IGNORED

Newcastle Utd - No relegation clauses in player contracts

Lrrr

In their most recent published accounts, for the financial year ending June 2019, Newcastle had a player wage bill of £96.8 million. Since then they have signed Joelinton, Allan Saint-Maximin, Callum Wilson and Ryan Fraser.

This was the case last time they went down. Great weekend up in Newcastle for the away game. 

Was looking forward to Watching Fabio Collocini who I used to sign on old school football manager on £60k+ a week up against Maynard and Haynes..... And he didn't play ??

3 hours ago, Banned User said:

Didn't have a negative effect last time they went down 

Trouble is this time they will sack the only manager capable of returning them straight back to the top flight. Last time they had Benitez and the time before that Hughton.

What with a player sale and Ashley losing out on the Arab buyers (if they go down) I don't think things look quite so rosy this time around.

I hope they and their deluded fans do get relegated. I would much rather see Brighton or Fulham stay up.

2 hours ago, The Batman said:

This was the case last time they went down. Great weekend up in Newcastle for the away game. 

Was looking forward to Watching Fabio Collocini who I used to sign on old school football manager on £60k+ a week up against Maynard and Haynes..... And he didn't play ??

He did in the home game - did you make that one?

19 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He did in the home game - did you make that one?

I didn't. But I do recall that game being on TV. 

Living in the Midlands, I didn't make any home games but I did the majority of the away games that season. 

12 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Fulham and Brighton could easily overtake Newcastle.

Brighton vs Newcastle next weekend is a 9 pointer.

Wonder where Joelinton would end up, he's got to be up there for Premier League worst signings ever.

Fulham host Newcastle on the final day of the season too.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Aaaaah Newcastle. Big club, best fans in the world, deserve success, blah blah blah 

Absolute myth of a club. Rubbish. 

Lots of talk recently about the 1-0 win over the few when Louie Donowa got the winner.

Our next game after that was Newcastle away (only time I’ve ever been) it finished 0-0, they were booed off by a crowd I’m pretty sure was around 14,000.

If you listen to the media now you would never know they ever had crowds like that.

Rovers like in their attempts to re-write history.

46 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Newcastle coming down would probably be a bad thing for us (if we consider ourselves vague promotion hopefuls). They've dominated the league and gone straight back up every time they've come down previously.

I'm not so sure this time, they'd need to offload players as their wage bill is too large to single handedly be covered by parachute payments. Yes they'd still be able to sell some of their players for a good price but I can't see it being as easy as the previous times.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Lots of talk recently about the 1-0 win over the few when Louie Donowa got the winner.

Our next game after that was Newcastle away (only time I’ve ever been) it finished 0-0, they were booed off by a crowd I’m pretty sure was around 14,000.

If you listen to the media now you would never know they ever had crowds like that.

13,500. They averaged about 16,800 that season. How times have changed.

4 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Fulham and Brighton could easily overtake Newcastle.

Brighton vs Newcastle next weekend is a 9 pointer.

Wonder where Joelinton would end up, he's got to be up there for Premier League worst signings ever.

£40m wasn't he? And his record in Germany wasn't great before that 

1 minute ago, paul_fox said:

Don’t watch much PL stuff but according to analyst folk I follow on twitter, he’s not a striker but more of a 10, and therefore been played out of position.  Dunno whether that’s true or not.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t watch much PL stuff but according to analyst folk I follow on twitter, he’s not a striker but more of a 10, and therefore been played out of position.  Dunno whether that’s true or not.

Ah could make sense although not built like a typical 10, more Heskey when I've seen him and wears the ' famous' No9 shirt there so guess he wouldn't get that if he wasn't a striker? 

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nah I don’t think so. He played upfront for Hoffenheim because Kramaric was their AM type. Maybe he’s more of a second striker, playing just off another striker but never is he a traditional 10 or even an AM. He’s just a bit shit

There was a statistic in yesterday's Times that since Mike Ashley bought Newcastle in 2007, their average league position among the 92 has been 14th (counting top of the Championship as 21st), and that in the preceding 70 seasons their average league position was 17th. 

So, on Ashley's watch they've actually finished three places higher on average than their long term mean before he bought them. 

Newcastle fans would no doubt argue that their performance in the more recent period before Ashley came in is a more appropriate yardstick to measure their achievement under his ownership, but it's easy to forget that for a very long time before that they were very much an 'also ran'.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, PPs will cover them initially.

it will, they also made some good Profit on Player Sales that year.

Took quite the gamble though- reading back on it after seeing this article, their wage bill though I assume Promotion Bonuses Included was an eyewatering £112m!? ? Within FFP though due to a) PP, b) Player Sales, c) Two previously Profitable PL seasons- in which the upper limit is £35m- and some of that wage bill would have been acceleration of payoffs/paying unwanted players- frontloading some losses. Some of that wage bill would have included the once off hit for Onerous Contracts etc.

However by their own admission, huge problems had they stayed down a second season- they also would have lost Benitez! Gayle, Ritchie too I'd have thought.

2 hours ago, paul_fox said:

I always thought he was more prolific in Germany, but WhoScored says 7 goals and 5 assists in 25 starts plus 3 sub appearances.

Also possible of course that Benitez might have got more out of him than Bruce. They have some quite good attacking individuals, but query whether Bruce is the man to unlock them- at PL level anyway.

16 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I went to that.  Shocking game of football with zero atmosphere from home fans. 

Few months later we played them after Keegan arrived and got beat 5-0 in front of 30,000.  Locals dressed in Celtic shirts were trying to get into the away end as they couldn't get in the home end.  Crowd awarded 2 penalties for David Kelly and Gavin Peacock collapsing unaided in the penalty box.  Couldn't have been more different.  the first game has been washed out of history though.

14 hours ago, North London Red said:

There was a statistic in yesterday's Times that since Mike Ashley bought Newcastle in 2007, their average league position among the 92 has been 14th (counting top of the Championship as 21st), and that in the preceding 70 seasons their average league position was 17th. 

So, on Ashley's watch they've actually finished three places higher on average than their long term mean before he bought them. 

Newcastle fans would no doubt argue that their performance in the more recent period before Ashley came in is a more appropriate yardstick to measure their achievement under his ownership, but it's easy to forget that for a very long time before that they were very much an 'also ran'.

And our 'mean' league position, since before 1900 is in the top 2 of league one. Do LJ's final league positions (and cup semi final) make him our second / third most successful manager of all time ?

statistically - yes

stylistically - no

Archived