and we`ll go from there`

Unless we were party to the negotiations then none of us can truly say what happened but one thing I do know is that SL, MA and BCFC generally will get roundly blamed by all and sundry if NP does leave in the summer even though no-one will have any actual idea why he does.

36 minutes ago, Isawjonshaw said:

I fear NP will walk at the end of the season due to the club being a complete sh1tshow.  

It might just be me, but I can see it in his interviews, almost from day one. When he gets asked a question, he almost smiles and shrugs as if to say, "I know, its a shambles"  He doesn't seem to be as prickly as he has been in other jobs, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he knew now, that he will be off in the summer.

21 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It seems pretty clear he wants to stay. He will be backed in the summer. We have lots of talent who hopefully will be available for us next season who have been out for much of this one. 

So a chance to build his own squad by getting rid of who he wants whose contracts run out, and maybe selling any we can that NP doesn't like. And then bringing in who he wants, building his own team to whatever system he wants to go forward with. 

And he has some real top talent coming through too, new training ground. He doesn't live far away either. It seems a perfect job for him I reckon.

I am not really sure where he'd go if he didnt come to us. Possibly a prem job would come up for him but far from a guarantee. And he probably fancies a chance to build something like he did at Leicester rather than going into a job that even when he does well he could get the sack, like at Watford.

There might be other options, but I don't know if there will be any more attractive than us. 

It is 'sh1tshow' as you say because it needs a manager to sort it out. If it wasn't then he wouldn't be here.

I really hope you are right and I'm wide of the mark!

Nige will not be staying if he is not given the tools for the huge squad rebuild required. 

The current recruitment team headed by Ashton (aided and abetted by LJ) has created what ? Look at that squad, and look at that squad, contracted for next season. Looks far from a well oiled and well prepared set up. 

Nige knows it is ultimately about the players, so he will want not only the budget, but the talent identification sorted. Otherwise he is back to Devon hiking. 

2 hours ago, shepton red said:

My fears in a nutshell.

I have a horrible feeling that our HEAD COACH next season will be a certain Mr Appleton.

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well he did say post match we will look at the injury situation in the summer. I don't know why he'd be interested to look at it in the summer whilst unemployed at home in Devon!

Fair enough.  But he’s not going to declare now that once his contract runs out he’s off.  I hope he stays, we need a strong boss with his own back room team to drag this club out of the mire it currently resides.

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well he did say post match we will look at the injury situation in the summer. I don't know why he'd be interested to look at it in the summer whilst unemployed at home in Devon!

Fair enough.  But he’s not going to declare now that once his contract runs out he’s off.  I hope he stays, we need a strong boss with his own back room team to drag this club out of the mire it currently resides.

The likely reason to why it is short term is because it was sorted quickly.  Neither party will’ve done full due diligence, but something needed to be sorted quickly.  Both parties were comfortable, both parties think they’ve made the right decision, but are just giving themselves wiggle room if it goes pear shaped.  Both parties are talking like they want it to be long term, so I don’t fear it ending in the summer....but the first tension will be on recruitment.  I think SL will back NP.  I think he’s finally realised what is needed.  And that’s an experienced manager of quality, pedigree.  Pearson will know it’s not about spending willy-nilly, but recruiting smartly.

Imagine 

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

My fears in a nutshell.

I have a horrible feeling that our HEAD COACH next season will be a certain Mr Appleton.

Imagine renewing your season ticket with Nigel still in charge, he leaves, then come August it’s Appleton in the dugout. My ST would be going on the harbour with Colston. 

What five things (I know there are lots more that need addressing) would you suggest NP changes first in order to rebuild? 

For me:

Different mentality

Higher tempo

Better ball retention e.g. cut out giving it away cheaply

A style of play that connects our defence, midfield and forward line

Improved set plays from our throw ins, corners and free kicks

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The likely reason to why it is short term is because it was sorted quickly.  Neither party will’ve done full due diligence, but something needed to be sorted quickly.  Both parties were comfortable, both parties think they’ve made the right decision, but are just giving themselves wiggle room if it goes pear shaped.  Both parties are talking like they want it to be long term, so I don’t fear it ending in the summer....but the first tension will be on recruitment.  I think SL will back NP.  I think he’s finally realised what is needed.  And that’s an experienced manager of quality, pedigree.  Pearson will know it’s not about spending willy-nilly, but recruiting smartly.

I think your spot on there, well at least I hope so!

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is what I think too but it really winds me up that some posters are already blaming anyone and everyone at the club for NP perhaps leaving in the summer without having any idea whether he will or not and if he did, what the reasons would be.

Lets just wait and see what happens shall we? For once we can look forward rather than back and if anyone thinks NP didn`t do any sort of due diligence on us before accepting SL`s offer then they don`t know how football works. All this `now he`s seen how bad we are he`ll be off` `he`ll leave now he`s seen the club`s a shitshow` bollocks is just that - what do people think he`s been doing since he left his last job, living in a cave or something?

2 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

Excellent post. The only point I would differ with you on is if we fail to sign up Nigel Pearson and return to Managers of the experience or quality of Johnson/Holden then  with the current squad I think relegation would be a certainty. Championship mediocrity would be beyond us. 

This in bags full. Don’t be fooled into thinking we can take liberties with going down the yes man route again and be mid table championship.

We dined out off the sale of the family silver the last few years. Players sales like Kodja, Reid, Bryan, flint, Webster, etc propped up the Johnson regime  when many people questioned the quality of the coaching behind the scenes. Most of these players were not signed by Ashton either so they cannot use that as a plus point. Clearly these players have not been replaced sufficiently and without a top manager to rectify the mess last summer caused league one beckons for me. 

I think Nigel Pearson will relish the challenge and sign a longer deal.  He doesn't seem like a quitter and it just seems like a good fit for both the Club and him. 

I think it's clear that Steve Lansdown has taken a much more active role again and whatever Steve wants then Mark Ashton will follow.  So the key relationship is between NP and SL.   Pearson will be very clear on how he wants to run things but he does like to have a close knit team and everyone pulling in the same direction. I don't think Mark Ashton will have much say in recruitment and fitness matters going forward though.

I get the impression that Steve L realises all the infrastructure is in place and he wants success on the field asap as he's not getting any younger.  He is very reasonable and pragmatic though and will  surely recognise recruitment has been a bit of a mess and give Pearson time. 

There aren't many chairman who are both reasonable, honest and patient so that will appeal to any manager.  It's a stressful job and with NP's health scares I am sure he'll appreciate having a decent chairman.  It's a great opportunity for Pearson to replicate what he did at Leicester.   He's highly intelligent and will recognise that.  

SL likes a good relationship with managers which is why he kept LJ for so long and has maintained friendships with Brian Tinnion and Gary Johnson and no doubt remains on good terms with the likes of  LJ, Keith Millen and Dean Holden.  I have a feeling he will strike up a good working relationship with Pearson and there will be mutual respect. 

NP has good communication skills and all former colleagues seem to appreciate him.  He's tough and driven but there is a wry and reflective sense of humour there and he's quite personable.  He's not the out of control tyrant I thought he was from the media image and he's much more smart and subtle than that.  I am sure he will be much easier to work with for Steve Lansdown than SOD for example who was somewhat dour and awkward.

The large number of  players out of contract will also give NP the chance to shape things for next season as well.  

In short it's a good fit all round and I am hopeful and quite confident Pearson will be given a much longer opportunity to sort things out and he'll relish the challenge. 

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The truth is, we have no idea where the idea of the short term contract came from. It may be that we wanted to sign NP for longer but he didn`t want to commit at this stage. It`s a bit unfair to criticize the club if it was NP saying `if you want me, I`ll sign till the end of the season, keep you up and we`ll go from there`

Unless we were party to the negotiations then none of us can truly say what happened but one thing I do know is that SL, MA and BCFC generally will get roundly blamed by all and sundry if NP does leave in the summer even though no-one will have any actual idea why he does.

NPsaid himself it was the clubs/SL’s idea to give a short term contract . 

2 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

It might just be me, but I can see it in his interviews, almost from day one. When he gets asked a question, he almost smiles and shrugs as if to say, "I know, its a shambles"  He doesn't seem to be as prickly as he has been in other jobs, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he knew now, that he will be off in the summer.

I think it is just you 

Nige knows how best to source and recruit the right players. It's just a question of whether or not SL will be willing to allow him to put an appropriate system in place to do it. It also depends upon the right staff actually being available to Nige - although I'm sure his contacts in the game are numerous. 

Looking at the options to rebuild the squad, it's a good picture for any Manager who likes a project. Which we know Nige is. 

The next few months could be massive for the club as a whole.

We have the Manager. Please SL, back him all the way. It will pay off.

31 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

I really fear that he’s keen to stay but will need a huge clear out that we simply cannot afford. Then he’ll be poached by another side who have sold their stadium to themselves or whatever.

In many respects the contract situation makes it easier....he isn’t trying to sell several of them.

2 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

I really fear that he’s keen to stay but will need a huge clear out that we simply cannot afford. Then he’ll be poached by another side who have sold their stadium to themselves or whatever.

I'm not sure if use of such loopholes will fly anymore.

Parachute clubs might be interested in him though. West Brom?

5 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The short term contract came about due to the time frame. SL wanted a guy (maybe not this guy first) quickly and a contract could be negotiated fast for a temp appointment. Pearson will want stuff in his contract that will/could change a lot at the club if a longer deal is done...It is not all about the money and length. The personnel terms are important in view of transfers sales and youth policy. 

This appointment is a game changer for Bristol City if they agree longer terms and we finish comfortably out of a dog fight!

38 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The short term contract came about due to the time frame. SL wanted a guy (maybe not this guy first) quickly and a contract could be negotiated fast for a temp appointment. Pearson will want stuff in his contract that will/could change a lot at the club if a longer deal is done...It is not all about the money and length. The personnel terms are important in view of transfers sales and youth policy. 

This appointment is a game changer for Bristol City if they agree longer terms and we finish comfortably out of a dog fight!

Partially, plus of course that if we didn’t pick up enough points we could be in League One & I doubt very much NP would have be interested in staying then or potentially us if he had presided over a continued slide.

I’m confident he wants to be here beyond May & whatever the set up is regarding recruitment, that with about 14 out of contract, plus 2 loan players to go back if necessary then there is a lot of scope to reshuffle.

As has been mentioned elsewhere we are not unique, every club (bar the 3 promoted) are suffering financially & there are lots of players without deals for 21/22.

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

One bad performance and suddenly the ceiling is caving in again.

Does any other set of fans do this or is it just us? Because it's ******* draining to see the usual suspects at it every time.

And it is one bad performance on balance isn’t it....ok yesterday was poor, at least for the first half, but the last three have been much better than we were  witnessing under DH ...hopefully things will be different against Brum next weekend, let’s hope so anyway ...:yawn:

Archived