IGNORED

Birmingham next Sat

Shuffle

Better get those set plays sorted ready for next week as this is the type of game that a soft City get done in by a physical opponent. Roberts will launch every throw into box whilst every free kick will come long.  If I was an opposing manager that’s what I’d do as we look so vulnerable to set plays. Conceded most goals to set plays in the league & oh to have Baker available for this one but more likely Rotherham on the 20th.

Next week is a must not lose game as will keep a 10 point gap between us with 10 to play.  Question is, do we have the players to compete physically ? 

1 minute ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

With one win in our last 11 games likely to secure safety, I'm not sure we have any 'must not lose' games left.

It'll be nice to the get that win as early as possible though!

I’m not sure 1 win will be enough but agree the sooner we can then the better.  Years of fearing the worst but I think we need another 7 points at least

16 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

With one win in our last 11 games likely to secure safety, I'm not sure we have any 'must not lose' games left.

It'll be nice to the get that win as early as possible though!

Just one more win may not be enough to secure Championship status. Have we got the players that are up for a fight and battle. I beg to differ. Other teams down near the bottom will be fighting to stay in the championship. Take Birmingham the last 3 seasons - seem to always wriggle out of it.

I would not call our current crop of players "Battlers"..Hopefully big Nige can install some grit into them but i wouldn't rely on any of them to help you in a battle.  

1 hour ago, Shuffle said:

Better get those set plays sorted ready for next week as this is the type of game that a soft City get done in by a physical opponent. Roberts will launch every throw into box whilst every free kick will come long.  If I was an opposing manager that’s what I’d do as we look so vulnerable to set plays. Conceded most goals to set plays in the league & oh to have Baker available for this one but more likely Rotherham on the 20th.

Next week is a must not lose game as will keep a 10 point gap between us with 10 to play.  Question is, do we have the players to compete physically ? 

Got to be brave and play a high line.  I know that won’t solve long throws, but general play it will help.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Got to be brave and play a high line.  I know that won’t solve long throws, but general play it will help.

Thought yesterday we were so deep it just invites teams on ...... I don’t understand it as we have pace in Kalas & Sess

1 hour ago, Shuffle said:

I’m not sure 1 win will be enough but agree the sooner we can then the better.  Years of fearing the worst but I think we need another 7 points at least

Plenty, Sheff Wed & Brum lose virtually every week, Wycombe have gone.

Even if Brum beat us next week I think they or Rotherham will go down with the other 2.

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Even if Brum beat us next week I think they or Rotherham will go down with the other 2.

Rotherham in particular could be playing three games a week soon - they`re already two behind most of us and their midweek game v Luton has been called off already. All covid related I think but it didn`t help that they had postponements due to weather as well. The schedule`s tough enough as it is without having to shoehorn in extra games.

I wonder if they would be allowed to play during the international break if the opposing club agreed.

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I can see the team finishing 22nd can easily reach 52 points, the sooner we get to 55 points the better, basically we are crap as yesterday's performance against a very average team (yet again) shows

2 hours ago, Shuffle said:

2 hours ago, richyy66 said:

Just one more win may not be enough to secure Championship status. Have we got the players that are up for a fight and battle. I beg to differ. Other teams down near the bottom will be fighting to stay in the championship. Take Birmingham the last 3 seasons - seem to always wriggle out of it.

I would not call our current crop of players "Battlers"..Hopefully big Nige can install some grit into them but i wouldn't rely on any of them to help you in a battle.  

Fair enough, I did say likely to secure our safety, it's certainly not a given. That's just based on the average points needed to stay up in the Championship historically. 

I've posted this before but just for reference;

1.-Championship-Average-Points-Required_180409_152457.png

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Birmingham were dead certs for relegation in 2017 and then they played us?  We need to get a win on Saturday on an apparently terrible pitch, so that is another thing to consider in the team selection, as I doubt it will be pretty to watch. 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Might need to drop Mariappa then.

Not that I think he's done badly but centrebacks in their mid 30's in a high line, this can be difficult!

Maybe not so bad if it's Jutkiewicz leading the line, if it's Hogan however, he's more about movement.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Next 3 games; Brum, then Blackburn away and Rotherham at home;

We have already lost to Brum and Rotherham and Rotherham who we have to play at that place we cant win at...home have also 3 GAMES in hand over us. We need a few more wins yet imo and our place in this league is far from certain until we get them.

Having doubts that NP will be given what he asks for in the summer by the way and will walk if he doesnt; hopefully a few players back will get us the points required to stay up which for now is the priority.

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Might need to drop Mariappa then.

Not that I think he's done badly but centrebacks in their mid 30's in a high line, this can be difficult!

Maybe not so bad if it's Jutkiewicz leading the line, if it's Hogan however, he's more about movement.

That’s the point though, Shuffles was suggesting a barrage of high balls, so I suggest a high line.  If they’re playing Hogan then I wouldn’t be expecting a barrage of high balls!

3 hours ago, Galway Red said:

I can see the team finishing 22nd can easily reach 52 points, the sooner we get to 55 points the better, basically we are crap as yesterday's performance against a very average team (yet again) shows

“Easily” reaching 52 points?

Birmingham have 35 points from 35 games, you think they are going to suddenly get 17 from their last 11? Because in their actual last 11 they have earned 9.

Sheffield Wednesday have 28 from 34, so they are going to get 24 points in 12 games (2 points a game, which no one except runaway leaders Norwich is currently achieving) are they?

I’ve discounted Wycombe getting 29 points in 12 games as that is even more ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Galway Red said:

Really? That would 5 win, 5 draws, 4 losses for Rotherham in their last 14 matches... Seems extremely unlikely?

Based on ppg of Rotherham and Birmingham it would be one more win in 11 games to be safe so not an issue. We may actually have enough already if they drop slightly below their season form.

More the issue I think is getting players back fit and NP working out which ones he thinks can make us a top 6 side and which ones he needs to move on.

4 hours ago, Galway Red said:

Easily reach 52 points? that would be a hell of a turnaround, look I know most city fans have learnt to be pessimistic (and who can blame them) but thinking we can go down from the position we are in is taking that to a whole new level, one team may come good but there are too many teams below us. I'm glad there are not more games left as that would make it possible but teams are in the bottom four for a reason this late in the season they are pretty poor (even worse than us) 55 points? the team 3rd from bottom will be doing well to get 45 points the way the season has gone so far. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

“Easily” reaching 52 points?

Birmingham have 35 points from 35 games, you think they are going to suddenly get 17 from their last 11? Because in their actual last 11 they have earned 9.

Sheffield Wednesday have 28 from 34, so they are going to get 24 points in 12 games (2 points a game, which no one except runaway leaders Norwich is currently achieving) are they?

I’ve discounted Wycombe getting 29 points in 12 games as that is even more ridiculous.

34 from 34 in Sheffield Wednesday's case though as their total includes a 6 point deduction (was 12 but halved on appeal).

Certainly don't disagree with the general point though, 52 to survive? No chance. One more win should be enough IMO.

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Knew a couple of weeks of positivity would be too much for some to handle.

One bad performance and suddenly we're going down and Pearson isn't going to stay.

Reality, Northern Red. 

I am chuffed Pearson is in the role as we have given ourselves a better chance of avoiding the drop. I am positive we will stay up yet I am not complacent to think it’s a dead cert. I tip my hat to you if you believe otherwise. 

Where apart from in your mind, does it say we`re going down and Pearson isnt going to stay?

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Knew a couple of weeks of positivity would be too much for some to handle.

One bad performance and suddenly we're going down and Pearson isn't going to stay.

, or are you making things up to suit your own agenda:dunno:

Nige has to work with the decimated squad he's been given. There won't be much change in players for Saturday albeit a little rotation with the subs.  I expect a gradual improvement over the weeks as injured players become available and with his better organisational skills and getting to grips with the players.

Brum will be favourites and will be right up for it (as will Rotherham) as they will be targeting soft Bristol City as one of the games to get three points.

5 minutes ago, Swede said:

Nige has to work with the decimated squad he's been given. There won't be much change in players for Saturday albeit a little rotation with the subs.  I expect a gradual improvement over the weeks as injured players become available and with his better organisational skills and getting to grips with the players.

Brum will be favourites and will be right up for it (as will Rotherham) as they will be targeting soft Bristol City as one of the games to get three points.

I can't see where the improvement is going to come from because we have no midfielders or strikers coming back that are good enough to make a blind bit of difference in the areas that matter (unless Weimann makes a return) Pearson has a massive job on his hands in the summer

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Where apart from in your mind, does it say we`re going down and Pearson isnt going to stay?

This chap, for a start. Not sure if you know him?

6 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Having doubts that NP will be given what he asks for in the summer by the way and will walk if he doesnt; 

Archived