IGNORED

just hope the scream'o'meter is not introduced

1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Can you imagine his reaction if he did suffer a serious injury...

Judging by that I assume he would spontaneously combust. 

That's the thing isn't it, people who do suffer a really serious injury tend not to scream or writhe around. The shock effect means they are usually still and silent.

Remember when George Elokobi suffered that horrendous ankle fracture in his only match playing for us? We all heard the crunch, but there was no shouting and yelling from poor George. In fact, he was waving and smiling at the crowd when he was stretchered off. Shock was clearly minimising the pain.

I think refs should all be made to talk to a trauma surgeon to learn about how people with serious injuries react 

If anyone was still in any doubt about the role of cheating in the game... 

It's almost as effective/important as good coaching and footballing ability. 

Give me back the football of yesteryear. Wasn't perfect, but a whole lot better than this sh**. 

The footballing authorities love cheating and are slowly turning this sport into the pantomime that wrestling is. 

50 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

If anyone was still in any doubt about the role of cheating in the game... 

It's almost as effective/important as good coaching and footballing ability. 

Give me back the football of yesteryear. Wasn't perfect, but a whole lot better than this sh**. 

The footballing authorities love cheating and are slowly turning this sport into the pantomime that wrestling is. 

Not the football authorities at all that love cheating - it’s highly strung foreign imports who were brought up playing in a culture where conning the referee was seen as gaining street cred.

Maradona and Neymar are perfect examples.

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not the football authorities at all that love cheating - it’s highly strung foreign imports who were brought up playing in a culture where conning the referee was seen as gaining street cred.

Disagree. 

If I make and implement the rules and I close my eyes to cheating, then I actively support it. 

21 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Disagree. 

If I make and implement the rules and I close my eyes to cheating, then I actively support it. 

I guess it’s about whether you see conning the referee as cheating or not. Some of these imports are particularly experienced at it and therefore not easy to tell which it is.

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I guess it’s about whether you see conning the referee as cheating or not. Some of these imports are particularly experienced at it and therefore not easy to tell which it is.

Each to their own. I feel perfectly capable of spotting cheating. 

2 key changes would help. 

1) all players must make every attempt to remain on their feet (or words to that effect). Any ref who feels a player is going to ground without clear effort to stay on their feet during a tackle will be under no obligation to award a free kick. 

2) any player requiring treatment or causing a stop in play will be required to spend a precautionary 5 mins off the pitch. 

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

I don't think Maradona was one to go down with the slightest touch.

15 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

1) all players must make every attempt to remain on their feet (or words to that effect). Any ref who feels a player is going to ground without clear effort to stay on their feet during a tackle will be under no obligation to award a free kick. 

2) any player requiring treatment or causing a stop in play will be required to spend a precautionary 5 mins off the pitch. 

So if your star striker is taken out by a particularly brutal foul, he is then penalised by having to stand on the  sidelines for 5 minutes, after having the blood wiped off of his face, while his team are down to 10 men?  Mean time, the perpetrator plays on and scores from a corner, as the opposition player who should be marking him, is not on the pitch?   Hmmmmmm......   have you thought this through?

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

So if your star striker is taken out by a particularly brutal foul, he is then penalised by having to stand on the  sidelines for 5 minutes, after having the blood wiped off of his face, while his team are down to 10 men?  Mean time, the perpetrator plays on and scores from a corner, as the opposition player who should be marking him, is not on the pitch?   Hmmmmmm......   have you thought this through?

The rules (not always applied) say that if the fouler is cautioned the injured player doesn’t have to leave the field.  There’s a bit of common sense at last, just wish refs remembered it.

16 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

I think routine video scrutiny of all PL games should be undertaken with retrospective cards awarded for obvious dives - a red if the dive was in the penalty box, otherwise a yellow. The system of having specific incidents referred to the FA panel clearly is insufficient. 

I have some sympathy with refs who have to watch more than one thing in fast-moving games and feel they need to err on the side of caution rather than ignore what might be, when reviewed, a foul.

Re: @Robbored's suggestion that diving was brought to English football by "highly strung, foreign imports" I have two words Francis Lee. 

18 hours ago, Robbored said:

As opposed to our brave British lads who respect the laws of the game and would never hope to prosper by any underhand means where they may gain an advantage.

Thank god the Corinthian spirit still exists ; a gentleman would never commit a deliberate foul on an opponent.

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Re: @Robbored's suggestion that diving was brought to English football by "highly strung, foreign imports" I have two words Francis Lee. 

Francis Lee was a rarity in those days probably the only one. The nearest to him for falling over in the box was Rodney Marsh.

23 hours ago, Robbored said:

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think routine video scrutiny of all PL games should be undertaken with retrospective cards awarded for obvious dives - a red if the dive was in the penalty box, otherwise a yellow. The system of having specific incidents referred to the FA panel clearly is insufficient. 

I have some sympathy with refs who have to watch more than one thing in fast-moving games and feel they need to err on the side of caution rather than ignore what might be, when reviewed, a foul.

Francis Lee was the name that immediately came to mind when reading this thread. However, I think it’s fair to say that back in the day players like him were in a very small minority.

I’ve long felt that the problem we now have started when football’s governing bodies made the decision to outlaw that tackle from behind, In fairness something needed to be done because back then players were literally assaulted by a tackle going “right through them, particularly when dished out by the hardmen of the day, with their health and careers potentially at risk. With more money, particularly television coming into the game, the authorities wanted to protect skilful players, as they provided the product football’s governing bodies thought the public wanted to see and pay to see,

Unfortunately, this opened the door for players to take advantage of this new ruling by using simulation to con referees into penalising opponents. The influx of foreign players only exacerbated this, a they came from leagues abroad where  simulation - diving, feigning injury etc. - were common place, compared to what we had experienced and they were more adept. 

We’ve heard many times that small margins make a difference in top level football. Unfortunately, I think it is now inbred into modern footballers that one of the small margins is “cheating” to gain that advantage. Expressions like “ he took one for the team”, “he was entitled to go down” are common place and a reflection as to how cheating has become almost an accepted part of the game. For all their undoubted skip and technical ability, watch how few break away goals are scored against Man City, as you can guarantee that one of their midfield/defenders will “take one for the team” by blocking, holding or tripping an opponent making a quick break.

Isn’t it a sad reflection on where the game is now, that I’ve read many posts criticising recent City teams not being as “smart” as opponents in employing these “dark arts”?

On 09/03/2021 at 09:22, maxjak said:

Refs discretion.

If he's badly injured enough to need help, I say he needs 5 mins off. Else shake it off and carry on. 

In my entire time playing football as a kid/teenager I never needed attention on the pitch and, for the most part, neither do players. Unless it's serious you can run things off. 

A sponge and a chat really don't help 99.5% of 'injuries'. Honest.

Watch football from 40 years ago - they managed it then. 

Absolutely cringed on my sofa when I saw that. As previously mentioned when you suffer a very serious injury noise is either minimal or non-existent. 

That was three or four full lungs of air’s worth of screaming the loudest he possibly could - and he didn’t even receive any treatment to top it off.

Absolute whopper.

10 minutes ago, YCbrs said:

Absolutely cringed on my sofa when I saw that. As previously mentioned when you suffer a very serious injury noise is either minimal or non-existent. 

That was three or four full lungs of air’s worth of screaming the loudest he possibly could - and he didn’t even receive any treatment to top it off.

Absolute whopper.

Yep

I remember breaking my collar bone, could barely breath, much less scream.

On 08/03/2021 at 14:28, Red-Robbo said:

That's the thing isn't it, people who do suffer a really serious injury tend not to scream or writhe around. The shock effect means they are usually still and silent.

Remember when George Elokobi suffered that horrendous ankle fracture in his only match playing for us? We all heard the crunch, but there was no shouting and yelling from poor George. In fact, he was waving and smiling at the crowd when he was stretchered off. Shock was clearly minimising the pain.

I think refs should all be made to talk to a trauma surgeon to learn about how people with serious injuries react 

His foot looked like it was hanging off and yet he was so blasé about it!  @sinenomine and I joked at the time that he probably drove himself to the hospital!!!!

Archived