IGNORED

Glasgow Rangers

Bob Thompson

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Makes it even weirder when he says he has ‘zero interest’ in Scottish football thus admitting he doesn’t know the quality of the side and by proxy whether they’d compete at CL level.

My opinion on Scottish football is based on the evidence - a two club league neither of whom achieve anything in Europe.

The SPL is simply not competitive enough because of the Glasgow clubs. It’s always been that way.

What’s really impressive in the English PL is the 21 consecutive wins achieved by Man City ended yesterday by their arch rivals. 

I can’t see 21 straight wins ever being beaten.

Thats what we should be congratulating not the Mickey Mouse SPL being won by anyone but Celtic.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What’s really impressive in the English PL is the 21 consecutive wins achieved by Man City ended yesterday by their arch rivals. 

I can’t see 21 straight wins ever being beaten.

Why not start another thread about it then?

13 minutes ago, Super said:

Why not start another thread about it then?

I was waiting for another poster to start such a thread but no....what we get is a thread about Rangers winning the the Mickey Mouse SPL.

To me and I suspect others think that 21 consecutive wins is truly astonishing, almost on par with the Arsenal invincibles.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I was waiting for another poster to start such a thread but no....what we get is a thread about Rangers winning the the Mickey Mouse SPL.

To me and I suspect others think that 21 consecutive wins in the PL is truly astonishing, almost on par with the Arsenal invincibles.

It’s not 21 straight PL wins it was 21 in all competitions, still impressive but not what you’re saying it is 

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

It’s not 21 straight PL wins it was 21 in all competitions, still impressive but not what you’re saying it is 

So does that devalue such an achievement?  Not in my book. 21 straight wins is remarkable at at level of professional football.

It really is no achievement whatsoever to win the Scottish league when the only other side that can ever do so has a season when they completely implode.

It is simply an awful standard, the bottom six would have a real job to survive in League One, those outside of the big two aren’t Championship standard, Aberdeen considered the 3rd biggest side recently sold a player to Birmingham, he was by far their top scorer & already looks out of his depth down here, likewise Dykes who plays for Scotland at QPR.

I am not remotely bothered by either side in truth but winning a two horse race every so often is really nothing to crow about.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So does that devalue such an achievement?  Not in my book. 21 straight wins is remarkable at at level of professional football.

Merely pointing out it’s not what you were claiming it was as it included wins against Cheltenham, Birmingham and Swansea 

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It really is no achievement whatsoever to win the Scottish league when the only other side that can ever do so has a season when they completely implode.

It is simply an awful standard, the bottom six would have a real job to survive in League One, those outside of the big two aren’t Championship standard, Aberdeen considered the 3rd biggest side recently sold a player to Birmingham, he was by far their top scorer & already looks out of his depth down here, likewise Dykes who plays for Scotland at QPR.

I am not remotely bothered by either side in truth but winning a two horse race every so often is really nothing to crow about.

I’d still say their defensive record is impressive, in the last 9 seasons with Celtic winning the title they’d usually concede mid 20’s a season a bad season low 30’s abs their best high teens, rangers have conceded 9 with 4 or 5 games left

Probably this was commented on at the time but Jay Emmanuel-Thomas who has been out of the game for a couple of years scored the equaliser against Celtic a few weeks ago. When I do watch Scottish football highlights for the odd game I do usually think the quality of goals is quite poor but considering the size of Scotland I think they do pretty well and they must have 2 of the biggest 5 clubs in Britain. Will be interesting to see how Rangers do in the last 16 in europe, believe they are playing the team who knocked out Leicester in the last round so I expect them to also lose but hope they can keep it going. And I can't lie I enjoyed watching the fans coming together and celebrating on the weekend.

We all know pro football is about money. But any fan who has seen their team go from top to bottom Is depressed. Some leave( City down to gates less than 4000) some continue and hope. Any team that gets back right to the top is to be congratulated. I as a City fan am still on the journey!

10 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

...demoted for financial irregularities.

Something greater than 'financial irregularities.' Fraud and massive Tax Evasion to start with for which they should have been punished by wholesale expulsion from all future competition.

It might help those today praising one of Pub Football's finest to realise that you can't have it both ways.  If you wish to claim all those victories and trophies bought by fraudulent advantage you should at least acknowledge they did so by cheating. Similarly, if you wish to claim those victories and trophies you should acknowledge the club that won yesterday has NOTHING to do with the fraudsters who did buy those titles, for they were liquidated in 2015. As mentioned elsewhere, it's not just the small folks who lost out when being obliged to enter CVAs or who gained nothing from liquidation, it's also us taxpayers who Rangers systematically and over a period of many decades defrauded in huge sums.

Some cause for celebration that.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

My opinion on Scottish football is based on the evidence - a two club league neither of whom achieve anything in Europe.

The SPL is simply not competitive enough because of the Glasgow clubs. It’s always been that way.

Add that when Rangers went to the wall, IIRC Celtic's upper management openly gloated. There hasn't been, and won't be any investment into the Scots game to raise the quality of other sides to a level comparable to even where Rangers are at now, yet doing so would lead to more variety in teams qualifying for Europe, attracting more international interest and investment accross the board.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Being quite serious, Bristol Rovers are bigger than at least five of the twelve teams competing in the SPL this season.

Just to put Rangers and Celtic's domestic "achievements" into perspective...

Ashton Gate has a bigger capacity than St Mirren, St Johnstone and Hamilton's grounds put together. 

It may be a Mickey Mouse league, but it’s the only one they can play in, so I can understand their fans being exuberant about winning it.  Bit like whoever wins the league of Wales, they’ll celebrate and be chuffed.  So when compared with the Premier League, Serie A et al, they are behind, but whilst Scotland is a two horse race, the other top leagues around the world don’t have too many more genuine contenders.

There are quite a few clubs who have fallen from grace and even gone out of business. Bury, comes to mind. There are still Bury supporters and quite a few from other clubs recognise that true fans support the team not necessarily the people who run them. Ask the gas heads? 

20 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

Add that when Rangers went to the wall, IIRC Celtic's upper management openly gloated. There hasn't been, and won't be any investment into the Scots game to raise the quality of other sides to a level comparable to even where Rangers are at now, yet doing so would lead to more variety in teams qualifying for Europe, attracting more international interest and investment accross the board.

Brendan Rodgers said after he’d left Celtic that if the SPL had the same investment as the PL then they’d be a much greater force in Europe.

Problem is tho if you’re Scottish and follow the SPL religiously (excuse the pun) the viewing figures just aren’t aren’t there. Hardly any non Scottish fans care one iota about the game north of the border and I’m one of them.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Brendan Rodgers said after he’d left Celtic that if the SPL had the same investment as the PL then they’d be a much greater force in Europe.

Problem is tho if you’re Scottish and follow the SPL religiously (excuse the pun) the viewing aren’t just aren’t there. Hardly any non Scottish fans care one iota about the game north of the border and I’m one of them.

I'm two of them

13 hours ago, Bob Thompson said:

I was at Ashton Gate for the rise to the first division. The excitement of getting there. Then the dreadful fall to bottom of Division 4. Rangers fans and staff have felt the same. Just think how emotional they must feel now after climbing all the way up. After many setbacks we are still on the journey. For now, well done Rangers ,Congratulations showing it can be done!

Couldn't care less, any more than I care who won the Welsh league.

Why do so many City fans give a rat's about Rangers? Just because we played them in one friendly...

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Problem is tho if you’re Scottish and follow the SPL religiously (excuse the pun) the viewing figures just aren’t aren’t there. Hardly any non Scottish fans care one iota about the game north of the border and I’m one of them.

And yet here you are commenting more than anyone else on a topic you don't care about ?‍♂️

24 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

And yet here you are commenting more than anyone else on a topic you don't care about ?‍♂️

Relax. The bowls season will be starting up again soon he'll have something to do then.

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

In the 1980s, think you'll find Scottish sides were quite competitive in Europe and possibly before that period. Not just big 2 either.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

They would pay more in wages for definite but would they attract the best to that division? I’m unsure 

11 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Something greater than 'financial irregularities.' Fraud and massive Tax Evasion to start with for which they should have been punished by wholesale expulsion from all future competition.

It might help those today praising one of Pub Football's finest to realise that you can't have it both ways.  If you wish to claim all those victories and trophies bought by fraudulent advantage you should at least acknowledge they did so by cheating. Similarly, if you wish to claim those victories and trophies you should acknowledge the club that won yesterday has NOTHING to do with the fraudsters who did buy those titles, for they were liquidated in 2015. As mentioned elsewhere, it's not just the small folks who lost out when being obliged to enter CVAs or who gained nothing from liquidation, it's also us taxpayers who Rangers systematically and over a period of many decades defrauded in huge sums.

Some cause for celebration that.

Could not have put it better.

All this nonsense about 55 titles - simply not true.

They should never have been allowed to enter the league structure at the level they did, absolute farce, they should have started at the lowest level possible.

It is worth remembering that all of the SPL clubs except one, Kilmarnock IIRC, were ‘happy’ with the New Rangers or Servco as they were known in Scotland to remain in the SPL, That was until the supporters of said clubs made it abundantly clear that voting for that would have ended with deserted stadiums every week.

They cheated, it is as simple as that.

Archived