IGNORED

Glasgow Rangers

Bob Thompson

I was at Ashton Gate for the rise to the first division. The excitement of getting there. Then the dreadful fall to bottom of Division 4. Rangers fans and staff have felt the same. Just think how emotional they must feel now after climbing all the way up. After many setbacks we are still on the journey. For now, well done Rangers ,Congratulations showing it can be done!

41 minutes ago, Bob Thompson said:

I was at Ashton Gate for the rise to the first division. The excitement of getting there. Then the dreadful fall to bottom of Division 4. Rangers fans and staff have felt the same. Just think how emotional they must feel now after climbing all the way up. After many setbacks we are still on the journey. For now, well done Rangers ,Congratulations showing it can be done!

Rangers won everything for years and then were part of a two team annual contest until they got demoted for financial irregularities.

They've powered back to the top with massive assistance from an existing fanbase and the commercial opportunities afforded to a "big club". This season they have very effectively taken advantage of an absolute collapse from the other big club in Scotland but there is literally no comparison with them and us.

I've never really understood why some of our fans feel an affinity with an entitled club from Scotland that win everything because expect to win everything and in no way reciprocate that affection but the idea we are a role model they can follow is utterly comical. It's no different to when Juventus got demoted for cheating. The cream always rises back up because the system is rigged so the big clubs win and the small clubs lose. I don't feel any reason to celebrate the fact that the structure of football has ensured that - even after financial conduct and blowing a position clubs would envy and leaving a trail of creditors that will include small traders who will have been ruined by Rangers defaulting on their commitments - the big guys win again. 

18 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

They may well do but can’t argue the fact they have been just as impressive in the Europa League this season.

Have they?...............:dunno:

I take absolutely zero interest in the SPL. 

I find it dull and predictable............:fastasleep:

26 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Rangers won everything for years and then were part of a two team annual contest until they got demoted for financial irregularities.

They've powered back to the top with massive assistance from an existing fanbase and the commercial opportunities afforded to a "big club". This season they have very effectively taken advantage of an absolute collapse from the other big club in Scotland but there is literally no comparison with them and us.

I've never really understood why some of our fans feel an affinity with an entitled club from Scotland that win everything because expect to win everything and in no way reciprocate that affection but the idea we are a role model they can follow is utterly comical. It's no different to when Juventus got demoted for cheating. The cream always rises back up because the system is rigged so the big clubs win and the small clubs lose. I don't feel any reason to celebrate the fact that the structure of football has ensured that - even after financial conduct and blowing a position clubs would envy and leaving a trail of creditors that will include small traders who will have been ruined by Rangers defaulting on their commitments - the big guys win again. 

It's not that deep mate. Rangers vs Elgin City, I mean come on ? They kept a lot of players from 2012 who would predictably batter the lower divisions and Rangers would always have the pull on signing players based on the size of club.

If Celtic were in their position, the same thing would definitely have happened. The cream always rises and they deserve some credit for steamrolling the league and stopping Celtic's dominance finally.

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

It's not that deep mate. Rangers vs Elgin City, I mean come on ? They kept a lot of players from 2012 who would predictably batter the lower divisions and Rangers would always have the pull on signing players based on the size of club.

If Celtic were in their position, the same thing would definitely have happened. The cream always rises and they deserve some credit for steamrolling the league and stopping Celtic's dominance finally.

Exactly my point. Bar the end of the last sentence. I see no reason why any of us should give a hoot which of the financially dominant clubs in Scotland wins the league. It is still a victory for the big fish in the tiny pond. So what?

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Exactly my point. 

But it isn't rigged, it's just the way Football is and why it's the most competitive World Sport. The dream and hope of being a Rangers or Celtic in Scotland for the Smaller clubs will always be there. The SFA didn't give Rangers a helping hand really, it was just the pull of the club that gave them a head start. Like Leeds in League 1 in 2007.

Accrington Stanley are competing with Sunderland pretty well in League 1 so wages are not always a factor when it comes to success, but it helps

36 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Well done the Gers, truly deserved after years of anti Rangers bashing up in Scotland. Can't keep a club of that size down for long.

**** Celtic and their hatred of all things British.

Yep 100% agree.. And just to make it a bit more special they'll get their trophy presented next game.... at Park Head!!

21 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

I just feel if the Welsh teams can join our leagues why can’t the Scots?

I feel it's too late now. If Celtic and Rangers were to join, then the financial backdrop on the rest of the SPL would be terrible as advertisements and TV companies would pull out, such is the pull of both sides. Without Rangers in the top flight the Coefficient of the League plummeted over 4 years which is an example of where Scottish football would go without both. The coefficient is now slowly improving with both sides being competitive in European competition and potentially both sides may be able to qualify for the Champions League next season which will give another Scottish team an even better chance to qualify for the Europa League.

Without them both the coefficient goes down and the chances of European qualification for these sides and it diminishes as does the financial side.

The rest of Scotland may hate Celtic and Rangers but the top flight teams have to also recognise the importance of having both teams in their League is crucial for their sides staying afloat and being able to sign some players from England. You would more or less have to invite Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts across too.

Also, SNP does not agree with your stance at all.

1 hour ago, alexukhc said:

I just feel if the Welsh teams can join our leagues why can’t the Scots?

If they want to join the English lower leagues like Swansea and Cardiff then perhaps, you just know they’d demand joining the premier league though, why should two teams be automatically placed there over other EFL clubs trying to reach the division? 

6 hours ago, 2015 said:

But it isn't rigged, it's just the way Football is and why it's the most competitive World Sport. The dream and hope of being a Rangers or Celtic in Scotland for the Smaller clubs will always be there. The SFA didn't give Rangers a helping hand really, it was just the pull of the club that gave them a head start. Like Leeds in League 1 in 2007.

Accrington Stanley are competing with Sunderland pretty well in League 1 so wages are not always a factor when it comes to success, but it helps

Sure - but it is inevitable the bigger clubs climb back up eventually. It was inevitable Rangers would get into the top flight and, once they were there, it was inevitable they would be the ones to capitalise if Celtic ever had a bad season given how gargantuan Rangers and Celtic are compared to all the other clubs.

I accepted “rigged” was a bit of a strong term on my part but I still don’t get why I am supposed to be celebrating or impressed by the other of the two big clubs  in Scotland winning the league or treating it as some sort of fairytale. I’ve never understood the Rangers love in from some City fans and the idea from the OP that Rangers success somehow mirrors us is bizarre given Rangers are a historically huge club in Scotland and we are historically a long way off that in England and Rangers fans are hardly long suffering in the grand scheme of things. Why am I supposed to be pleased or impressed by a Goliath versus Goliath story where Goliath won?

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Have they?...............:dunno:

I take absolutely zero interest in the SPL. 

I find it dull and predictable............:fastasleep:

Well firstly knowing what's going on in the Europa league has nothing to do with the SPL

But secondly, once again you've opened a topic very clear by it's title discussing Scottish football. Dull and predictable, yep.

4 hours ago, Lrrr said:

If they want to join the English lower leagues like Swansea and Cardiff then perhaps, you just know they’d demand joining the premier league though, why should two teams be automatically placed there over other EFL clubs trying to reach the division? 

Why should they take a lower league place away from a non-league team that's been trying to reach the football league?

Just leave them where they are in my opinion.

Don’t often watch Scottish football and on the odd occasion I have, it’s to watch the old firm game. I switched on yesterday and watched the full 90 of Celtic v Dundee. My word, it was absolutely diar - the level of ball mastery and failure to pick our teammates was atrocious. I then remembered the 70% of fixtures I’d seen of us this season. 

In all honesty, what a decline for Celtic. 

(also if Bentley was to go at the end of the season, the Dundee keeper may be worth a second look)

46 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Well firstly knowing what's going on in the Europa league has nothing to do with the SPL

But secondly, once again you've opened a topic very clear by it's title discussing Scottish football. Dull and predictable, yep.

Why should they take a lower league place away from a non-league team that's been trying to reach the football league?

Just leave them where they are in my opinion.

I completely agree.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

55 league titles! Wow! Well done The Teddy Bears! Most successful domestic team in the World - incredible stuff! 

26 shots at the European Cup, and, er, well, one semi final is it?

Meanwhile, Nottm Forest: one League title and two European Cups! ?

The greatest achievement or feather in Scottish football's cap remains 1967 and Rangers are never going to match that. 

7 hours ago, 2015 said:

I feel it's too late now. If Celtic and Rangers were to join, then the financial backdrop on the rest of the SPL would be terrible as advertisements and TV companies would pull out, such is the pull of both sides. Without Rangers in the top flight the Coefficient of the League plummeted over 4 years which is an example of where Scottish football would go without both. The coefficient is now slowly improving with both sides being competitive in European competition and potentially both sides may be able to qualify for the Champions League next season which will give another Scottish team an even better chance to qualify for the Europa League.

Without them both the coefficient goes down and the chances of European qualification for these sides and it diminishes as does the financial side.

The rest of Scotland may hate Celtic and Rangers but the top flight teams have to also recognise the importance of having both teams in their League is crucial for their sides staying afloat and being able to sign some players from England. You would more or less have to invite Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts across too.

Also, SNP does not agree with your stance at all.

Plus we might have to go up to Fort William on a Tuesday night...

Archived